Reviews Stresswon - Eyerockmics Vol. 1

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
eyerockmics_cover.jpg

Stresswon is back with a new mixtape comprised of new original material as well as freestyles over well known beats. If you're a true ILL head, I'm sure you're very familiar with the man; if you're new here here's a quick summary: born in NJ but now residing in PA , he's been active on IllMuzik starting from 2003, releasing several solo and collaborative albums since then. Equipped with a deep booming voice, he's definitely boom bap! He also became a skilled producer, crafting beats reflecting this particular emceeing style. Furthermore, Stresswon is part of Order 66 and Raw Nature, two crews with ties to NJ. Now time for the review:

1. EyeRockmics Intro (N/A)

This is a funny skit about Superman (Stresswon's blaze -Last Son-) over a nice piano beat.

2. It's Dope Man - produced by DJ Excellence (4 out of 5)

A mellow vibe track with strong punch lines. In addition to a nice take on Lady Gaga's Pokerface. What more could you want?

3. What's the Name - produced by DJ Excellence (4.5 out of 5)

This track holds a strong hip hop feel to it. Dope flip from DJ Excellence. Stress throws down a fast pace flow to this track to give you a solid package.

4. Fuck that Dough feat. C4 - produced by Stresswon (4.5 out of 5)

Very nice guitar driven instrumental here, Stresswon and C4 ride the smooth beat perfectly, insisting they're not in it for the money.

5. Nine Problems Freestyle (4 out of 5)

Stress attacks the Rick Rubin beat with ferocity. Obvious theme here, it's all about problems. I feel the hook is slightly offbeat, but overall it's a nice freestyle.

6. Lyrical Seance feat. Fizix, Prophet, Benny Buku - produced by Stresswon (2.5 out of 5)

Stresswon is spitting rhymes with his friends from Raw Nature. Emceeing-wise, everybody comes correct, however the beat is borderline atrocious with sharp atonal strings, the occasional switch ups make the listening experience a bit more enjoyable though.

7. Tell All Ya Friends - produced by DJ G-Man (4.5 out of 5)

Nice energetic early 90's influenced beat for this bravado track. Stresswon attacks the beat with authority.

8. Stress Factor Freestyle (4.5 out of 5)

Riding a smooth Beatnuts beat, Stress verbally assaults fake emcees very convincingly.

9.Weedhead - produced by DJ Excellence (3.5 out of 5)

The beat and lyrics actually mix so well in this track. A perfect track to blaze one up to.

10. Bring it Back feat. Vast Air - produced by Domingo (5 out of 5)

Soulful track featuring two legends: Vast Air on the mic and Domingo on the beat. While Vast Air is bragging about his mic skills amongst other things, Stresswon talks about the need to bring back the East Coast boom bap. I'm really feeling the beat which features a superb sped up vocal sample.

11. Put Ya Wons Up Freestyle (5 out of 5)

Stress uses a famous Pharoahe Monch beat here. I must say I'm very impressed with the aggressive flow and adaption work.

12. Make it Hot - produced by Stresswon (3 out of 5)

Another bravado track. I'm not really feeling the monotone electro beat, despite the dope Black Moon and Big Pun vocal samples.

13. Wrong Won - produced by Domingo (3.5 out of 5)

The beat is okay but I was expecting more of Domingo. The drums are nice but the main sample lacks musicality. Stress rhymes about his superiority.

14. Risin' 2 tha Top - produced by DJ Excellence (4 out of 5 )

A simple beat for a low vibe (definitely a car tune). This gives the lyrics a nice nest for Stress to bring you a strong flow.

15. Look Around - produced by DJ Excellence (3.5 out of 5)

Dope beat by Excellence and an expected flow combination from Stress.

16. 32 Bars - produced by DJ 2good (4 out of 5)

Solid piano driven instrumental by 2good. Stress brags about his lyrical skills.

17. Stoneface Tree Session (N/A)

A funny skit featuring Stress and friends (drinking and smoking?).

18.Bonus Winter feat Stoneface produced by Fury (4 out of 5)

Stress and Stoneface come correct on the mic but the main sample is a bit irritating (the switch up is mad nice tho).

19. Bonus TNT - produced by Classic (3.5 out of 5)

The track reveals Stress' more conscious side, featuring lyrics about poverty. The beat is not bad, just a bit too melodramatic and therefore becoming somewhat annoying.

20. Bonus Cookie Jar Freestyle (4.5 out 5)

This is a freestyle featuring Stresswon's associates over a superb beat with a nice vocal sample.

Stresswon came up with a solid mixtape with many stand out tracks, however the final score would be higher had he included less filler. Nonetheless I strongly suggest you cop this (the best tracks being Stresswon's best work in my opinion).

Don't Forget to Visit:

Note: co-reviewed by Kontents

Score: 4 / 5