Interviews Tactik Talks About His Sample-Based Beats

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
tactik1000.jpg

Being a member of IllMuzik since 2006, Tactik has always stayed the course and continues to consistently put out dope Hip Hop tracks. He recently won the Warzone Beat Battle with his sampled-based productions, so I asked him a few questions about his techniques. Check it out...

So, Tactik, you recently won the Warzone Beat Battle, what's up?

This is my first Warzone battle. Now that I see we have points for being victorious, it's time to get busy and compete some more! I've usually just been entering themed Beat This battles so I make a beat exclusively for IllMuzik.

Your beats throughout were really on point and it was really close in the final round. How did you put together those beats?

Choppin' those samples that trigger me to flip up a beat! It always starts with a sample in Tactik's realm. Finding more samples to match up is the hardest, but adding voices is my favorite.

I've noticed that all your beats have always been sample-heavy but they come out smooth. How do you do it?

All kinds of filtering and compression makes it possible to blend different sounds to run along smoothly with each other. Lots of work, but always worth the effort in the end when you hear the song.

Have you ever dabbled in any synth-based production?

I have no idea how synth-based production even works! WTF are those cords doing?! I am very interested in how it works, but wouldn't surprise me if they just sound similar to 80s or techno instruments. If that's the case, I'm good with Massive for now.

Did you start out as a DJ? Is that why you're so big on vinyl?

Once I started making FL beats in high school a classmate who listened to my beats got me into underground Hip Hop. Not too long after that I bough a turntable and began crate digging, getting those dusty fingers! Big difference in sampling then.

I remember you had an album a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. "Observation" was super dope. What are best types of sounds to look for and sample?

Samples to me are best if they are earlier than the 80s because I'm not looking for digital synth sounds. Single instruments that stand out in a song are the best to chop up and rearrange. Vocals from a song without loud or any drums are my favorite thing to add.

Often times I find it hard to layer certain samples because it gets muddy, so I filter it. What do you do?

Now I am adjusting knobs on Ableton Live to get the sound I'm looking for. Before I was all about looking at the frequency in EQ Eight. That way I could move the levels so each sample had frequencies bumping in different areas and blend better.

Even though you're always putting out the same style of beats consistently, what's your ultimate goal when it comes to producing?

Even though the beats I share on IllMuzik have that same style, the changes in production are always changing. Finding new ways to make beats allows things to be more professional. My goal is to have a producer studio to create my own bands and compose music for media. I can play bass, guitar, drums, keyboard so those skills will always be available.

I know a lot of producers go for the synths today, especially because of copyright issues, but what are your thoughts on it?

Synths have developed quite a genre for Hip Hop. Those 808's really puts a producer in the category to be labeled as Hip Hop right away. I have always had respect for that Dirty South/Trap sound. But those are styles my beats will never have!

I don't worry about copywritten samples that much. If they must be cleared, check this out:
http://blog.discmakers.com/2013/01/copyright-licensing-and-your-music/

How do you put together your drum tracks?

For the breakbeats I am using two of the same ones with different compression/filter effects on top of each other. I'm all about what I would call a "crunchy" sound in drums. Turn this beat up loud and you'll hear that CRUNCH I'm talking about:

The other drums I make on my MPD have enough sound on 'em u can hear it bumpin on your iPhone! Adding more than one kick or snare with different effects can change the sound so much. I prefer to make my own drum beats and almost try to make them sound like a break!

What's the main piece of gear that you work with?

AKAI gear is my favorite. I probably use my MPD the most to flip up samples in a beat. I try to use my APC40 more to control the beat live. Eventually I will be performing with it instead of just recording with it.

If you were offered a production deal with Dr. Dre but it meant you couldn't sample, would you take it? Think about this one!

Good question... I may not make digital style Hip Hop beats now, but Dre must show me his production tricks to get the best of my abilities for his realm if he's gonna sign me.

Do you have any advice for others looking to improve their beatmaking game?

My best tip in producing a song other than mastering it all good with and without your headphones is this... Play a sample, drum, instrument, ect. separately and if it doesn't sound good by itself, don't use it!

Thanks for doing the interview. Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

For sure. Thanks always for making these thing possible!

Shouts outs definitely go to producer homies such as Darko, EIII, Guidebook, G.Rist, Artoo & Slopez...

DJ Aquatic too! Always keepin my blood flowing with dope hip hop every Thursday night at 8-10 on Superradiomix.com

Also props to everyone I see on IllMuzik who is involved with the battles through, beats, votes or just feedback! The great competition from the producers who have been on here for several years have always been keeping it ill.

Peace,
Tak

More Information About Tactik