Interviews 20 Keys

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
20keys1.jpg

After making me wait five minutes for him to get a drink of water, super producer 20Keys agreed to sit and chat with me and I'm glad I kept my impatient ass still. Hailing from Athens, GA 20Keys is most definitely contributing to the hip hop universe in a passionate way. Giving props to Dilla as his biggest influence in the production game with 9th Wonder being a close second, you will understand after listening to the fire he creates why 20Keys will be a name ringing hip hop bells in the near future.

You're a hard man to get in touch with, Mr. Keys. Can I call you 20?

Sure.

Cool! So, what's good? I got goose bumps chilling with you right now. I've bopped my head to several of your tracks. I'm impressed, where do you draw your energy?

Thanks ma! I usually just get motivated by other producers doing their thing, and also by the success we are seeing on the internet with the music.

Isn't the internet a BEAUTIFUL thing?! Like right now I'm cold chilling in my fuzzy slippers; sipping tea doing an exclusive interview with an ill producer - but enough about me.

Ha-ha!

20keys2.jpg

Your flavor definitely has a "northern NYC vibe" that must set you apart from a lot of southern producers huh?

It definitely does but surprisingly there is a big hip hop movement going on in Atlanta.

I heard! Well no not really. But...

Ha-ha!

Tell me about it.

There are a lot of up and coming cats that are getting a lot of recognition right now like Hollyweerd, Stacy Epps, Clan Destined, B.O.B., and of course, my big homie, Trav Williams.

Oh yea Trav Will is buzzing on the 'net hard! Speaking of... I'm feeling "Something New" from "The Trickle Down" album. Great work!!

Thanks ma. That was actually a beat I was considering scrapping, but gave to Trav for the hell of it.

I'm glad you didn't... "ANOTHER man's TRASH"... see the hotness!! What else have you been working on?

I haven't been making much music lately. Just been grinding everyday, pushing Trav's music. We have a couple of projects in the works that are going to blow people's minds though.

I believe you... "The Trickle Down" AND "Bootlegs and B-Sides" definitely blew me away... I have it on my Treo... "Girl Blue" is a classic! I love that sample you used, I think every growing boy should listen to that song! Ha-ha!! Where can a stalker, I mean fan reach you and sample some of your down south cooking?

They can head to MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/20keysofficialtissue

Yay! That Rakim remix is sweet (it's like a sexy hip-hop party on his page.) You're talented.

Thanks. I try my best.

LOL!! Now it's time for a little fun... we're going to play "This or That".

Ha-ha! Alright.

Strawberry cheesecake or strawberry ice cream?

Cheesecake.

Ummm (mental note).

Ha-ha!

Disco or Country?

Disco all day.

(Trashes CMT CD!)

Ha-ha!

Beyonce or Me?

Pink of course!

(Pops collar). In your FACE B!! Before I put this joint out, anybody you want to send smoke signals to?

Yea, shouts to my big homies Trav, Skid, Vice, Keenan, GC, and Kev Nottingham.

OK!! Much love right there. Thank you so much for chatting with me 20, it was a pleasure. Promise you'll give me the red carpet exclusive when you get that Grammy?

Ha-ha! No doubt.

(Smiling). Peace... keep banging baby!

Wrapping it up, 20Keys and the crew are in the kitchen and on the grind contributing to the explosive true hip hop flavor that's bubbling from Down Under. Putting to rest the idea that "The South Killed Hip-Hop". But you don't have to take my glossed lips for it, download the albums.