Interviews Ace The Time

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ace-The-Time-219x300.jpg

IllMuzik own's Ace the time is an emcee/producer from the DC area. Known as Unorthodox (or just Dox) on the forums, he's a versatile artist who's both comfortable with sampling and composing. Now time for the interview.

Wattup Ace?

Ex waddup!

Could you please� briefly introduce yourself?

Sure, I'm Ace the Time, a producer/artist in DC. Voted best artist in DC this year. I love Hip Hop, bacon, and long walks on the beach hahaha

When did you start emceeing and producing?

hmm. I wrote my first rap in 2nd grade, it was diss to one of my friends that got with one of my ex's, (lol). I (literally) MC'd my elementary school graduation & I've been performing publicly (rapping) since....Junior high.

Producing I started in high school so I could rap to it. In 04 I made my first beat, but I've been seriously producing since 2006.

How would you describe your style?

Rap wise, its a loose flow, syllables, word play. etc. The last year or two its been more flow, story focused and honestly, I switch my delivery up every few years, I get bored easy. In a few months I'm gonna blend it all together for the album. Punchline raps and story telling, songwriting etc

Production wise, Its like, Aftermath, meets Jut Blaze, meets Neo Soul and blues. Dark, Chill yet energetic. Very vibe and mood based stuff.

Who are your main influences?

Besides above (Dre, Blaze) everyone from Eminem, Joe Budden, Zion-I, to Last decades Dipset, 50Cent, Tupac, Biggie, Bone Thugs to Souls of Mischeif, Wu Tang, Sugar Hill, to New Birth, Chaka Khan, Gil Scott Heron lol the list goes on!

I've probably listened to everyone from lil Jon to Pet Shop Boys at some point hahah

What's your top 5 Hip Hop albums?

Damn, this question lol! Well, lets see.. Marshal Mathers LP, Me Against The World, College Drop Out, All Eyes on Me, Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

*Note, Alot of these are from when I was younger, alot of Albums dont have the consistency these days.

*Note2 This is off the top of my head lol. Its so hard to pick just 5

What do you prefer? Emceeing or Production?

Emceeing, I'm much better with words. I LOVE language and what it does to you! Production, imo, is an accompanyment to that. Which is weird, I'm actually a non talker, shy guy. MCing gives me a route of expression, so direct, and raw, you cant get it any other way.

I know you both sample and compose, again what's your preference?

Composing, I love challenges! Composing makes me HAVE to be as good as a sample. Effectively, I have to be a band, engineer, songwriter, arranger etc. in order to get the same respect as a sampler. Its a longer road of growth and learning. Not to mention, I can do what ever i want with it! I owe no one money to use it if it just so happens to make it into a superbowl commercial or something lol.

You have recently released an instrumental album entitled "Chill Status", could you please tell us about it?

Sure, Chill Status is a concept album I put together because I have so many beats that dont quite deserve lyrics or, I felt they were too perfect of a moment in musicality, that no one SHOULD rap over it. All of those beats have a part of my heart. They're like my children lol. Some kids make something of themselves and travel the world, other stay home and live with their parents lol! You still love them all the same!

..As for the project as a whole, the mood is to just chill out. Im not a hype type of person, this is like a soundtrack for when you want to zone out, be entertained, engaged etc but you want it chill.

The DC hip hop scene has never really developed, why do you think that is?

smh, man. There are so many reasons I'd need a post to say it all. but mainly, DC is not a hiphop city, its a Go Go city. Complete polar opposites. Hip Hop at its worst is structured and intelligent compared to Go Go, which is straight, untampered, party, let loose, have fun music. Most of the country doesnt even understand it because of this. This is the culture we grow up with in DC.

Now, take into account, most people want nothing to do with an unsigned artist (Only NOW is it acceptable) its an uphill battle into quicksand. Theres no way to build a following here. How can you take over another city if you abandon yours? thats the delimma. Only now is there a out let, Go Go is gettin out of style, and Hip Hop artists have a way to make something of themselves. So you'd think we're on our way out of the problem now right? ...wrong. DC is split up amongst EACH hood (almost, some parts, every block is a different "hood"). Each hood has atleast one rapper. If each hood has a rapper, they are loyal to only him. The only way in is to know someone around there that'll cosign you. Its like a politician campaigning. Unfortunately it doesnt stop there, most people like Gucci, Wayne, etc and if you dont follow that mold, you comin out the gate with a few strikes. Theres more but you should get a understanding based off that. Its deep, really deep. Theres alot of factors in the community and outside but thats a quick run down

With whom would you like to collaborate?

hahah, I owe a few people here tracks!! They're coming! But theres also a few people on ILL I reached out to, I hope they not ducking me!! lol I'm not gonna name any names but we'll see.

I think people dont know I'm diverse, I got a track with Chris Scheidies, no ones heard that style yet. Dont put me in a box, I can do it all. But If anyone has any ideas, Im a nice guy, dont be afraid hahah. I'm always looking to build with people. Always.

Any new projects in the works?

Yea, I said I was releasing 4 projects this year (2010), I released 3. The 4th is 90% done. 30 tracks. This is the mixtape. Tentivly titled.. Casting Call.

I'm working on my next official Album since my debut. Tentively titled, "Davids Soundtrack". Its a bit of a concept project, but its deeper than you may think. I havent released too many details about it yet, I will give a clue though, A dope quote I heard was "Goliath was the greatest thing that ever happened to David...". I'm excited about it!

Thanks for your time. Any shout-outs?

No thank you! I appreciate it! And yea, ALL the Illfam!! Moms, Kiara, Bo, Tony, Donnie, Omega, Shake, Justin, Sean. N, Adebayo, Irisha, Kennisha, Breyon, Frank, Kat, Eddie .B! ALL the people that fight for my music! All the people that got it played on the radio, here and overseas! Everyone that voted me "Best in DC"!! All the supporters!! Thank you!!

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Thanks Dac
Gotcha Relic hahah
Thanks Stress!
Dream *Lifts bacon* *Cheers* haha
Thanks Fade! Tryna stay moving.

members online