Anyone have a DAT machine?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
If so, which one? I'm thinking of copping one and of course I'd go with Tascam but the only one that seems decent for a decent price is the DA-40. I used it once before and it's phat but just curious to see what other people have and what they recommend.

Whatchu got?

H

HiHat

I'd recomend the Panasonic SV-3800/3900. These machines are rock solid.

L

LarryBones

I had a couple DATs for a while but I didn't really see the use of them in my setup and ended up selling. I figured I could store all the beats and songs I made on the hard drive or dump them to CD-R and be able to play them where ever I go to test mixes.. as opposed to the DAT which didn't allow me to do all that.

Maybe I was missing the point though, what are the advantages of recording to DAT as opposed to MiniDiscs or CD-Rs?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The way I see it: DAT tapes are still effective for mixing down because lots of studios still use them, so it's easy to go from studio to studio when working on something.

I also see it as I could record some MIDI onto DAT and then back into my PC as audio, rather than converting MIDI to audio through my sound card (I only have an SBLive soundcard).

But, to each his own.

members online