Apples first ARM Mac's

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Apple just announced their first Mac's with Apples own ARM Cpu's, they are ditching intel and going with their own. I know there is some Apple hate around here but this is a big deal. Looks pretty cool to me.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I just saw this and I'm both surprised and not surprised. I wonder how many people they pissed off at Intel? I figured they must have had some huge deal with them all these years. But I guess they want to keep it consistent with having their own chip.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Intel is still the market leader on desktop by a wide margin but they are clearly stagnating. AMD is actually making great CPU’s again for the first time in decades. Initially Apple switched from power pc to intel because intel was making the best CPU’s for laptops (it was called mobile then) no one had any idea we would all have full computers in our pockets and that the desktop would become a specialized device.

Apple kicked off the smart phone race in a real way and dominated it a long time. The iPhone is still one of the most popular computers ever made. Android of course now has a significantly higher total market share, and is really interesting in Its own right. But Apple still just completely owns the high end market. The last few years the iPhone and iPad CPU’s (made by Apple) were out benchmarking the intel mac’s, so the writing has been on the wall for a while now. In the other thread we were discussing how Steve Jobs would have been livid about them not including a charger with an iPhone, but Apple making their own CPU’s for the entire product line is something he would have loved.

I owned intel stock for the last 15 years and just sold it this year. ARM is the future no doubt and Microsoft has a version of windows that runs arm so we will see that pick up steam too.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
Also point of note, when I upgraded my FL Studio at the weeiend, it said not compatible with ARM processors
That’s really interesting, it will take developers a while to port their apps for sure. Fl has always worked better on windows and windows is probably a year or more away from being viable on arm. But it’s coming for sure.

members online