Interviews Ash Holmz

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Ash Holmz recently won our Beat This! Competition for the month of March 2007. Find out about the Smash Bros., his MPC, and his strip club attendance...

ashholmz1.jpg

Sup Ash? What's new with you?

Grindin Heavy. Working 9 to 5 plus putting in full time work as a producer. Currently finishing up on the Smash Brothers Project plus a few other things going on that I don't feel comfortable talking about yet until it's official.

How much has changed since last time we interviewed you?

A lot. I think its been like almost 3 years since my last interview. Well, for one I live with wifey now which is a BIG change for me. I'm a little older, wiser, smarter, and stronger now. My passion for the music is stronger than ever. This music is a part of me. I'm getting a lot more looks and interest from sources both big and small than ever before. Really though, I'm the same dude, just a little more refined, updated, and official.

ashholmz2.jpg

Tell us how you created the winning beat.

Well I signed up for the competition on a whim. I thought it would be fun considering I haven't entered a BEAT THIS! in a long long time. I was listening to this german composer's (who shall remain unnamed) Jazz fusion record. Real smooth, laid-back record with a neo soul type of vibe but it was recorded before the term "Neo-Soul" came about. The record was a real slow, melodic, jazzy type record. I was about to fall asleep from listening to the track then this crazy ass break comes out of nowhere. It was funny because it was so out of place. The break sounded like something off of the Rocky soundtrack. Like a superhero theme song or something. I had to use it. So I chopped it up on recycle, loaded it on MP, and created a new melody. Then added a drum pattern, then some keyboard sounds over the top. Then I wanted to add a bridge part in so I switched up the drum pattern to have a nice little bounce in it and rearranged the sample a little bit. 2-tracked it into Pro Tools and that's pretty much it. For me beats are a quick process. I try not to over think what I'm doing. I get inspiration and just run with it.

Are you more comfortable with the no-theme competitions?

Depends, I'm comfortable making pretty much anything. But at the same time, I don't force music. With me it's all about being in the right mind state. I get inspired by certain sounds. I sample what other cats might pass over. So in that sense I guess the no-themes are easier for me but themes are cool too because they force you have extra creativity in order to stand out from everyone.

ashholmz3.jpg

What's your current setup?

MPC 4000 (the brain), Motif ES rack, Alesis Ion, EMU Pk-6, Digi 002, Yamaha PSR-410 (the shit...seriously!), Safe Sound P1 Channel Strip, Imac G5, AT4047 mic, records, Recycle, and some cool plugins and shit.

What are you trying to accomplish with your music?

I consider myself a progressive producer. I'm just on some different shit really. I don't know anyone that makes beats like me. Whether that's a good or a bad thing I don't know lol. My style has been described as energetic and soulful, but I wouldn't call myself a "Soul" style producer at all. My music has more of an edge than so called "Soul" music, in fact I think I'm more like a rocker with an MPC. I just try to make the music that I like. I'm not trying to limit myself to one area or stick to a certain formula.

Would you consider yourself a beat-maker or a producer?

Good question. My answer is both. I am a producer because I work with artists, write songs, write hooks, and coach others. I can take a song from concept to completion. I am a beat-maker because I just love to sit down and crank out beats. A lot of beats I make I don't ever intend anyone to even get on them or do anything with them so in that sense I'm a beat-maker.

Do you think the term "producer" gets used too loosely?

Yes. Making beats and completing projects are two totally different things. A producer gets things done. As a producer you have to deal with artist's egos, deadlines, scheduling conflicts, and other pressure. A lot of people call themselves producers but really haven't completed any projects or had any of their material released. A producer is the go-to guy, the one with the answers and in the end it's a producer's responsibility to make sure the end product is hot. Making a beat and then emailing it to an emcee for them to complete is not really producing to me, even though you still get credited. Working with the artist and overseeing the song or project from start to finish and making sure it's hot; that's producing.

What kind of reaction do you get when you tell someone you make beats?

Well everybody and their mama makes beats nowadays. So I don't dwell on it and talk too much about it. I let my music speak for itself. People are expecting it to be the same old stuff but they are usually really impressed when they actually listen to my stuff. I don't fit into the typical wannabee-producer category. This is not a gimmick or a "hustle" to me. This is what I do.

What do you think can be improved with the quality of beats in the mainstream today?

Too many copycats and not enough originators. Plain and simple. Not enough people are on some new shit. As soon as one style gets hot, it becomes a scramble for labels to make as many tracks in that style as possible as quickly as possible. It's really ridiculous. You got half of the East Coast artists/producers acting they are from Georgia lol. Then the other half complain that it's not 1994 anymore. Nobody is just stepping up and making a new sound. That's what I'm trying to bring to the table.

If you had the chance to chill with one big-name producer for a session, who would it be?

RZA, hands down. He's not exactly my favorite producer, but he is the reason I started making beats period.

For those that don't know, what/who are the Smash Bros?

The Smash Bros is myself and fellow IllMuzik producer Classic. We are a Hip Hop and R&B production team as well as recording artists. SSSSSSMMMMMAAAAAAASSSSHHHHH!!

So you guys like to smash things?

Hell Yeah.We Smash records, competition, wack music, fake niggas, simpletons, the establishment, and of course pum-pum lol.

That's a violent name, wouldn't "The Pussy Manglers" be more appropriate?

HAha... we don't want to scare the ladies away lol.

How would you describe your style of music?

Hot shit. Plain and simple. I'm not gonna go the humble route when discussing this project. Bottom line we got some dope shit that the masses need to hear. Our beats are crazy and I'm rhyming on steroids. This project is serious. Our sound is hard, smooth,crazy, chaotic, and calm all at the same time.

ashholmz4.jpg

I know you also rap, are you leaning more towards that nowadays?

I guess you could say so. Things is, I was rappin way before I made my first beat. When I really got into producing, rap went to the backburner. IllMuzik actually got me rapping again! We had made a track that one of my artists was supposed to spit on, but he couldn't make it to the studio. The submission for the IllMuzik compilation was due the next day so we had to do something. So I said fuck it I know how to rhyme, picked up a pen and wrote "Grown Man Talk" in about 15 minutes and recorded it the same day. I didn't think anything of it, but after a few people that we deal with heard it, the response was pretty big. So we decided to put a full album together. Those that really know me from back in the day know that my rhyme skills are nuttin to fuc wit. My brain just operates on a different frequency so what comes out my mouth is much different than your average rapper. I spit honest lyrics, which is rare these days. I'm just doing me, I'm not tryin to live out some hood fantasy or anything like that. I touch on real life shit. The ups and downs of the beautiful struggle. But at the same time I'm not Common or Talib. I'm not tryin to save the world or anything, I just spit it how it his. Grown man shit ya-know? I spit a lot of funny shit too because that's just my personality.

Who's better at the MPC, you or Classic?

Good question lol. I'm way better on the 4000. He's way better than me on the 2000xl. But like many have said, the equipment don't make the producer. It's what u do with it that matters. The message matters more than the medium. When I first came to brooklyn I was making beats with reason and a mouse! No MIDI controller or anything!

What does the future hold for Ash, beats, and the Smash Bros?

Well first order of business is to get the Smash Bros. album released. It's way behind schedule as it is and there a lot of people that are asking for it. So that's priority number one right now. I'm always gonna be bangin out beats, so that's a given. I have a few artists that I'm working with that have had major label interest come there way and are in talks, but again I'm not saying anything until it's official. I also plan to do a solo album with a mixture of beats from different producers so I'm stayin busy.

Are you guys going to cross the border and hit the strip clubs again?

HAHA!! No doubt! I got a fistful of ones already prepared chhheaa!!

Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

Wifey, my family,Classic, GX Entertainment, Kevin Rhames, Lowground Productions, Chi-low records, everybody from Cuse City, and of course all the ILLMUZIK FAM!!!