Attack of the Beats! - March 4, 2016

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
shows_big_aotb.jpg

We're going to try something different this time. I've been doing the radio show for years now and I thought I would try to instead give my reviews in a post, rather than do a show. I'm hoping this will get members more involved in the battle and for others too to give their feedback on the beats.

Everything else stays the same with the Attack of the Beats and the points, ranks, etc. The only difference is that my reviews are done in the thread here, rather than in a radio show. Here we go:

Listen to the beats:

Here is my review:

@DJ Knight
Pros: Dope synth.
Cons: Drums need to bang more.
Advice: This is a good track, I like it a lot because it has a nice vibe to it. It's like it makes me want to hear more, anticipating what's coming next. The synth is the best part but it feels like the rest is sort of an afterthought, but it's still really well done. The main thing is I think the snare should be tight and smack more because right now it just seems flat. Maybe add some reverb to the snare so it will match up with the reverb of the synth. The kick could also come up a bit more. Give it a bit more thump.

@DurteBeats - WINNER
Pros:
Nice intro.
Cons: Snare is too hard, almost in the red on the meter.
Advice: This is a really good tune, you have everything in the right spots, but I would change up the snare and make it tighter. Also, the drums seem to be panned a bit left (maybe it's just me), so you might want to check that. I'm loving all the sounds except for that little "wah" in the background. I remember that sound from a soundfont kit I used back in the early 2000s! It's good but it just seems like it's not needed.

@Kulateral
Pros: The vibe.
Cons: The mix could be better.
Advice: This one is interesting because you have a really good track going here but it just seems to be all over the place, like as if you're trying a bunch of stuff at once. I think if you cleaned up the entire mix and gave everything its proper place, this beat would be really sick! Those strings are really dope so keep that, but actually I would love to hear more of that choir. Dude, focus on that, it will bang for sure.

@Storytime Beats
Pros: Nice piano.
Cons: Bassline.
Advice: Very nice beat, especially with the piano being the main focus. The bassline is a turnoff because it's just constant, but it does at least sound good because it's in tune with the other instruments. I really like how everything comes together halfway through, very nice. I would suggest you make that the main part of your beat. The part after the intro where it's just the piano and drums is a bit dull, so I would either add something to that or do away with it. Overall it's a nice tune.

@vaYce
Pros: Drum work.
Cons: The background keys could have been chopped better.
Advice: Very dope drum work on this one and the keys are dope but the chops on them could have been better. The warped part of the keys throws me off a bit but I see how it fits and it works well. Even though it's a dope beat, I think the mix could be a bit better, as the drums are a bit too prominent compared to the other tracks.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
I enjoy listening to the show much more... I usually listen on my way home from work, its just not the same playing each beat and reading the review. I do see why u wanted to try it this way, to get more people involved in the forum... but to be honest I didn't really think "we" were supposed to post our own reviews on the beats before. I figured the forum was more for people who had their beats reviewed to discuss the show in more detail.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I enjoy listening to the show much more... I usually listen on my way home from work, its just not the same playing each beat and reading the review. I do see why u wanted to try it this way, to get more people involved in the forum... but to be honest I didn't really think "we" were supposed to post our own reviews on the beats before. I figured the forum was more for people who had their beats reviewed to discuss the show in more detail.
Agreed. I thought I'd try reviewing it like this but honestly, it wasn't the same typing it out. I guess everyone prefers my sexy voice!

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
Hey, here's an idea... You always refer to beats that you've made or are in the process of making when you're doing the reviews. Why not play a beat that you've made or are working on at the end of the show and ask people to post reviews for your beats on the forum?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hey, here's an idea... You always refer to beats that you've made or are in the process of making when you're doing the reviews. Why not play a beat that you've made or are working on at the end of the show and ask people to post reviews for your beats on the forum?
That could work, although sometimes when I'm referring to a beat I made, it's sometimes from years ago that I'd have to go find. But it would be great if more people commented on the show though, like in the Showcase. Rather than just have people send their beats in, maybe they could post and follow up with what I said, to open up some dialogue.