Beat This! Competition - August 24-25, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
by this rate I think we'll both end up being Kanye's.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Delta_Nine

Illa la muzika!!!
Big up @Armani got my vote.. @TWU nearly had mine just because of armani's mix sounds a little better imo. Twu had the vibe I like, but ultimately I gave it to armani. Could of went either way imo.
@Walidank always a crowd fave.
@BassThumper another flavor I like. I appreciate beats like this cause its really about the sample. Nice arrangement.
Bro, u should consider getting a lofi sampler to "dirty up" the chops. Or get some kinda analog warmth plugin for extra character. Love the drum less style.

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
So as promised, here's my review on the entries. (Please consider it as constructive feedback based on my opinion, if you don't like to get feedback you can ignore my post.)

@Armani Nice intro, setting the mood of the beat. I like the sparks and FX you used. The second hihats that come in at 0:50 sounds dope and does a good job in keeping the listener engaged. I would like to hear the actual sample a little more on par with the drums and bass in terms of volume. I'm listening with 'fresh' ears and sometimes they trick me, but the drums are a little on the harsh/sharp side. Overall dope beat, very creative.

@Mefisto Beats The beat has a nice dark middle eastern vibe to it. Drop at 1:04 sounds dope. Could actually hear someone spit some bars over this. The mix is pretty loud and I hear some clipping/distortion after the drop, with little headroom left. Maybe it's intentional, but it might be a little too much for the already aggressive sounding character of the beat. Don't listen a lot to drill TBH but I really like the bouncy rhythm of it.

@Iron Keys Dope intro, nice creative use of the sample by reversing it. Also could easily hear someone spit some bars over this. Drums are on point. I like what you did with the break at 0:45 to engage the listener. But I feel like the drop after could use a little more highlighting. Like a short silence right before it or a build up, risers or fx, layer the vocals with multiple octaves etc... At the end the build up was actually there but ends a little unsatisfying with a snare roll. Mix is clean as always.
Solid beat!

@NonxG Great use of the sample. Beat is like a journey, very creative with all the change ups. I like the vocal snippets throughout the beat. Solid mix, nice job on the panning creating a stereo image. One of the better beats IMO and well deserved runner-up.

@BassThumper Dope you sampled the actual intro. Good job on the flip, a lot of variation. Is that "sweep" sound the actual sample? It's cool to do a flip without drums, but I feel like it's not suitable for a beat battle.

@DPrezd Beggar +1 for the track title. Cool 90's boom bap flavor. Musical wise it's all there. Drums are dope but could be a more present in the mix, where the bass is a little on the heavy side. Good use of the sample, maybe a little more variation and this would've placed i'm sure.

@Fury Beats I like the dark mood of this. Drums are dope and goes well with the rest but could use some more volume/pump. The wind chimes are a nice add but distract me from the actual melody. I also think the beat needs some variation to keep me engaged as a listener. Would be dope as a beat to spit some bars on, but in a beat battle the instrumental needs more variation to stand out IMO.

@InsideOutBeats Dope drums and instrumentals, good variation. Listening to it I miss some chemistry/harmony between them. The played in instruments sound kind of static/robotic and it feels like the L&O sample doesn't really fit in and is slightly out of tune with the rest.

@robin_92tt Nice uplifting mood on this. The drumbreak on 0:17 is very interesting but works quite well, but the transition at 0:23 could've been smoother. Mix is solid. Overall very creative beat with a lot of variation to keep the listener engaged. Well done.

@stcbeats Nice play around with the reese bass. Cool creative use of the sample and +1 for sampling the actual L&O tune. Piano goes really well with the rest of the beat. Drums could use some change ups and the beat lacks the energy that I like to hear in a beat battle.

@Walidank Really vibing to this. Very recognizable sound. I love the minimalist character of your beats but I miss a sub frequency layer to give it more low end/warmth. It sounds like the sample doesn't quite match with the rest of the beat. (Like it's just thrown in to check the box you have to make use of it.)

Despite @Fade wasn't making things easy for us with the short sample, the entries are all very creative. I really like theme based battles like this because it seems to spark creativity, get people out of their comfort zone of doing the "normal" stuff.

Props to all who entered!

Family Love GIF by J.B. Kinard

SAM SEED

Siu Tien Yuen
Battle Points: 4
@BassThumper Dope you sampled the actual intro. Good job on the flip, a lot of variation. Is that "sweep" sound the actual sample? It's cool to do a flip without drums, but I feel like it's not suitable for a beat battle.
@TWU

At the very end of the Law and Order song you will hear that "sweep".

Going against the Grain is what I do.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
@DPrezd Beggar +1 for the track title. Cool 90's boom bap flavor. Musical wise it's all there. Drums are dope but could be a more present in the mix, where the bass is a little on the heavy side. Good use of the sample, maybe a little more variation and this would've placed i'm sure.

Damn, didnt get notified about this, just seen your feedback. Thanks G, tbh i had a somewhat hard time making something, had tried like 10 different approaches until i came up with this. I think my biggest problem is that i make the beats in one session :ROFLMAO:

Ima drop some feedback too, need to relisten all the beats when i have some more time, been skating and training the past few days. xd

okay, nvm, cant listen to the entries anymore, wont load.

GZ @Armani , voted for @Iron Keys , rest is dope af too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online