Best computer for music production

blak flame

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what is the best computer out there for music production (most powerful, wit alot of ram, a big hard drive, good soundcard)...i want somethin that i don't have to upgrade to make it better...you know like puttin in a new soundcard and that kinda shit, and i don't want a custom built computer...i just want somethin i can get straight for the store in a box

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
there is this one thing called the MPC ( music pc ) iirc which is like a microsoft thing thats just built solely for doing music not 100% sure wot its like but do a search for it or sumthing !

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
def def get a g5 if you want the best ... pc's r cool but they catch colds too easy ...lol ... i have a low end emac g4 on osx and the thing has NEVER crashed on me once. ..when i was rockin a pc that thing crashed every few days... IMO its worth it to get the mac .. i can never see myself goin to to pc again ... for the simple reliability factor but thats just me i aint tryin to start no arguments

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
does fruity & adobe audition work well on macs?

C

Chaotic

berserk said:
does fruity & adobe audition work well on macs?

Fruity isnt available for Macs.

I use a Carillon AC-1 ProTools setup. Ive had it for close to 3 years and never had a problem with it, the thing is a monster. Check out their site www.carillonusa.com

I recommend it especially if you're going to use Pro Tools, unless your already a Mac person. Dont believe the hype about the Mac Vs PC bullshit. Years ago Macs were the only way to go, but times are changin. Carillon is the only PC company authorized by Digidesign to make turn-key protools systems, even ProTools HD. IF your already comfortable with PCs, why make the switch

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
The best music PC you can get is the one you personally build yourself! That's what I'm in the process of doing.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
If you go the PC route, like my man mentioned above you can build it yourself; or if you go out and buy one off the shelf reconfigure it for audio recording only that's very important! I run a PC DAW and I never have computer crashes. The MACs are good if your not into tweaking and configuring your system a lot, there is a little tweaking involved but you have so many more options on a PC platform as far as software, vst instruments, DX, etc and it can be less expensive, that right there's my reason. Weight your options.

Aeast

ill o.g.
if you get a mac you cant get free software so dont plan on getting hacked versions of progs... and as far as power goes pc's arent too far behind macs

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yo Chaotic, yer tha 1st one that has mentioned that they copped a Carillion...Ive always wondered how dope those things really are?.....They look solid as fuck!...Id cop one myself if tha wallet was fat enough no doubt.

STEEZ

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Around the same I think, theres stuff you can add yourself like the memory, xtra hard drives, disk drives to reduce the cost. But theres always the risk of human error when you get it custom and god knows where the parts came from that they put in ya pc. Not to say there aren't great guys out there, but these were some of the things that went through my mind in deciding between a dell and a custom. With the dell theres always sales and free upgrades going on, I got half a gig of memory free an extra 80 gig hard drive free, a free cd burner and an instant $300 rebate, plus the free shipping I had no second thoughts bout the dell. And even more I qualified for the Dell card so I only need to pay like $60 bucks a month, but I pay $200 to pay it off quicker so I can get a laptop later.
But on the other hand Customs are "cool" you can get neon lights and tricked out cases, prints, and even more better customer service is right roun' the block.
Anyways
Hope I Helped

Frictionbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 51
Dell

Im using a Dell Precision Dual Xeon Processors, 2 gig memory. XP Proffesional with Pro tools 6.4 & 4 hard drives: 30,30, 120,120
This machine Kicks Ass!

but if i had to do it again....I would definitley build my own...and just turn off certain services on XP for optimal performance. Thats what all those other DAW companies do.

Peace out!

-FRIC

members online