best instrument from any song.....

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
do any of you have a particular insrument from a song that stands out and makes the song memorable? i was listening to the oft-sampled "love and happiness" by al green....... and that organ has got to be the ILLEST sound i have ever heard in a song..... if you dont know what the word "soulful" means, this definitely describes it!!!! any how just a random thought...

also, for those that dont sample, what artists, if any, from other genres, influence what you create?

and for you sampleheads out there, what do you look for in a sample? i know from my own experience i never knew what i was looking for until i found it. ... . . . . . and what is the most obscure sample you have ever found? i am sure everyone has that gem or two know one else but them and the guy who made the first one have ever heard... i have one myself, and i have tried to do it justice for years!!!! but if i cant do it justice, i will save it until i can!!!!! anyways i am just runnin off at the mouth now, and i should let those of ou who were actually interested in this nerdy little post of mine reply....

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Recently I picked up the Come to Daddy EP by Aphex Twin, it's given me a new look on music and I can't wait to get back to programming sounds again.

There are three main sounds that I like:

1. To Cure a Weakling Child (Contour Regard)...one of the lead sounds is snippets from a child's voice pitched across a keyboard and mixed with an organ sound.

2. IZ-US...the organ sound again, run through a little reverb or echo, occasionally run through a stereo imager to widen and narrow its image.

3. IZ-US...the ride cymbal on top of the break beat...JESUS, it is cool!

Aphex Twin does weird experimental techno stuff, a lot of you could learn a lot about production by listening to any of his tracks, he does crazy styff with synths, samplers and wave editors that most hip hop producers could only dream of doing.

Take care,

Nick

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Get the richard d. jamrs album now. tut tut tut... NOW! Aphex twin tweet his synth/sampler/programs too. I won't say that for many artist but aphex twin is really a genius. Melodic drill n' bass drum (?) breaks, how can it be ?

back on topic, the sound I like the most I hain't easy. I would say it's in the distortion realm. Maybe synth distorded bass. I don't search when diggin', it's like you said, "i never knew what i was looking for until i found i".

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Yeah.

I like the Apex Twins too, but sticking to the topic... I think you can't go wrong w/ a phat piano...

D

Deez

For real........ cello's are gangsta, strings.... I can't get enough of. Slow strings, plucked strings, violins........... over a slow drum beat.... damn throw in an organ.... knowhatimsayin?!?
Dre's the string King.........
Deez