Best set of PC speakers for producing

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
Hey,

Sorry if it's already been discussed, I did try a search but only found the 'very' recent thread about headphones but nothing about speakers.

So, wondering, which would be the best "bang for your buck" speakers for PC when producing ?

As of now I use HyperX Cloud headphones, which are great for gaming and stuff but find flat for producing. I also have a very very old set of Logitech speakers but they are way out of their game nowadays.

So, back to the question. If I had to buy a set of speakers, on PC what would it be ? Im not necessarily looking for budget speakers but maybe go in 2 categories if you can. One cheaper and one more expensive.

Thanks !

The KRK Rokit 5's are very popular. They are pretty cheap and a good entry point for studio monitors. They aren't great for mixing with, but they are great for producing with.
I personally have Kali IN-8's, but they are much more expensive than the KRK's. Kali also make the LP-6's and LP-8's. A cheaper 2 way alternative to the IN range of 3 way monitors.

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Thanks for the info.

So here's where my non-experience will show. Speakers are called monitors when it comes to producing ? And I checked real quick and am I wrong to say that you don't just plug these with a normal headphone jack ? I mean thats how I always connected my PC speakers before...

Thanks for the info.

So here's where my non-experience will show. Speakers are called monitors when it comes to producing ? And I checked real quick and am I wrong to say that you don't just plug these with a normal headphone jack ? I mean thats how I always connected my PC speakers before...
Speakers are called studio monitors if they are made to have a flat response across the frequency spectrum, so that what they put out can be trusted as an accurate representation of what is going in to them. Speakers on the other hand can have dips and peaks in the frequency response that can give a false impression when making critical decisions when mixing, where you end up mixing for the speakers, not the actual song. The best sound will come from XLR or balanced line in that comes out of an audio interface, you will need an audio interface because of latency issues otherwise, unless your onboard sound supports ASIO. But an interface will give you inputs and outputs as well as different bitrates depending on the interface.

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Speakers are called studio monitors if they are made to have a flat response across the frequency spectrum, so that what they put out can be trusted as an accurate representation of what is going in to them. Speakers on the other hand can have dips and peaks in the frequency response that can give a false impression when making critical decisions when mixing, where you end up mixing for the speakers, not the actual song. The best sound will come from XLR or balanced line in that comes out of an audio interface, you will need an audio interface because of latency issues otherwise, unless your onboard sound supports ASIO. But an interface will give you inputs and outputs as well as different bitrates depending on the interface.
That is actually very informative and well explained. Thank you very much for the information and taking the time to share.