Breakin In.....

• beat this! voting starts in...
F

FaycBlaq

sup sup iLL onez,

im about to start a diploma in sound engineering and wanted to find out from yall how head it is to actuallly get a job in the music biz-b4 i make a big mistake and waste a lotta money!!
i know it will prob differ from country to country so input based on your own experiences and/or knowledge of your country's music biz will be greatky appreciated...

one

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
its really about who u know. and going to school for you may help u meet a lot of people and open doors. And with a degree you can start doing things for businesses and what not.

F

FaycBlaq

thats exactly wat im hoping and believe will happen...
i figured that bein in college will not only giveme the practical skills i need but will expose me to some connections in the industry...but my parents dnt think its a good industry to get into..........reason:cant find job posting on the net!

StraDivaRius

So determined....
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 94
here is my 2 cent

It is a very very very sketchy industry!Hard to get a paying job!

The man said it before, it who you know, thats it, thats all!
If you dont have any connection at all in the industry, its gonna be really hard!
For sure school gonna help you get some connection but put it this way, everybody else in you classes gonna want the same connects!

But if you really feel you can do it and wanna do it, go for it but let me tell you that it will take a long ass time before you start making just alright money !You gonna start min wage for a few years and work your way up!

My tip would be to go into something else you like, then get an internship in a studio in your area, its free, you learn faster and hands on. that way its easyer to make connection!

Just my toughts homie, in any case Good luck!

F

FaycBlaq

damn..........the beauty of life is that nothins is ever smooth sailing!!

i was actually doin IT, just finished my 1st year diploma in Networking but its lost the edge it that made in excitin for me.................

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
its crazy how internships can benefit you. just dont come across or protray your self as greedy or money hungry; nothin turns professionals away quicker than images of themselves..

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
I've interned at 4 studios, one of which was a paying gig, with a glorified title of "general assistant". It's hard to get, and like mentioned above, you NEED to KNOW people.

My advice: Build up your resume. Look online for studio links and find their address, and fax them a cover letter with your resume, stating that you would like an internship and that you can start immediately. Express your knowledge on what you've learned, and state why you would be an asset to their business. Include your other skills in following directions, and being a team player, and putting in the work required.

This is a plus: Call studio managers and perform interviews with THEM. Ask about their life, and say you're trying to write an article on top industry people. You'd be surprised on how many people, even at the top, will answer your quesitons. Pick their brain! This is an opportunity to create a relationship, AND show your knowledge by asking the RIGHT QUESTIONS. Compile this information and send it out to industry magazines and see if you can get it published. This is HUGE!!! Send them a copy of your article as soon as it's finished.

Now, my friend, you have a contact in the industry, who can make decisions on your career, give you a job, or be a reference to someone else who can give you a job.

F

FaycBlaq

Hypnotist-much love for that one!!

im actually hopin to get a contact thru my dad.this ex radio DJ, matured and moved to construction!he's one of those cats that people say "he's not easy to get into contact with" b coz of his background inthe industry etc.
i plan on asking him to point me in the right directions and get sum inside tip from him.if i can get sum sort of referrals from him and start internin soon, thatd be great.......

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Hypnotist said:
I've interned at 4 studios, one of which was a paying gig, with a glorified title of "general assistant". It's hard to get, and like mentioned above, you NEED to KNOW people.

My advice: Build up your resume. Look online for studio links and find their address, and fax them a cover letter with your resume, stating that you would like an internship and that you can start immediately. Express your knowledge on what you've learned, and state why you would be an asset to their business. Include your other skills in following directions, and being a team player, and putting in the work required.

This is a plus: Call studio managers and perform interviews with THEM. Ask about their life, and say you're trying to write an article on top industry people. You'd be surprised on how many people, even at the top, will answer your quesitons. Pick their brain! This is an opportunity to create a relationship, AND show your knowledge by asking the RIGHT QUESTIONS. Compile this information and send it out to industry magazines and see if you can get it published. This is HUGE!!! Send them a copy of your article as soon as it's finished.

Now, my friend, you have a contact in the industry, who can make decisions on your career, give you a job, or be a reference to someone else who can give you a job.
Hyp I can tell you have been there, that is really good advice.
I may do that around my town, just for contacts and not really write for any magazine.
Thats simple and great.