Bringing in some $$$

E

Equality 7-2521

Whats the best plan for making money off production?

Do you think it is worth making beats and selling as many of them as you can?

or

Do you think its best to make a CD of beats and give it out to get some sort of recognition which could be taken advatage of later on?

or

Something else?

Im thinking i should try to sell beats untill I have paid off the money i have spent on equipment. then maybe reasess what to do at that stage.

any advice?

cheers

C

Copenhagen

I suggest you search the forums, many members want to go the same route, have had the same thoughts and questions...so you should find many threads concerning this subject.

Sober

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well this is how i look at it.

I believe that selling beats to random people may not help you that much in your quest to get your name out. I think if you go about it like every underground artist making your own lp's and getting your name out with the mc or mc's you work with, will give you a better chance of getting your music out. This is because of performing, because by doing performances people will start to talk about your music which will start to circulate your name.

This is true with random artists that purchase your beats, but i doubt they would push your name out while they push thiers. For the simple fact that your an underground artist and they are trying to get signed and get beats from famous producers. So you see its their dream not yours. So if you go about it with your own friends that rap and try to push your crews dream you all have a better chance at making it big.

See i live in LA where pretty much everyone produces and raps and i believe i have a better chance at getting my music known by having the artists i work with perform around here while everyone who is involved in our music pushes our dream into a reality.

eh i have a feeling i may have not explained this correct but i hope you get a understanding of what i meant. its going to be one in the morning so im too lazy to refine my "speech" heh heh goodnight :headbang:

B

BIG_EFF

I believe you should be in this for the love of the music and the pride you get when you create something that's never been done before and is yours to call your own. At that point, if other people feel your creation and are willing to offer you $$$ for it, get a contract drafted, ask for a certain amount, and just incase it blows up make sure you get at least 1% royalties on the beat. Heck 1% of a million dollars is still $100,000.

E

Equality 7-2521

big eff....the love comes first....but we need food to live too

C

Copenhagen

Big Eff, first, 1% of 1 million is only 10.000. Second, of course we do this for the love of Hip-Hop and that's exactly why a lot of us want to be able to do it 24/7, and that can only be done if you make enough money off it, that's self-explainatory.

D

DJlow2

ey yo true we need both the money and the music to live... its not all about the fame... its about getting back props for the work that you have done... and recognition for a job well done is all that any musicain really wants and needs to feed the craft.

-Dj Low 2

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
my advise would be to have something else that supports you besides making beats and if possible have this be something that will help your music career. This could be working part-time at a record store or record company or DJing on a regular basis at clubs or whatever. Ideally this other thing won't take up too much time put will bring in decent $$$ to support you.

Keep focused on your main goal to be successful music producer though and try to focus your attention on this.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
You're from Australia.

My advice to you is what it's always been. Get into a studio, a hip hop production company, or a radio station, and learn the ropes.

Make contacts, start selling beats through those contacts. Make a network, but don't let anybody know what you're really doing, because even your best friends may get jealous.

Once you've sold several beats to some of the MC's in Australia, keep at it, and your name will spread. Be sure that if somebody gives you a chance to join or ghost-produce for their prod. company, go for it, it's a step in the right direction.

Try to get some form of management representation that will help you once you've acquired a network from which you can work for. If somebody asks you if you can make X type of beat, and you don't think you can, say yes anyway. Lying is just another weapon in the game.

Sincerely,
God

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Originally posted by Sober
Well this is how i look at it.

I believe that selling beats to random people may not help you that much in your quest to get your name out. I think if you go about it like every underground artist making your own lp's and getting your name out with the mc or mc's you work with, will give you a better chance of getting your music out. This is because of performing, because by doing performances people will start to talk about your music which will start to circulate your name.

This is true with random artists that purchase your beats, but i doubt they would push your name out while they push thiers. For the simple fact that your an underground artist and they are trying to get signed and get beats from famous producers. So you see its their dream not yours. So if you go about it with your own friends that rap and try to push your crews dream you all have a better chance at making it big.

See i live in LA where pretty much everyone produces and raps and i believe i have a better chance at getting my music known by having the artists i work with perform around here while everyone who is involved in our music pushes our dream into a reality.

eh i have a feeling i may have not explained this correct but i hope you get a understanding of what i meant. its going to be one in the morning so im too lazy to refine my "speech" heh heh goodnight :headbang:

yo im feelin that statemnt hard...i say bring your whole rymin crew up wit u....thats my main focus right now...its one thing to sell ur beats online or whatever but i feel its a smarter move to find an up an comin mc or even your boys if they got talent and get down and get serious. i give away alot of shit for free or a low price, ill tell them to either get me on the track wit em or give me shout outs and all that. If evrything locally and undergrounds got your name bein shouted on it...u get recoginition.....other day at the bar son come up to me and hand me a demo...i was like what thefuc??? i felt like a damn celebrity

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Australia's hip hop scene is alive and well. I been to Sydney a few times and even Perth W.A. so its all good over there. Don't know exactly where you live at in the land down under, BUT I live by the motto : Bloom where you are planted.
Get some business cards printed with a valid email address and phone number.
Next you wanna make 20 CDs featuring your beats.
Depending on the type of production you do,(techno and trance is big over there too) you wanna showcase those beats. Don't give em ENTIRE beats, just snippets--enough to gain an interest. 30 sec max.
I know in Sydney there's a lotta DJ's and some pretty good record stores downtown, but if you don't live there then hit the local hip hop shops and put your biz cards on the advertising boards. Go to EVERY open mic contest and holla at the MC's in the contest, every sentence you speak should translate to "I MAKE BEATS, WANNA HEAR MY CD".
Try that and if you are successful, you owe me lunch at Hungry Jack's ha ha!!!

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Australia's hip hop scene is alive and well. I been to Sydney a few times and even Perth W.A. so its all good over there. Don't know exactly where you live at in the land down under, BUT I live by the motto : Bloom where you are planted.
Get some business cards printed with a valid email address and phone number.
Next you wanna make 20 CDs featuring your beats.
Depending on the type of production you do,(techno and trance is big over there too) you wanna showcase those beats. Don't give em ENTIRE beats, just snippets--enough to gain an interest. 30 sec max.
I know in Sydney there's a lotta DJ's and some pretty good record stores downtown, but if you don't live there then hit the local hip hop shops and put your biz cards on the advertising boards. Go to EVERY open mic contest and holla at the MC's in the contest, every sentence you speak should translate to "I MAKE BEATS, WANNA HEAR MY CD".
Try that and if you are successful, you owe me lunch at Hungry Jack's ha ha!!!