CD-Rom Drive & Akai S-Series

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I´ve been working with the akai s2000 for a couple of months so far and been pretty happy with it. The only thing that sucked, was that it only has one output and the optional extension board is very expensive.
So I sold my s2000 for quite a good price on ebay and got an cd3000 (Akai S3000 with a cd-rom drive) for even less. I didn´t really go for the built in cd-drive, but for the 8 single outs. So far I´m quite happy.
Since I still have an old 40x CD-Rom drive, I was wondering if I can replace the sampler built in 4x cd-rom drive with this one. So does anyone know if that is possible? What SCSI-interface does the akai use etc.? Thanks

Attachments

• i-1.jpg
    i-1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 285

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
SCSI adapter by Adaptec 2940UWII ( recommended ).
UW stands for UltraWide. The II ( 2 ) stands for the type, i believe 1 is like a 20 or 40 mb/s xfer 2 is 60 and 3 80.

You should be able to replace the CD in an instance that easy. If it's IDE, no problemo. Just be carefull on the electronics inside, Akai equip is very sensitive to ESD.

B

BeatOff

Hey HaZwaiOh I have a S3000XL do you know where i can get a replacement for the display light? The lighting went out and the background is hard to read.

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
@ BeatOff. I saw some display on ebay the other day. Friend of mine fixed his mpc´s display last year. He bought it from a German company. There is 1 more company that sells displays for Akai samplers. It´s in England. They charge 30-40 Euros which is about the same in dollars. hit me back if you need any more information.
btw.: how do you like that sampler? we might want to exchange some experiences and tipps?!

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

A co worker who uses older Akai samplers wrote this to me:

"well, I seem to recall (at least on the older Akais) that they just used standard SCSI Type-I (ie, non-ultra wide)...at least, for their external drives. For internal drives, I thought they used a proprietary 'controller card', in which case he may or may not be able to use his newer one. I used a standard SCSI external with my S1000 (actually, the drive that's sitting in my office!) and it worked great"

BeatOff,

Did you try the links I posted here?

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=551

Take care,

Nick

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Won´t work!

I finally got my cd3000i today. I opened the case and there´s no way to exchange the built in cd-rom drive. It just won´t fit since the drive akai uses itself has an unusual layout and there´s no way a 5 1/4" drive is gonna fit in there. Thanks though

I got one more question: I heard rumours that I can use MESA with this sampler. Akai says MESA only runs on the XL series. Anyone made any experience with that?

Thanks once again

B

BeatOff

Dope thanks i didnt even see the replys to my post, good lookin out!