Interviews Chewbux Set To Release His Debut LP

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
chewbux1.jpg

Chewbux, one of IllMuzik's brightest aspiring emcees, has just released his debut LP: "I'm Not A Rapper". This interview tries to explore Chew's inner self.

Yo Chew, what's up man? How are you?

Doing great man, thanks.

Please introduce yourself! Why Chewbux? What does it mean?

Well, basically Chewbux came from Chew, which has been my nickname since I was about two. It evolved from my real name Matthew, but the 'bux' part just came from this crazy dude in high school who always added funny parts to the end of Chew, like 'bux' or 'nuggets' or 'bizzle' or whatever. But really, it's just Chew.

How was your childhood and how has it affected you?

Childhood was great. I've always been real close with family, and family always comes first. They support me in all of my music and artwork, so from childhood on progression in both has been natural.

Tell us about this school you were attending to: 'Rhode Island School of Design'.

'RISD' is basically an art and design school located in Providence, RI. I'm studying Illustration, which entails mainly drawing and painting. It's a great school, and I've always wanted to be an artist since I was a kid. I'm in my last year now so I'm savoring the next few months before I have to really enter the real world as a working professional... hopefully.

chewbux2.jpg

How and when have you discovered music? Is music an integral part of your life?

Music has always been a big part in my life since I was little. My older brother was always a big influence on my taste of music cause he always had his hands on the next big thing in. As far as making music, that didn't come until a bit later. But recently within the last year or two it has gone from something just for fun, to something I take quite seriously and consider to definitely be an integral part of my life.

Do you also produce? Do you collect records? What kind of music do you listen to? Can you list your TOP 5 records + TOP 5 songs?

Yeah, I started off MC'ing in high school and moved into production a couple years after due to lack of beats. I did all the production for my own 'LP', and have produced for other emcee's as well. I wouldn't say I collect records, but my music collection is quite extensive in both size and types of music. I've always been into Hip-Hop since I was a kid, I grew up on Wu-Tang and other classic Hip-Hop like B.I.G., Redman, Outkast, and Beastie Boys. I also love classic rock, punk rock, and a lot of other music as well. Hmm, top 5 albums is quite tough for me, but I'll try.

5 amazing albums, not really in order but OK,

• Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
  • Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
  • Outkast - ATLiens
  • RJD2 - Deadwringer
  • Radiohead - Hail To The Thief
chewbux4.jpg

How many years of practice does it take to become a professional MC, who can also improvise and freestyle on the fly?

Hmm, well being a professional I guess essentially means getting paid for what your doing. But, I think a lot of MC'ing has to do with natural charisma and style. I don't know exactly how many years it takes, but it definitely takes practice to learn how to really rock a crowd. As far as freestyling, that has a lot to do with basically just practicing. When I first started rhyming I couldn't freestyle at all, but these days I'd say I can hold my own.

Tell us about GREY MATTER. Moreover, give us some info concerning your partner, i95.

Well, Grey Matter is a group of two MC/Producers consisting of myself, and 'i95' a.k.a. 'Sketch'. Really the group is a subdivision of a larger group of MC's and producers that I am involved with called 'Soul Cypher'. It's kind of a side project/collaboration, but not much has happened with it so far. I've been away for the past few months and have been more focused on my own solo projects.

What about 'I'm Not A Rapper'? What experiences can you share regarding the making of this album? Are you satisfied with the final product? Does it meet your [initial] expectations?

I think I have to say that overall I am pretty satisfied with the album. I am happy in general to have produced something on my own, and to have something out there with my name on it. I see it as a big step in the right direction. It's also my first production, so there is a lot that I can learn from it for the future as well. The album itself actually contains some songs from a few years back, so as far as the music goes, I think I have progressed as an artist since then, but it is important to remember where I started and for people to understand where I am coming from as well.

chewbux3.jpg

Back to your school years: How was campus life? Was it as wild as you see in all those college movies? Did you have much fun?

Well, really, to be honest, NO. My school is quite small and quite difficult and time consuming. A lot of my best friends go to big Universities and such where they get pretty crazy. I would have loved to myself, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to attend a school like 'RISD'. Either way, I have a great group of friends there, and we always manage to have a good time.

Who's your main idol? Do you get inspired easily?

Yeah, I'd have to say I get inspired pretty easily. It's kind of bad though, cause ill be doing some work and just listening to some music and I'll get inspired to make a beat or whatever, and then I'll end up getting sidetracked from my work for the next few hours, haha. But it's all good. As far as main idols, I don't really have one. When I first started MC'ing I was really inspired by Slug from Atmosphere. He still probably qualifies as my favorite MC overall, but a lot of stuff inspires me really.

What are your plans for the future?

Well, I am currently working on a second 'LP'. I have written about 10 tracks or so ready to be recorded when I get back to the states. I hope to do about 20 or 25 tracks for this album, and then narrow it down to the best 15 or so. I also hope to work with more guest MC's and producers. (ILLMUZIK FAM!) Basically I just want to promote myself and see what happens. I'll be graduating in the spring of '05, so I'll probably move back to the D.C. area and see what pans out for a job in the arts as well. Hopefully, the future is bright!

chewbux5.jpg

IllMuzik-A secondary home or just a temporary place to spend your free time?

These days IllMuzik is up there with email! It sucks too, cause I don't have the internet at my place, so I walk all the way to college campus just to see what's poppin! I really enjoy IllMuzik and I find myself spending more and more time on the site. I would definitely like to become more of a regular known member, as I still see myself a bit unknown to some, but that takes time, and I'm not goin nowhere else!

In your opinion: who are IllMuzik's TOP 5 beatmakers? Whom would you ban? Who seems to be the most knowledgeable? Are the moderators doing a good job?

Top 5 in no particular order, as I know it.
  • Afrique - although I haven't heard much from him lately.
  • Cold Truth - I've always liked the stuff Truth puts out.
  • Dj Hoppa - gots talent.
  • Classic - drops some hot ish.
  • And many other talented producer's I cant think of now.
I don't know who's THE most knowledgeable, but people like MarkN and JoeBurnem and all others who always drop a line to help you out are essential to IllMuzik, cause that's what it's all about. And banning people, well, I probably wouldn't go as far as to ban anyone, but I think some people are just ignorant to a lot of things. With sites like IllMuzik, that are so big and worldwide, it's important to keep an open mind and respect other people's opinions. I think some people tend to forget that, a lot. As for the moderators, two thumbs up! You guys are always helpful and on top of the site. Overall, IllMuzik is the shit!

Your opinion:
  1. Mp3 vs. CDs vs. Vinyl - MP3's.
  2. Sampling vs. Keyboard beats - Sampling's more fun.
  3. Love vs. Hatred - I'm a lover, not a fighter.
  4. War vs. Peace - Peace.
  5. Sex vs. Sexual abuse - Sex? Yes please.
  6. Abstract vs. Boom Bap Abstract.
  7. Whites vs. Blacks - Grey Matter.
  8. Life vs. Death - Life.
  9. Intelligence vs. Looks - Intelligent.
  10. Secularism vs. Religion Faith in something.
Thanks to IllMuzik, best Hip-Hop production site on the web! And everyone else out there who supports my music, thanks!

Thank you for this interview. Good luck!

members online