Cleaning My Dirty Sound Up

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
As I get deeper into my beats, I think I'm liking the cleaner sound more and more these days. You might have noticed me saying shit like "crisp" or "sharp" a whole lot lately. I've been checking out Dr. Dre's and some other west coast producers' beats. "Less is best"! I am gonna stop cluttering my tracks with excess BS. A solid drum track, smooth bassline maybe a main loop and some sort of chorus loop. Space in a track is my new goal.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
sounds good joe. lately i have entertained a similar approach..... which yuo will see soon. mwuahaha...

anyhow, check for tracks like "G'D Up" (Eastsidaz) and "We Can Freak It" (kurupt), both Battlecat beats.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
The more you can chop away, the more headroom you have left meaning that your tracks come out louder ( without loudness ) and the more detail becomes audible opposed to the "wall of sound" productions ( and I aint talking Phil Spector ) which (mostly) sound very dense.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
joeburnem said:
As I get deeper into my beats, I think I'm liking the cleaner sound more and more these days. You might have noticed me saying shit like "crisp" or "sharp" a whole lot lately. I've been checking out Dr. Dre's and some other west coast producers' beats. "Less is best"! I am gonna stop cluttering my tracks with excess BS. A solid drum track, smooth bassline maybe a main loop and some sort of chorus loop. Space in a track is my new goal.

yea thats wot ive been working on lately ! the perfect mix i guess is wot im after !

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
For such jobs you can be sure that the better your nearfields are ( and the acoustic surrounding of the room ), the better and easier the finetuning goes. Cleaning a track in such a manner is what a studio does for most hiphop producers in the charts. Hence why 9th wonder only rocks a pc, somebody else will clean up his mess hehe. I look at it like this, if you get a deal on your own mixed and mastered beats you can talk about gaining a percentage of the expenses they would've made going to the studio with your beats if they weren't mixed or mastered.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
joeburnem said:

Man, I completely agree. But when using less It has to be done right. I bought Dre's 2001 Instrumental CD and realized that he only uses on average about 4-5 instruments per track. Less is more (as one of my High School English teachers used to say). Now I must practice!

Ctrl

M

MIKELABZ

That Shows Maturation.
I Think We All Go Into Music Making Starting Simple, Getting Overly Complex, And Then Settling With Less Complex But More Fulfilling Beats.
I Was Saying The Exact Same Thing In Another Thread.
Less Is More.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Its all about sound selection and choosing a few good sounds, this is always better then having having loads of average sounds in the mix.

study dilla instrumentals cos the dude can have just a track consisting of just bass and drums and not be boring thats when u know u got shit perfect.
when the bass and drums is vibing enuff to stand on they own

chewbux

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MIKELABZ said:
That Shows Maturation.
I Think We All Go Into Music Making Starting Simple, Getting Overly Complex, And Then Settling With Less Complex But More Fulfilling Beats.

yea i think that makes sense. its a natural progression to start off simple cause thats all you know. then the more you learn the more you try to do with layering and cluttering beats, but then you take what you learn and go back to the original style of nice and simple beats that bump, but now youve perfected how to make them better...sounds good to me...