COPYRIGHT CRIMINALS

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Dunno if this got shared here, but i just stumbled upon this while watching some vids about the Queensbridge projects. Enjoy.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I believe in people asking permission to sample something and not just in the context of Hip Hop but music today is so litigious that everything sounds calculated (and not in a good way either) and risk averse.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
I believe in people asking permission to sample something and not just in the context of Hip Hop but music today is so litigious that everything sounds calculated (and not in a good way either) and risk averse.

Its a tough subject, tbh. I can understand ppl "protecting" their goods but on the other hand i think by letting others use it without all this hassle with legality n shit can lead to some really nice results, its kinda like collabing with eachother to make the product evolve, not only your own wallet.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Nancy Pelosi No Surprise GIF by GIPHY News

no surprise who's posting about this

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
If there was no copyright, the majors would just steal everyone's music and you'd get no penny, no credit, no success, no anything as a result of your work. NOTHING. Whilst they rake in millions.

They've already been doing this. But at least there's still a chance you'll get some moolah, credited, maybe the royalties, and a plaque

Its a tough subject, tbh. I can understand ppl "protecting" their goods but on the other hand i think by letting others use it without all this hassle with legality n shit can lead to some really nice results, its kinda like collabing with eachother to make the product evolve, not only your own wallet.
It can also revive interest in old classics, making people seek out and buying the original. Making the original artists money

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
I'm gonna put this in its own post because i edited the last one to include it and keys saw the gif before i got the edit out.

I'm kinda of two minds when approaching this topic. I also don't really have much knowledge when it comes to the legal side of things. I understand both sides of the argument though and from what I can tell sampling is still very much (albeit less so than in the past) the wild west when it comes to music. I think that sampling really does breathe new life into certain music, and I think some external clause should be in order when concerned with making a completely new sound from an already produced piece of music. I'm not talking about cutting loops without any editing, but chopping, rearranging, and doing sound design to change it into something completely different. In my eyes, those type of beats, if they were used for monetary gain should always be cleared in full upon creation. I think there's an argument there for fair use otherwise, albeit a relatively flimsy one. I also think that with the way sampling is so prevalent in music there needs to be some way to circumvent the tangle of red tape for smaller artists who don't have the weight to throw around like the bigger names who don't have to worry about paying to clear samples. Maybe a percentage of profit oriented system that is dictated by units sold up to the point that the fee to clearing a sample is paid off. It's not like you control what blows up 9 times out of 10. Granted that will almost always result in the little guy getting fucked anyway because the only way to absolve the money owed is through litigation regardless. Unfortunately in real life David is inevitably stomped by Goliath.

The music industry is a monsterous behemoth that is known to fuck people who aren't operating in a legal grey area let alone someone who is sampling. Look at The Verve. They used a sample in Bittersweet Symphony and didn't make a cent off the song until 2019. They sampled a Rolling Stones song so they didn't get paid until Mick Jagger and Keith Richards released the royalties. They even cleared the sample for fuck sakes, they just got into a legal battle over the amount that was used. I don't think that should happen. Let alone having the money put into someone else's hands for over two decades.

It's a tricky subject. Especially when a lot of artists have signed the rights to their work away to a record company that will fight tooth and nail to protect their assets. I think out of anything I'm against the industry itself.

I think above all else its a matter of scale. A buddy of mine made a song using a beat that he found on youtube which used skyfall - adele as the hook before we knew anyone who made beats, or knew how to ourselves. It didn't just get demonetized, it got copyright struck mainly because it started getting a little bit of traction and hit around 6-7000 views. Dude was virtually unknown, and had no way of monetizing it even if he wanted to. I think theres something wrong with that. There was no money exchanging hands in any of it. Somehow though he has a track that is still up that was sampled from metallica of all bands that isn't copyright stricken still to this day 10ish years later.

I'm obviously mostly talking off the cuff, but I think there could be a way to determine the monetary value of sampling a song from an artist that could be determined by the units sold of the original itself, and until that is paid off, a percentage of the royalties/units sold on the sampled track goes to the original artist until the amount is paid in full. This both allows the second creator to make money and the original to get its dues paid. The biggest problem I see in this is the original artist's own ego or the label's greed. I'm a firm believer in the free market of ideas. I don't see anything wrong with a system that not only limits excessive litigation, but allows for transformative creation. The biggest hurdle would be deciding on a number to put to the value of a song. At least there is somewhat of a number that you could place as a starting point with the original selling what it did at the point of the release of the sampled version.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Yeah it's a tricky one and for me a catch 22.

I wish i could just go ou that sounds dope lemme rework that and blahblah "reimagined" etc etc

But at the same time it's still someone elses work. That piece of work may be held very importantly or specially, sentimentally to someone. Maybe that meaning or message was so important to someone that to have it reused as something else they feel damages or disrespects their initial song; to chuck random ideas out there, if someone wrote a song in memory of a passed love one, or maybe a song created against oppression is sampled as some sleazy party club banger.

Or even just simply, hey, i did all the hard work on that song; creatively, musically, paid all the mixing and mastering fees, for someone to go "oh thanks I'll just use that for free".

I also do collage Art, and have the same issue. "Oh this photo would be cool to use", i cut it out from the original, filter the photo into simple shapes, then use a stencil to use the shapes to shape a texture I took from somewhere else; for me all the elements are pretty removed from their original use. But similarly, that's still peoples work like, someone could be getting paid to take that image that i used. Or someones materials and efforts spent to create the texture.

It would probably be best if labels or original creators were easier in contacting and collaborating with. "Hey we cool you used that, we want 20% royalties" or "hey yeah happy for you to use that image as it's quite removed from the original" etc.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Yeah. I can't see that ever happening though. Major labels are becoming less and less relevant with the advent of the internet and easy access to recording. There's no way they'd do something outside of their own interests to help the little guy. At the end of the day they're just looking to make as much money as possible.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Yeah. I can't see that ever happening though. Major labels are becoming less and less relevant with the advent of the internet and easy access to recording. There's no way they'd do something outside of their own interests to help the little guy. At the end of the day they're just looking to make as much money as possible.
I find it sad. I love that old 80s vibe of record labels and all that. a certain romance to it.

people sitting around some shitty focusrite scarlet interface in their bedroom letting ozone master their tracks then spamming some shit youtube vid. it just ain't the same.

DIY lo-fi aesthetics used to be cool. But now it's not really lofi aesthetics, just absolute garbage.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Yeah, sure. Having a gatekeeping organizational structure does have its merits in that there isn't a sea of garbage out there in that situation. The thing to remember though is that romantic view of the industry of the 80s is supported by an overwhelming amount of people signing contracts and getting completely fucked over. Most of the people signing to these labels were effectively just kids who thought that they finally made it and didn't stop to think whether or not the deal is something beneficial to them. I mean its not just the music industry. Happens everywhere in entertainment. It's a designed catch 22. You can't succeed without them if they're the heartbeat to the industry, and if you go with them they try to milk you for every cent they can.

I mean the way things are now is still equally as unlikely to bottle the lightning, but its also far more likely in this scenario to do it without signing a contract that will hand over rights to your work. That shit never happened in the 80s.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Major @iDeaLoGiK labels sadly still milk legacy artists/albums as a risk averse way to stay relevant.

The @Iron Keys other thing I dig about the 80’s with regards to labels is older in age artists could debut in the marketplace.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Major @iDeaLoGiK labels sadly still milk legacy artists/albums as a risk averse way to stay relevant.

The @Iron Keys other thing I dig about the 80’s with regards to labels is older in age artists could debut in the marketplace.
I wasn't doubting that. I was just pointing out that there is an avenue to circumvent it now that was historically not there before the internet.

I agree with keys in the sense that this is the hard work of someone else that in sampling you're effectively taking. I honestly don't see a problem with it as long as dues are paid and its transformative. Granted copying direct loops, i think, is something that the original artist should undoubtedly have the final say over the right to release for sale. I also think that transformative sampling could be argued to be a completely different work that although still needs to be paid for, would have much more leeway in the access for creation of music. There is already a framework in place to create a metric for judging how much a song you've sampled is worth. Theres billboard charts and sales records. It would just have to be implemented fairly.

Having said that, I don't think it would ever happen, it would take too much power away from the record labels. You would get a massive influx of independent artists who only have to pay a percentage of profit to the labels without signing contracts. Who would sign to a label if they could just as easily make a killing without it? x% of 200,000 sales is still a fuckton of money. Especially considering most sales are done individually now. Albums are effectively a thing of the past and only a placeholder for a collection of work you did over a certain period of time now that people can pick and choose what specifically they want to buy off of each album.

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Albums are effectively a thing of the past and only a placeholder for a collection of work you did over a certain period of time now that people can pick and choose what specifically they want to buy off of each album.
Yep, and with it, the death of music.

Anyone remember buying an album and theres like a few tracks you'd skip every single time. Then after months* they'd become your favourite tracks on the record??

*can you remember listening to an album for months? Now days when a decent artist puts an album out i get excited, and on average, only listen to it for a day.