Copyrights and points, anyone from Montreal????

StraDivaRius

So determined....
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 94
Okay I need to know how copyrights works in Canada, most specifically Montreal. Where to go to do it and what are the advantages?.

Second question, what is the advantage of owning all the rights of your tracks?QWhat are they called and what can they be?What to do with that? How to keep them?

Third, what the hell is the point marking sytem of records sale? How does that work for me as a producer? How do I verify if i have been payed right???

I know that is a lot of question but this is a part of my this business I do not know yet, if anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated

Holla Back
Keep Diggin!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good questions. Check this site for a bunch of Canadian resources:
http://www.cria.ca/industry.htm

Socan.ca is another good site but their page seems to be down :(

The advantages of copyrighting your stuff is of course, if anyone tries to jack your stuff you can sue their ass since your stuff is registered and it's legally yours.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You have the right to put "copyright John Doe 2003" on your packaging if John Doe have the rights to this music. If you created something, you have the rights. But you can't put an alias if you didn't registered this alias at someplace legal before.
It's the basic copyright but it's contestable. Registering your songs at SOCAN if a good proof of your copyright (handy in court...).

I have absolutely no clue on how the record sale system work tho.

members online