Interviews Crocker Interview

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
crocker2.jpg

Crocker, born Terry Stephen Crocker Jr., was born in Spartanburg, South Carolina. He starting writing rhymes at the suggestion of a classmate in 2004 and has been creating ever since that day. Starting with his joint debut EP release with producer Jack Bandit, "The Story Of Hansel & Gretel" to his latest release "Crocker Does Audible Palindrome," Crocker has been a ever consistent workhorse in the Carolina hip-hop community.

He's done consistent bookings from New Jersey to the Carolinas and opened for such esteemed hip-hop legends like Tame One and El Da Sensei. He co-runs his independent digital record label Lovelorn Records and is gearing for the late April 2012 release of his debut album "Catharsis," which will feature production from talent like Prof. Logik, PIco 45, Jack Bandit, 10th Letter, Walter Kronkite, and more.

Crocker and his artists are in regular rotation on Carolina Cuts at illmuzikradio.com, here he took time out to do an interview with IllMuzik.

crocker1.jpg

What's up man? Can you introduce yourself?

Hi.... My name is Terry Stephen Crocker, Jr. and I'm racially challenged. Your favorite rapper's favorite cracker. Co-Founder of Lovelorn Records. Member of the Bastards Collective. LoneGunmen stand-in.

Where in the Carolinas are you located?

The upstate of South Carolina in good ole Spartanburg, South Carolina. From Whitney to Park Hills to Pacolet.

How would you describe your style?

Kid Rock if he read books and periodicals. If Ol Dirty Bastard was Baptist and enjoyed Johnny Cash & Bob Dylan. R.A. The Rugged Man meets Malcolm X.

Who or what would you say are your main influences?

Xzibit. Black Rob. AZ. The Notorious B.I.G. Bob Dylan. Johnny Cash.

What was your first song that you dropped?

Years and years ago it was Stormy Nights feat. Shock of the Spartanburg based crew, "Da Pharmacy".

How many songs do you have completed?

Probably in the neighborhood of 250 songs.

What is your favorite group?

Outkast. Ball & G. Goodie Mob. Heltah Skeltah. U.G.K. I could go on.

Who would you like to work with?

DJ Premier. Rick Rubin. Chuck D. Sean Price. Pete Rock.

crocker3.jpg

What was your greatest accomplishment?

Being any kind of relevant in the Carolina music scene. Opening for Da Artifacts (Tame One & El Da Sensei) in Asheville. Getting Lovelorn Records off of the ground.

What do you like to do when you're not recording?

Hang out with my people. We record & do shows together. We also like to annoy each other from time to time in our spare time. Hell honestly, if I'm not doing something music related, I feel like I'm wasting precious time.

What do you think about the current state of Hip Hop?

There's glorious bright spots of people creating and saying something personal. Something dope. Something real. Something different. To those people, I salute you. And I could say a lot of derogatory things in reference to the others, but I'll just leave it at this: quit making the culture look bad. We're not a bunch of ignorant, exaggerated stereotypes two-stepping around for the enjoyment of little Billy and little Sally.

Will you be touring in the future?

Ghani Gautama, Lock One, Ratchet Kills, and myself just completed the first round of the Boom Bap & Broke Tour here recently. Ghani and I have discussed that we'd like to get a second round kicked off possibly late Summer, early Fall... but nothing official.

Any Shout outs?

My partners in Lovelorn Records: Caleb Naquin, Justin Tripam, and Krosswordze of The LoneGunmen. My fiancee Hillary Keane. Walter Kronkite. Prof. Logik. Feather Fly Focus. Hafez The Beast. Ghani Gautama. Shadow. The Blackwood's of Trilogy Productions. Jack Bandit. Pico 45. Lindsay Keane. JubbyFUK. 10th Letter. The Apollo Theory. Brittany Brock. Jeremy Camp (Pinebrook Pictures). Devin Keane (Old School Productions.) WPBR The Radio Room. Ground Zero. The Showroom. Spartanburg. Greenville. IllMuzik Radio. No One Likes Your Band. M.E.H. QCHH. Bastards. Shock & Da Pharmacy. Hip-Hop.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Dope interview! Ive checked Crocker on ytube, luv the energy he generates. "I go search for four and fred durst the ho!" hahaha!

members online