Diggin 4 Beats

KEV31

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Now i've seen some of the previous topics on breaks, and i don't think my questions apply to those. I was watching the documentary on diggin and somebody mentioned the drummer for james brown ( i cant think of his name right now). Anyway, i wanted to know if some drummers for singers put out some albums of there own because they probably have some nice breaks. also if you could think of some musicians that played in bands and could have made a solo album.

I'm very new to diggin, so i got alot to learn.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
...Basically, you want to find a album of drums, strictly drums... right?

Actual digging is finding good breaks in existing songs and cutting/rearranging the part you wanna use...

for solo percussions (not always drums) you can look for Norio Fukushi and Toshi Ichiyanagi albums... there are a lot of others, but, my advice would be to look for breaks in existing songs.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yeah basically, thats what you have to do, is maybe find some old rock records and search through the songs until its just a solo drummer, and cut up those pieces, kick, snare, hats, cymbal, etc. and rearrange it so that it fits you. I know there are records you can buy that have strickly breaks on them, but they have been used way too much. Although i'm sure there are albums of just drummers, but i haven't come across any yet

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Thats an interesting avenue you're talking about. Looking for the drummer that made the funky break to see if he's released any of his own albums? Cool concept i've never thought of that before. Might be some extra work but in the digging world what isn't lol. Even if you find an album released by say the drummer, it most likely wont be just drum loops or anything close to that.

E

evolveone

i usually just try to find albums that the drummer appears on...same thing with any other cats I might want to sample..

RaO large

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I found some old drum instruction records aswell. I've been lucky to find mine cheap. But iv'e seen some for as much as $100

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Well in James Brown's case it's pretty interesting. His band went out on various projects, not just the drummer on his own though. James had three main drummers throughout his career, the first prominent one being Melvin Parker (Papa's got a brand new bag, I got you etc), then Clyde Stubblefield (Funky drummer, cold sweat, i got the feelin) and John "Jabo" Starks (Sex machine, get on the good foot).

Jabo is the one who stayed the longest with the JB's I think, and that's why he gets the most recongnision. But both Clyde and Jabo has recently done instructional videos for drummers. I bet you could get a hold of them and sample alot from them!

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
May i suggest buyin Percussion Records. I had a Latin Percussion Record and man that thing had enough sounds to create your own Drum Library. But i sold it already. (no im not tryin to promote in here) But anyways check out those kinds of records fam.

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
same as above i pick up native american cd's for different drum sounds also old reggae records/songs have lots of drum solos

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.