Dinner Party || Chill, Jazzy, Lo-fi Beat

The bass and guitar is what really makes this beat pop off. The drums could hit a bit harder IMO for hip hop, the snare sounds pretty thin compared to the kick.
Actually I think the hats(I like the left and right play between the hats) and kick sound okay, its just that snare is a bit thin and back in the mix. The thin snare gives a more elevator(or dinner party lol) and less hip hop vibe, that bass guitar really adds the funk though. I could imagine this being on in the background while eating a meal though.

Also regarding my snare, its in the mix. I trim off below 90-130hz with an eq on all my snare/clap/rim etc samples, send them to a snare bus, then use Waves R-Vox to control the level, i send that to a drum bus with the other drums, then eq, compress and soft clipping saturation that bus, that gets sent to the master. The real secret sauce in the whole process is the soft clipping saturation, especially on the kick and bass, it adds thickness and warmth.
Ive been using these drums for years..

Last edited:

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
Hey All,

For the Canadians on here...happy thanksgiving!

Would love to borrow your ears and glean some feedback on this tune. Initially idea sketched out in Maschine. Final arrangement, mix and horn sounds are from Logic Pro. Bass and guitar was played by myself.

Cheers,

Nice vibe, I think 2Good said it already. All instruments go well together, arrangement is solid. Drums also on point, they got that "live" sound which really suits this particular beat. But they kind of drown in the mix. Also not a fan of the open hihat(the sound + panning)... Other than that, dope!!

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 6
This is real smooth. Very well mixed. I think drums are personal taste. Some folk like them to snap like the others have suggested but I don't think that's the sound you were going for.

It's very smooth, coffee shop type stuff. Personally I think it's almost too smooth which makes it sort of forgetful and generic sounding almost. Can't fault the production, mixing or use of instruments. It's all great but just doesn't have that "wow" factor for me.

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
This is very smooth, very nice job on the bass. Not gonna critique the drums cause I guess they could knock a little more but then they can also be soft and subtle like you have them with this style of music. Nicely done!!

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
@hosie and @Sole Element

Thank you both for the feedback! I was aiming for "smooth" over "boom bap" and I'm glad it comes across in that way.

with respect to being too "background music"....that is something that is challenging with Lo-Fi/Chill. My challenge is being "smooth" but also having something in the tune that sticks out and catches you. I'll keep looking for the secret formula lol.

Thanks,

Intro smooth, dope, chill really like it.
Interesting drums and percussion, bass is dope.
Was initially going to say bring the drums up a bit but on further listening felt it all compliments the groove and chill vibe.
Nice work man

Oh yeah playing the bass and guitar yourself, extra dope!!!

BiggChev

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 10
Intro smooth, dope, chill really like it.
Interesting drums and percussion, bass is dope.
Was initially going to say bring the drums up a bit but on further listening felt it all compliments the groove and chill vibe.
Nice work man

Oh yeah playing the bass and guitar yourself, extra dope!!!
Thanks @InsideOutBeats for the kind words!