Dirrty South BPM

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
What is the average bpm to get that dirryt south flava. I think that it'd be slow, but then again I always go to about 130 and space out the snares so I can freak my hats. Is this the correct method to get that sound? I hope so. Basically, i just need to know how to get those fats hi hats without turnin up my BPM and possibly ruining samples. I don't have an MPC , but when I ask my friend he said he uses his "tap" key. If there is a method like that to get the sound you want without turning up the BPM...how do you do that?

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
i really don't think there is right bpm for dirrty south type beats. Its all in your drum play. I think it boils down to your snares and hats and how you freak em.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Yeah man, if you talking about the stereotypical Dirty South like BG or maybe P then yeah you on the right track man, if you really wanna freak the BPM double it to like 240 and mess with it....but I would say between 127-135 BPM gonna get you some good results.....I would lay my hats first, 8ths, 16ths and then you can go back and add triplets.....another lil thing would be to put about 53% swing on the 8ths or the triplets....you should just study some beats and see what they are doing....hats carry the club beats for dirty dirty then find you some good 808/909 sounds, kicks and snares.....experiment with it because that sound is starting to change big time....use horns, strings and synths...yeah but if you don't have an MPC what are you using.... some software has a click function that works like the tap on the MPC.....if you have an arpeggiator you can also do your hats by experimenting with that too.....that would be similiar to the beat/note repeat on the mpc...

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Man its all about how u bounce the high hats and snar/clap placement like big D said. I make beats of all types and tempo's but all of them have that soutern feel becasue of my style of drum programming.

Its inportant to note that there is no Typical southern sound. In ATL u have crunk , In new orlenses u have bounce, in texas u have screw and in FLA you have miami bass.

you have to be more specfic

clas....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
the South sounds too much like Techno to me, i only like the Southern grimey ish but that still is a bit too bouncy.

a hip hop beat at 130 bpm??? dam.

sAfE.

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
dont forget all the cats out in carolina, justus league and all those cats, they got their own shit aswell. also nothing in the slightest like techno.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
well if you want a slow crunk beat go for about 80 bpm with a kick and a 808, a nice snare, and a sweet high hat you will be straight, but 130 is cool to just got to have the crunkness in it, its like when you hear some crunk shit you want to go buss a nigga head and shit, just put some energy in it

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I think a lot of people don't think of scarface, ghetto boys when they think of the Dirty south...LOL..its hard for them to get their minds away from Cash money and those beats and production style....when stripped down do resemble techno because of the 808/909 based drums...those are probably the ones the majority of peeps....NOT from the south relate to as dirty south.....Scarface never bought into that because he came b4 all of that other music most people branded dirty dirty.....if you listen to him he probably closer to Dre/West Coast in his style of production...

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
classic said:
Scarface, Outkast, 8ball MJG, T.I sound like techno??????

I dont think so man

class...

no, but they are not who im talking about. i mean generally the Lil Jon sound. Lil Jon even said himself his beats are inspired by the dance music and techno sound.

sAfE.

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Rhythmikal said:
no, but they are not who im talking about. i mean generally the Lil Jon sound. Lil Jon even said himself his beats are inspired by the dance music and techno sound.

sAfE.

Thanks for the information. I guess i have been on the right track after all. I don't know why I thought I was oding something totally different. I've made few club joints and may start to dibble and dabble in it again, but I like to go with straight raw, unorthodox kind of music. Tha advice is much appreciated!

HOLLa!

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
yea in the first scratch magazine lil john said that he uses a keyboard that is made for techno, and you can tell because he uses almost the same chord in almost all of his beats, but it is still a nice sound tho