Do I REALLY NEED an MPC?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Congrats on the purchase. I just remembered though about the new MPD pads and they have a "ghost note" thing, like they're super sensitive I think. Now I remember that's why I chose not to get it a few years ago.

Anyway, the Studio should be dope, plus the software is good too.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
ogbama liked some posts in an old thread from 2010, our old warren buffet and industry discussion, man that was a good discussion, Id forgotten about that
I saw that, we always did have fun lively debates. Makes me miss the old guard around here. I considered Relic, Dac, Stress all real life friends as we would talk on the phone, collaborate and sometimes even fly out to meet up. We all met here. I owe a lot to this place for sure.

hosie

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 5
I saw that, we always did have fun lively debates. Makes me miss the old guard around here. I considered Relic, Dac, Stress all real life friends as we would talk on the phone, collaborate and sometimes even fly out to meet up. We all met here. I owe a lot to this place for sure.
That's amazing!

me and relic had our ups and downs over politics, he either liked me or disliked me based on a particular opinion, but he would call me from time to time, I remember spending a good while talking to relic while I was at a party with the girlfriend not too long ago. Good times, met up with dahkter when he came over from the USA, had a big falling out with classic over some ridiculousness, politics again. Social media is such cancer, I miss those old days before social media, when people werent so militant about their misinformed world views, except for maybe me, lmao. Just kidding, yeah man I owe this place a lot too. Would be good to have benny buku, stress, clev, relic, myth, dac and sucio around just for a laugh about the good ole days, wonder how ash holmz is doing, he was killing it here at one point. When I think about it, I dont think me and relic ever agreed on anything, but that was half the fun.

Last edited:

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
sucio, stress and I are still friends on FB and talk from time to time but both those guys are largely out of the game sadly. Relic fell off the face of the earth. Relic worked in the court system and has seen some shit. OMG did you ever hear the verse he did for me on a song where he played the part of an abusive boyfriend? He had seen so many court cases he made it super realistic. It still gives me chills check it out at 2:48 it’s NUTS.

was friends with stress, relic and formant on fb. Before I got booted for good, formant doesnt do hip hop anymore, hes moved towards drum n bass, which i suppose really suits him as its highly technical. Stress gave it one last burst a few years ago then gave up I think, couldnt deal with what hip hop has become, very relatable. I think clev is still doing his thing, not sure though. He had a crew of guys.
I have no way of talking to relic anymore.

sucio, stress and I are still friends on FB and talk from time to time but both those guys are largely out of the game sadly. Relic fell off the face of the earth. Relic worked in the court system and has seen some shit. OMG did you ever hear the verse he did for me on a song where he played the part of an abusive boyfriend? He had seen so many court cases he made it super realistic. It still gives me chills check it out at 2:48 it’s NUTS.

not gonna lie, i do miss relic.

hosie

ILLIEN

fox tv lol GIF by Rosewood

You'll definitely appareciate having drum pads.

I used my midi keyboard for years.

Drum pads changed slightly the way i make drums. And how i use sample chops.

Getting a keyboard dramatically changes how you make melodies and such.

Getting a drumpad also adds a new dimension to how you play stuff.
yeah I agree, pads are quickly growing on me. Somebody has brought a nice controller to the studio an Alesis keyboard, the keys are weighted and its a joy to use, the 16 pads feel really nice to use. I want one, my oxygen61 just feels so cheap in comparison.

@hosie I here you on that. I have used FL Studio for an extensive amount of time...10 to be exact. Back in 2017, I had enough money to purchase a used mpc 1000 which I pumped some pretty dope beats with that. I still used my FL studio 10 but I would work beats on my mpc as well. Unfortunately , it got messed up a few years ago. I currently still use my FL Studio and I have a MPD 226 and a MPK Mini. I would love to buy a MPC Live 2 but its not in my budget now.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Thanks for the quick and in-depth replies you guys. Much appreciated!

Thanks @OGBama I wasn't aware of Qrates. Looks really interesting.

@thedreampolice Thanks. I know what you're saying regards the end result but I actually do get a buzz out of making music. I'm currently in the zone of "kids are sleeping, pour coffee, lights dimmed, candles burning, headphones on". I get right into the vibe of it. The standalone music centre doesn't really appeal to me at the moment. Perhaps later down the line if I end up going live but I suspect at my grand ole age of 37 that I'll be doing that. @Fade I do love FL Studio and believe it only gets better with every update. I want my MPC / hardware to definitely sync with it.

@Fade I'm the same dude. I spent so long researching. I'm still very much old school and stuck in my ways. I considered so many older models - but then I thought that might actually hold me back and the chances of updates and syncing with my current setup were probably highly unlikely. Besides I have so little free time these days that any time I do get I like to be productive and as creative as possible. Thanks for the insight as always dude!

@2GooD Productions I don't know about getting bored. I've came in quite fresh to the new FL and I'm enjoying it. I think I'm more concerned about not being as productive or creative as I can be. If there's a quicker / better way to achieve what I'm already doing I'd like to get it and not feel like I'm wasting time I don't have to be. Thanks for being the first person to say don't get it. I fear I may disappoint you! :)

Guys, to put you in the picture. The MPC Studio is the entry level MPC. It's the cheapest. I feel like it's me dipping my toe in. If I like it and it works as I think it will I can see me having no hesitation in upgrading quite quickly. The Studio generally churns out at around £200-£230 and there's a local place doing a sale of it at £160. For me that's buttons for a a device like that and I can see me picking it up at the weekend. I will keep you all posted. Thank you very much for all the input and feedback!
I really can relate to the "kids are sleeping part time to create some music" part. Luckily, my kids are a bit older now and I can invest a few hours every week to make some beats.

I have a Maschine MK2 but I only recently really started to enjoy using it. I load some sample material in Maschine and tune around filter out frequencies create a few patterns and put some drums on it. I do that only trusting my ears. I think it is a big plus to have some hardware controls in this process. Later I import the stems to Studio One and analyze the Key and Chords the sample is in to add some more instrumentation or samples to it. And at a later stage I do mixing and mastering. My goal is to put out a beat every week. This really helps me improving my beatmaking game.