Drum machines like the Volca

Frankie_Lee

Beatmaker
I've a Volca Beat which I love the sound of, but it's broken now. I was going to get another but then I wondered if there's something better that maybe has a similar analogue sound. Something like the Arturia Impact or the Tanzmaus?

Anyone got any recommendations?

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Try @Frankie_Lee an MPC Live or Live II as it has way more tutorials. I'm tryin' to get "iamsight" (YouTube him) on board to the ILL soon re: tutorials.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I've a Volca Beat which I love the sound of, but it's broken now. I was going to get another but then I wondered if there's something better that maybe has a similar analogue sound. Something like the Arturia Impact or the Tanzmaus?

Anyone got any recommendations?
I forget the name, maybe it's the Volca, but @thedreampolice didn't you get something like that recently? There's also the discontinued Akai Rhythm Wolf, maybe that?

Try @Frankie_Lee an MPC Live or Live II as it has way more tutorials. I'm tryin' to get "iamsight" (YouTube him) on board to the ILL soon re: tutorials.
He's talking about analog gear drum machines, very different than an MPC.

But that can mean different things to different people.
Indeed.
Personally Id run a software drum sampler through tape saturation to fake analogue and have access to all my drum samples.
Im an in the box guy and in that world analogue is faked.
Being as the Volca retailed at around $170 im assuming he would be looking in the same ballpark too. Lots of assumptions from me and I should probably back out of this convo due to lack of experience.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Indeed.
Personally Id run a software drum sampler through tape saturation to fake analogue and have access to all my drum samples.
Im an in the box guy and in that world analogue is faked.
Being as the Volca retailed at around $170 im assuming he would be looking in the same ballpark too. Lots of assumptions from me and I should probably back out of this convo due to lack of experience.
Indeed, as you know im a big fan of an all in the box workflow. The differences between analog and modeled analog are pretty minimal. The ONLY reason I have a bunch of hardware is just to get away from a computer once in and while and have a different workflow, but from a purely sonic perspective I don't think it really makes that much of a difference.

Frankie_Lee

Beatmaker
Yeah it’s that analogue sound really. The Volca has a lovely deep kick and the hats range soft and crisp to very crunchy.

Wasn’t looking to spend a fortune. Hopefully Uber $300.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
@2GooD Productions is right, you absolutely can get that same sound in software. But if you are looking for analog drums under $300 there aren't too many options. I would probably grab another Volca since you can get one for like $150. I have always liked Arturia stuff, so while I have never used the Impact personally I'm sure you could get the sound you are looking for out of it.

Frankie_Lee

Beatmaker
Interesting. I don’t have great eyesight so I try to avoid computers if I can. When you say software are you thinking just of DAW based stuff or are there boxes you’d consider too?

members online