Drum Patterns

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
Im trying to improve my drum patterns because they always sound too robotic, i use reason and i have tried using the quantize and the presets are pretty wack, so i was wondering if anybody has any advice or tips etc. I want the patterns to flow like the alchemist's or dre's do, so then i can adapt that and make my own style if you know what i mean.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
^^^ try Playing them by hand if you Stuck on the Redrum nipple.
Also make sure you listen closely to what there Drums sounds like.. bass/layering can help Drum Tracks move aswell.

Dont always have ur Drum and Snare Grided, Slide offset a Few.. change the Velocities and things like that

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
in fruity loops there is a function called shift. with that you can put the notes closer together wich gives the drums a more human feel to it I think. don't know if there is anything like that in reason.
also play around with the gain a little, one bd a bit lower than the other.
hope it helps a bit.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
JPeg said:
get a midi controller, cos if u program drums on a grid its ur more likely to have stiff drum patterns or end up programming the same drum patterns over and over again.

i strongly disagree. my drum patterns are far from stiff, i and i have no shortage of patterns. i do nothing but step recording- on a grid.

it just comes to down to spending the time; spend the time. experiment. recreate patterns you know you like, for starters. get away from straight 16th note programming- start using 32 and 64 notes and offset the kick drum according to those values. experiment with time signatures.

honestly there is no quick fix- we can give you all the tips in the world but it still takes time to practice, experiment, and hone your craft.

my advice is to focus on that and that alone once in a while, and save basic patterns of different types as templates. it will be invaluable in the long run.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
like eka said use the shift..
besides that, play with velocity, panning, cutoff, res.
try to get some swing in your hihats by experimenting with patterns and delay etc.
use the pianoroll..
be creative..

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
i strongly disagree. my drum patterns are far from stiff, i and i have no shortage of patterns. i do nothing but step recording- on a grid.

it just comes to down to spending the time; spend the time. experiment. recreate patterns you know you like, for starters. get away from straight 16th note programming- start using 32 and 64 notes and offset the kick drum according to those values. experiment with time signatures.

honestly there is no quick fix- we can give you all the tips in the world but it still takes time to practice, experiment, and hone your craft.

my advice is to focus on that and that alone once in a while, and save basic patterns of different types as templates. it will be invaluable in the long run.

I agree with Cold T. Cuz I use the Reddrum grid, and i can come up with the exact drum patterns of anything I hear. And when you use a grid, you are sure to fall in the right time and tempo.

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
Nice one peeps, im jus gonna have to practice more at doing it, it will all come right in the end, lol.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
*i am by no means saying not to utilize any tuips you get, just saying that it will be the practice of those techniques that will yield results, not the techniques themselves.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Spin - Try swingin your drums out a bit.....U can either audition what tha swing effect will sound like immediatly in tha redrum if u step pattern....or if u draw tha hits in with tha pencil or even midi them in with say yer keyboard or a MPD...whatever.....then u can go back and highlight all those hits u made and then turn tha SHUFFLE knob to what u think might be suitable and then procede to choose shuffle in tha quantize menu....Last step is to jus press tha little Quantize button that looks like a musical note...After that yer notes should shifted/or swinged out.

STEEZ

members online