Interviews Drunk Pedestrians Interview

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
drunk-pedestrians-300x225.jpg

Illmuzik's own Chris Scheidies aka Dreampolice aka Drunk Pedestrians has recently released an incredible album entitled 'I am The Soundtrack' (previously reviewed). I caught up with him and asked questions about the making of the LP, instruments he used and much more. Now time for the interview.

What's up Chris?

Whats up man? Hows life?

You're a well known figure on ILL, but for those who don't know you, could you please briefly introduce yourself?

Well, I am a musician/producer/entrepreneur/geek I basically create music, other multimedia and fix technology for a living. You can see more at my personal web site chrisscheidies.com

What motivated you to make 'I am The Soundtrack'? What's the main concept behind it? What about the Drunk Pedestrians name?

After working in music so long and making beats forever I really wanted to tie it all together and make a hip hop record. (I had made like 4 other albums with another band) The name "I am the Soundtrack" is actually a joke my friend Klint said to me (Klint BTW painted the picture on my first album and read some of his poems to my music on the Expressive Aphasia album) I was beat boxing or singing or jamming at a BK once and he said "Dude you are like the soundtrack to life" I laughed and said "I am the Soundtrack" and then "That's what I am going to name my first hip-hop album." This was in like 2003 or something ha ha. The Drunk Pedestrians name is one I have had for a long time as well, probably 2002 and that is the name I went by for my own compositions. It is from the movie "Back to the Future II" and I just think it is freakin hilarious. As you can see I don't take it all that seriously ha ha

I really enjoyed the diverse, eclectic feel on the LP. Was that something you decided to go for? Or rather came naturally?

I think it was for a few reasons, one is that I have very eclectic tastes and love many different styles of music. I have LOVED hip-hop since about six and it has consumed me ever since, but I also love Blues, Folk, Rock music as well. Also I think since the album took so long to make it was natural to kinda grow as a musician as I was making it.

How long did it take you to complete this project?

Three years, two years longer than I planed and two years longer than it should have taken.

Is the music mostly composed? What instruments/equipment did you use?

Yes it is mostly all composed, with a few notable exceptions the intro song has lots of samples and the song "With Precision" is based on a sample but I tried to play the drums on the Maschine pads as live as possible. There is also samples in "She wears this cap" and only one person figured out what the sample was from and that was interestingly enough Don Chaffer, that blew me away! Everything else was played, most of the guitars/bass/keyboards where actually played by me, I tried to play all the drum parts for real as well. I have two six string bass's and one four. Interestingly enough the track "Let it go" was played on a bass I built myself and I have since retired it. It will never be heard from again. I played an Ibanez electric that I love on tracks like "Genesis Remix" and on the track "Mean" I play a custom hollow body "Blackburn" guitar that Dave Blackburn made custom just for me, it is the only one in the entire world and that's pretty cool. My main workstation is Reason+Record but there is a bit of Pro tools and Ableton live on this album. For example all the sounds on "Heads in a Net" where from Reason and played on a keyboard.

Please describe the mixing/mastering process.

Almost everything was mixed in Propellerheads Record, it is just a fantastic program! Having an entire SSL console at your command is very nice! I feel in general that hip-hop is more about the Emcee/Lyrics than anything else. I really wanted the vocals to be the focal point of everything on the album and I think that comes through. Then I mastered the album using Presonus Studio One. This software has blown me away! I used mastering techniques from Mitch Gallagher's DVD, it really helped that part of the process.

There's a bunch of guests on the LP, was that hard to manage?

Yes, this is one of the reasons it took so long. Just waiting on people to get back to you. Its also tough when I first started because people had to trust me that it was actually going somewhere because I did not have much to show at the time. Just some rock record's and an electronic album. Also you would not believe how many emcee's I turned down that just where not up to the quality I needed. That's a tough conversation to have. But I think it will be easier and faster to get good people from now on.

One of the guests that impressed me is longtime Illmuzik member Relic. I really didn't know he could spit that well. Were you surprised by his talents?

No, I met Relic years ago when I directed the music video for a Step Child song that he produced. They both flew out to BFE and I worked them in to the ground. But they never complained, they really impressed me and I felt they where very professional. Then when I talked to Relic about being on this project he was great about it. He actually spit "Genesis" to a click track and just sent me the vocals and said "have at it" when I finished the track he really didn't like it. But man when I heard his flow I just thought about old school synth's and drum machines and that's is what I made. He was very gracious about the entire thing and even though he did not like it he was cool and said to go ahead and use it. But that is one of the main reasons I did a remix, because I wanted him happy with it. And he did really like the remix, but I like both versions. He also totally blew me away on the track "Mean" . But yea I love his old school aggressive type flow. I feel he underrates himself as an emcee. There will be more DP/Relic colabs in the future.

What's your favorite song on the LP?

DUDE WHAT!?!?! That is like trying to pick a favorite child. They all have a unique vibe. But when I show someone a track I always show them "Building" first. Queen just did an amazing job. Well every emcee did an amazing job actually. Also everyone that I have talked to that has spent time with the album has a different favorite and I think that's cool. I don't ever want to have filler songs on a record, I want every track to be strong.

What's the next step music-wise? Any new projects in the works?

Well yes, this will sound insane but... I have an electronic album all but done, coming out in early 2011 called "Tyranny of the Urgent" I also am working on a few EP's with some illmuzik all stars (foreshadowing) in addition I am working on the next full Drunk Pedestrians album (the name is awesome but I can't tell you just yet), and then two more projects one of instrumentals but more in the vein of DJ shadow and one full length remix project of my favorite hip-hop songs hopefully like 12-15 tracks. Then of course I am playing bass with Ivory Hill and we are hitting the road hard in 2011 and we will be in the studio doing a LP. Then I am producing and mixing a few artists in 2011 that should be interesting. On top of that I try and get TV, Film placements for lots of my music and that takes time. So bottom line is that if you are an emcee contact me it seems I will need volunteers for the foreseeable future ha ha

Last but not least: why are you so obsessed with bacon?

If God where to reach his hand down from heaven and give us the best substance on earth surely he would bring arm fulls of bacon. Or maybe it would rain bacon like manna from heaven. Sometimes at night when the fairy's bring me dreams they bless me with vision's of salted meat that make my mouth water. Those times that I awake and my pillow is wet, I know that I have had the most delicious of all dreams. And I know deep in the depths of my heart that all is okay with the world ,that my day will be a grand adventure and filled with more bacon.

Thanks a lot for your time. Any shout outs?

Everyone that took time to be on the album, thanks! It would truly not be the same with out you! Special thanks to Relic for being on three songs. Of course to Don Chaffer, thanks for letting me use your poem. I have been a huge fan of Don's work for over a decade and I would put his writing up against any of the greats like Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen. Of course my family and the Illmuzik crew as well!

Download the album for free: drunkpedestrians.com

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Although it should ghave been about how awsome it is to talk to me more in this article heheheh, I thought this was a good write up. I look forward to hearing that electronica album as thats something Im getting into more nowadays! Dope , and thanks for the shoutout, we'll do more stuff soon!

members online