First Trap Beat

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37

Trying to adapt. Let me know what you think! I like to create "projects" to keep me motivated so my next one is to make a Halloween inspired trap beat CD. Still sticking with sampling though because I love it and my favorite part of beatmaking is trying to making something totally different from a sample. Welcome any and all feedback.

Sample:

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Thanks for listening! Ha, I hear you. At least I'm applying some concepts of hip-hop (sampling) to trap instead of a basic chord progression looped alongside a blown 808. Trying to bring my own element into what's trending haha.

Thanks for the feedback on the sample chops/progression. I had gone back and forth trying to slow down and loop vs. speeding up and chopping. Eventually just had to pick one and decided to go with, went with something that was a bit 'eerie' given the Halloween vibe. I'll have to revisit this sample again in the future, there's a lot to work with but it's one of those samples that sounds a lot easier to work with than it actually is (for me anyways).

In parts the bass is distorting like fuck as if you have 2 basses layered, because its not constant. Or maybe one of the kicks combined with the 808 is just distorting the fuck out of it. Its not pleasant distortion either. You will need to sidechain compress the 808 triggered by the kick, to duck the 808 when the kick hits. If you set the compressor to 4:1 Ratio, fastest attack and fastest release, set threshold so it does -6 to -12db of gain reduction. Leave the makeup gain as is. This will allow the kick to come through, without making your levels go off into the red.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
In parts the bass is distorting like fuck as if you have 2 basses layered, because its not constant. Or maybe one of the kicks combined with the 808 is just distorting the fuck out of it. Its not pleasant distortion either. You will need to sidechain compress the 808 triggered by the kick, to duck the 808 when the kick hits. If you set the compressor to 4:1 Ratio, fastest attack and fastest release, set threshold so it does -6 to -12db of gain reduction. Leave the makeup gain as is. This will allow the kick to come through, without making your levels go off into the red.
Thanks for the specifics on this, was looking forward to getting your mixing expertise because I had a real hard time mixing the low end on this one. I've never worked with such heavy 808s before.

There's a distorted kick over an 808 over certain parts. I was looking for a distorted sound, but as you can hear I struggled getting it right. Gonna follow this sidechain/compression advice on my next one!

members online