Foreign Copyrights? How does it work?

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
Copyright question?

WHat up ill-fam. Is anyone familiar with how copyrights work overseas? I have associate in Germany who says there are people interested in buying some beats from me. I have everything copyrighted here in the states. Is there a different process I have to go through for foreign territories or am I covered? I'm ready to get this money!

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm not sure if Germany is a signatory country... BUT according to the Paris convention.. as well as TRIPS (Trade Related aspects of Intellectual Property)

In a nutshell, foreign copyrights must be treated the same way as domestic copyrights. I couldn't imagine Germany not being a signatory country (there are 140+ countries that signed the agreement).

But if you're goin to be doing business, hire a professional...

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
Does that mean I have to get copyright forms from germany for basic copyright protection like we get from the U.S. Copyright office in DC? As long as I know I have it registered and protected, and I can retain my publishing.

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It means that if you have a work copywritten here in the US, it'll be protected in any country that signed the convention