Greetings!

spectralight

Beatmaker
Hey illmuzik crew, nice to join your community - looks like a great place with plenty of inspiration!

Looking forward to traversing the forums and taking part in some sample flipping..

I myself am still very much learning - as we always are, but here is a sample of my sound if your wondering what I might sound like at this point in time:

https://soundcloud.com/spectralight

Thanks guys and girls, going to take a tour of the grounds now.. ;)

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

spectralight

Beatmaker
Welcome @spectralight and how/when did you begin producing?

Cheers @OGBama thanks for the welcome.

I guess I have been a bit of a music fan for some time now - whether back to the days recording mixtapes in the car from the radio station while mum worked the markets, to packing a bowl after bowl to each track and just vibing the day away as a teen, to now - trying to create some magic of my own - music was always something I needed in my life..

Back in school days my friends used to use tracking programs like FT2, MT2, Pulse, etc. This was my first introduction to the art of electronic music making..

I did try to have a stab at making some stuff back then (heh, during that time I was into Euro/Psy/Goa trance) but found the tracker style interface to distracting and could never feel creative in the workflow, didn't ever finish a track either. And yes I have an eclectic taste in music from reggae, folk rock, hip hop, glitch hop, dub, future bass, jazz, drumstep, soul, trap you name it (anything but harsh screechy dubstep shit), there is just too much good stuff out there to be stuck listening in one genre I reckon..

After the trackers, FruityLooops came along, quite a game changer and a step up from the tracker style note input I was used to seeing..

Despite this new point and click interface, I still could not get creative and only tinkered.

Maybe if I had of dedicated myself here I could have gotten past the workflow issues, but it always seemed like some sort of click click programming and never really flowed for me (I have done some programming too, and the mindset I get is too analytical in these scenarios rather than creative - like forever tweaking this and that with all the onscreen knobs, buttons and menus - but still always ending up with that four bar loop).

So once again only tinkered..

All the above was during my teens in school until sometime after high school. After that I never really looked at music making for years - was still a music junkie though, too much other shit happening, some rocky years..

Then at around age 30 I picked up a Maschine, knowing that I always wanted to express the concepts kicking around in whats left of that mushy grey matter in mah noggin.

Maschine was such an inspiration and a blessing - I instantly gelled with the workflow (this being the first ever MIDI controller that I had seen or touched). And hey - switch off the computer screen and play that shit like an instrument, it was a dream come true and really opened me up to the word of production..

I still love my Maschine these days but find myself turning to Ableton much more to do certain things such as more surgical arranging, warping, waveform manipulation, song-wide automation, amongst the tons of other things that Live is capable of.

I sort of wish that I had invested in a Push controller instead of Maschine as I find myself turning to Ableton most of the time these days and see that there are so many more things learn after coming out from using solely Maschine as a DAW environment.

But yes - I was actually forced to quit my job about a year ago, so now I'm a stay at home dad at the moment - practicing beat making whenever I can..

Selling my music would obviously would be a beautiful thing - but I think I've still got quite a lot of polishing to do with my sound before I can even contemplate doing that. But then again Iv'e never really dug deep into the whole beat selling operation and I guess woudn't hurt to try..

Starting to rant but hey, a bit about me.. ;)

members online