Hearing Loss and Music Production

DROOGUHR

Battle Points: 3

This was cool. im actually deaf in my left ear from years of playing guitar in a thrash metal band where we practiced and played shows religously, and i was also a commercial diver for three years diving at deep depths almost everyday for those three years. panning is deff an issue so i only slighty pan when i do, andboth my speaker are set up on the right side of my studio so i can hear it pan better.ive been putting off diving into researching ways to help but i just started learning all this 8 months ago so all my time has going to watching tutorials and just having fun making music learning everything. deff time to start doing what that dude was saying cuz my mixing deff needs work lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

3ternal

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 3
I just recently started getting into the habit of listening/working with low volumes when the volume doesn't need to be high. Wasn't listening to high volume on purpose, just something that slipped my mind. I'd turn the song up to high level so I could hear everything better (especially when leveling things out) and just work like that for hours and hours, instead of turning everything back down after doing whatever I needed to do.

I just recently started getting into the habit of listening/working with low volumes when the volume doesn't need to be high. Wasn't listening to high volume on purpose, just something that slipped my mind. I'd turn the song up to high level so I could hear everything better (especially when leveling things out) and just work like that for hours and hours, instead of turning everything back down after doing whatever I needed to do.
i tend to work with volumes much lower these days, less fatiguing and you get better results, you can get a good idea of the overall balance of a mix by listening to it pretty low in volume, thats when things stand right out that shoudnt. I know I over do it with the bass, but I will perfect balancing it, one day.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544

I mix at like justa chill volume. But i will turn down my mix quite quiet because you then might notice certain things disappear, like the balance no longer feels right. I then turn it back to normal levels make adjustments and turn back down again to check.