How has the technical side of music translated into a creative vision for you?

I’m curious to hear what the relationship between the technical aspect of music (or art in general) and the actual creation of it has been for y'all? Did you learn the fundamentals of music theory, production etc. and build a foundation of skills/knowledge that could be applied to whatever you chose to create… or do you start with a creative vision and then acquire the knowledge/skills to execute that vision?

"The worst thing that can possibly happen is when you want to make something and you can't because of lack of technique or music knowledge."

I have followed this philosophy since I started making music and these are the words by Joe Satriani. I may have paraphrase it but the whole sense of the sentence is the same.

I agree with @crosstevsky that it all starts with a vision but if you don't have means to realise that vision it is useless. For me the technical aspect of music has been always very important. Answering your question, I did learn music theory and basics of music production. I was also practicing both playing an instrument and producing for hundreds or even thousands of hours. I didn't do this for the sake of just doing it, I was doing it so I was not limited by anything. I did have the urge to make music from the very first moment I took an instrument in my hands and I tried to express my thoughts but it took me some time to actually start doing.

So in my opinion technique and knowledge about music (not necessarily music theory) helps you translate and convey your musical ideas to other people and this is very important.

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
"The worst thing that can possibly happen is when you want to make something and you can't because of lack of technique or music knowledge."

I have followed this philosophy since I started making music and these are the words by Joe Satriani. I may have paraphrase it but the whole sense of the sentence is the same.

I agree with @crosstevsky that it all starts with a vision but if you don't have means to realise that vision it is useless. For me the technical aspect of music has been always very important. Answering your question, I did learn music theory and basics of music production. I was also practicing both playing an instrument and producing for hundreds or even thousands of hours. I didn't do this for the sake of just doing it, I was doing it so I was not limited by anything. I did have the urge to make music from the very first moment I took an instrument in my hands and I tried to express my thoughts but it took me some time to actually start doing.

So in my opinion technique and knowledge about music (not necessarily music theory) helps you translate and convey your musical ideas to other people and this is very important.
Yeah I agree...Also I think experimentation is a big and important element, many times I've come up with great ideas just by accident. Misplaced my kick , or hitting the "wrong"key...but it sounds better than done "correctly"...

To be clear, YES I know this is a very broad question and YES I know there are a million different answers. I’m just very curious what everyone thinks about this and would love to hear as many perspectives as possible. In your opinion, what makes people enjoy listening to music/ what makes music compelling/ what makes you want to listen to it again, There are no wrong answers...GO!
Yeah I agree...Also I think experimentation is a big and important element, many times I've come up with great ideas just by accident. Misplaced my kick , or hitting the "wrong"key...but it sounds better than done "correctly"...

I've also experienced such situations but in my case it was mainly when it comes to mixing and mastering. Recently, I discovered something very interesting by accident when I tried to do mastering. I asked myself "I'm curious what will happen if I add this plugin and do this and that" and it turned out to be an excellent solution. The most beautiful thing about music is that there are no rules. I mean there are but if you do something "incorrectly" according to the well-known principles and it sounds good then it's correct :D

I have a sickness Even worse than that.
I got too focused on technical aspects that now i sound boring af. all my beats sound boring. i don't even know what to do. i'm in a blank point.