how many records...

dae_rawk

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
how many records do yall typically use for a beat? u usually use one sample and chop or sample from multiple records?

i have been jus takin a loop or whatever off one piece of wax and choppin or whatever, loop it but recently i feel like all my beats are kinda...empty soundin. but if i try and sample like two or three different songs the sounds don't seem to fit...

yeah i'm still kinda new to the game...

peace.

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Dude,if you are new.Please don't try to start off sampling.

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Cause you are making it hard for your self starting off.
I feel it's right to learn the basics first.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
maybe anyway it dont matter how many records use that aint gonna make ur song more complete.

u just got to find the right sounds and break songs down.

for instance a song might consist of the following:

drums

bass

loop

background sound

a fill

now when u make ur beats think about which of these elements r missing in ur beat than try and fill the hole.

dae_rawk

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by mod1
Dude,if you are new.Please don't try to start off sampling.

ahaha yeah maybe you are right. but i've been playin keys for twelve years now. so i know music theory, beat counting whatever. i'm new to the whole sampling thing i guess..

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
I thought the basics was sampling, and I think most people started sampling in the first place. If you don't have a musical bone in your body, don't go making beats from scratch, develop your ear briefly, and maybe you can go further, but taking other peoples music or parts of it, would be easier than starting with a blank. There is a whole lot to learn just to get a original piece to sound right, you are better off cutting loops out of mastered music, and that way you can have something with a decent sound, rather than throwing your hands up trying to deal with something your not ready for yet.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I think that you can start off sampling....the best thing to do to start is snatch a 4 bar loop from say issaac hayes or some soul shidd....then get the loop going......then you can chop the loop into a REXX or some other slicer...or soundforge....then you can isolate your kicks, snares, basses, keys....then try to put them into a sequence......after you get good at that use your imagination....find some completely different samples from other records and try finding ways to merge them ......I like to make all of my own patterns so I try to stay away from vinyl loops that have the drums in there already, I stick to only taking small elements like the way Pete Rock used samples to avoid them being easily recognized.... I'm not really a fan of the Kanye West vinyl techniques though where you just Jack a whole fuggin phrase off the vinyl and there you go instant beat....but everybody has their methods so you gonna choose exactly the way you like to produce and then blend your style in.....

mod1

ILLMUZIK Bell-Boy
ill o.g.
Well,I didn't start off like that