How to achieve a good low pass filter on piano??

• beat this! voting starts in...
Normally when I make a beat with piano, all I do is cut off the low end, raise the mids (accordingly), adjust or cut some highs, and throw on vintage tape effects.

I decided to do something a little different today and take on that "Vintage low pass" type of sound that I've been hearing more of lately. It seemed easy enough but I wasn't able to achieve it. I'm so used to cutting out the low end that I'm not sure how much of it I should allow in the mix.

Any advice on the propper way to EQ your piano in this case?

Here is a good example:

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
I don't have a good answer to this :).

It depends on the piano you have I guess... If you have a very resonant piano with lots of trebles, you'll need to cut more than if it's already mid-focused.

Some tools exist like Izotope Match EQ but I never had convincing results with it.

I don't have a good answer to this :).

It depends on the piano you have I guess... If you have a very resonant piano with lots of trebles, you'll need to cut more than if it's already mid-focused.

Some tools exist like Izotope Match EQ but I never had convincing results with it.
Thanks man. I'm figuring out it does really depend on what piano your using, especially if it has a lot of percussive noise like the heavy clicking of the keys.

Fortunately, this morning I figured out that if I run a regular low pass and just cut out some room on top of the low end (for the bass and kick), the frequencies don't clash too much, and I can get away with that for now.

Last edited:
I think the piano is still low-mid, if not you might want to change the 'key' your working in. And like you said, use a 'roll off EQ' on the low frequencies.
I used your suggestion and went low mid. I also put a bit crusher on it and lowered the sample rate to bring out some more resonance and that pretty much nailed the effect I was looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: TWU