I have no idea what I am doing....

Gator

Hey! Very VERY new to this stuff. I have a background in playing guitar and singing in different bands from rock/pop punk/alternative to death metal. Never formally trained just self taught. I dabbled in hip hop/rap a while back just making raps to beats I found mainly making fun of people I didn't like.

Now I am actually attempting to make some beats of my own. I run into issues with not knowing if something is too simple or repetitive. It is hard for me to visualize because I have never perused this genre. I mean, it sounds good to my ear but I am more interested to hear how others feel about them and if they appeal to artists.

I am here to get pointers and honest opinions on on my creations. I have not made any full songs yet. More so just putting together hooks and only have about 8-10 that I have started. I have arranged some of them into ~1min clips but I don't think it is anything to showcase by any means. Here to learn and get input. Any and all criticism welcome.

Start off with showcase forum is there a better section to achieve results? I know a rule is giving input on other's tracks but not sure how much depth I can offer there :)

Gator

Hi Gator,

Welcome to Ill! :D

We have similar background as I also started from guitar playing. :) Take your time and post as much of your stuff in showcase, particpate in battles also message people whose beats you like and I am sure that you will get a proper help and advice that you can use to improve yourself ;)

Wish you a happy journey :)

I am glad you said this. I actually was creeping on a battle (warzone), I believe it was the last one or maybe the one just before that. There was a beat that I really like BUT I cannot find the bracket. Is this information stored or lost after the next contest is ready to start? If it is any help, I think the beat made bronze (maybe silver).

@crosstevsky, thank you for the welcome!

Hey! Very VERY new to this stuff. I have a background in playing guitar and singing in different bands from rock/pop punk/alternative to death metal. Never formally trained just self taught. I dabbled in hip hop/rap a while back just making raps to beats I found mainly making fun of people I didn't like.

Now I am actually attempting to make some beats of my own. I run into issues with not knowing if something is too simple or repetitive. It is hard for me to visualize because I have never perused this genre. I mean, it sounds good to my ear but I am more interested to hear how others feel about them and if they appeal to artists.

I am here to get pointers and honest opinions on on my creations. I have not made any full songs yet. More so just putting together hooks and only have about 8-10 that I have started. I have arranged some of them into ~1min clips but I don't think it is anything to showcase by any means. Here to learn and get input. Any and all criticism welcome.

Start off with showcase forum is there a better section to achieve results? I know a rule is giving input on other's tracks but not sure how much depth I can offer there :)
How much do you listen though? and do you rap too?
Showcase is an Awesome place, specially for you.
You're way ahead of most rap producers by now trust me, because you know music theory (idk how much you know though). U know the "Lo-fi beatmakers"? a Lo-fi beatmakers whole career can be deleted and remade by a regular jazz musician who knows a bit of music theory and some Instrument. Rap's not that different, you just gotta learn some fundamental stuff and put some creativity in then you're off to being a Legend.

Hi Gator,

Welcome to Ill! :D

We have similar background as I also started from guitar playing. :) Take your time and post as much of your stuff in showcase, particpate in battles also message people whose beats you like and I am sure that you will get a proper help and advice that you can use to improve yourself ;)

Wish you a happy journey :)
@Gator See? he started like you and he's one of the greatest Producers of this community, His feet still smell like my ass since our last battle :D

I am glad you said this. I actually was creeping on a battle (warzone), I believe it was the last one or maybe the one just before that. There was a beat that I really like BUT I cannot find the bracket. Is this information stored or lost after the next contest is ready to start? If it is any help, I think the beat made bronze (maybe silver).

@crosstevsky, thank you for the welcome!

If you go to "Beat Battles" section on the top of the page you will be able to see the results of the last battles. If you click on Warzone you will be able to access archives and then I am sure that you will be able to find what you want without any issue. :)

Gator

If you go to "Beat Battles" section on the top of the page you will be able to see the results of the last battles. If you click on Warzone you will be able to access archives and then I am sure that you will be able to find what you want without any issue. :)

I did check in there. I think I am referring to the March 6 Warzone. When I click this one it is blank. The one before shows the winners and all rounds including beats. Is the March 6 blank for you? Checked another browser just in case but no luck.

@ArvinArmani, For sure, I think my background with music will help me. I don't know exactly how much theory I know..... I think I know a bit without knowing I know it, you know what I mean? :)

@Gator

Try this link: https://www.illmuzik.com/beat-battles/archives/?cat=war&d=2020-03-07

It is for the 6th of March.

1585690147192.png

@Memento Beats That was it! Thanks dude.

It was that 4th round beat from @DEEZ BEATZ
FML he's everywhere... :D
@Gator man did u see the memento up there though? :D also above Memento there's 2good who is one of the OGs here.

For sure, I think my background with music will help me. I don't know exactly how much theory I know..... I think I know a bit without knowing I know it, you know what I mean?
Trust me man in this case I know what you mean more than you know what you mean lol.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Welcome @Gator but don’t dabble in Hip Hop, immerse yourself fully and commit to it!

members online