Interviews Interview With Beat This! Champion BigD

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
bigd1.gif

BigD is one of our premier members. He has been around for a while, constantly contributing, debating and helping other members. Since he won our latest Beat This! Battle (80's theme), I figured out that it's the perfect timing for an interview.

Holla @ ya BigD, wassup? Congratulations on winning Beat This! Way to go!

Thanks, I've been tryin' to win one of these things for awhile. I used to be in the ones at Alphabeats all the time about 3 or 4 years ago.

Please tell us about yourself; who's the man behind the internet mask?

I am first a musician, I was formally trained on Sax & Drums... but I taught myself keys, playing in different live bands around DC, Maryland and Virginia where I am from. I just turned 29 OMG so I have seen a lot of Hip-Hop, I am a veteran to production for streets and underground though I have been producing for at least 6 years, I do other genres too, we won't go into right now though! LOL.

Why BigD? Does it mean anything special? (I've always wondered LOL)?

My first name begins with a D... hehe plus I weigh in at about 245... so that's where it came from.

What's your recipe for making killer beats? You really got that magical touch - your beats are quite simple (mostly loop-based) but they are addictive and infectious!

Well I really grew up listening to Wu Tang and RZA based production along with Primo... so they stay true to vinyl for underground and stay close to loops without making things too hard for an MC. I start off with a drum pattern, then I either add strings and some kind of melody then the bass... it depends.

bigd2.gif

What's your setup like? Software vs. Hardware.

I have Fruity Loops Studio, Reason 2.5 and Logic if I want to just make some beats on the computer, but I have had lots of gear thru the years that I bought just selling my music for local rappers and singers... right now I just have an MPC3000 and Triton Xtreme, that's it.

What would you advise to those who want to get into the Hip-Hop production world? How's the industry treating new faces? Is there a tough competition goin' on?

Man it is simply politics. I am trying to work with some producers right now that are either based in New York or they are known in some of the labels for their projects so I stay close to them. It's funny you ask that because I work with new producers all of the time and give them advice... I consider myself almost an expert with hardware setups with up to 5 different pieces strung together on the MIDI bus. I know Firewire is here but MIDI is still used heavily.

What is your opinion on sampling? Is there going to be any sampling done in 20-30 years?

Yeah sampling is going to be around forever. I actually sample too but I really don't put any of my tracks up, maybe I will after I feel confident about them being hot.. LOL.'

bigd3.gif

What's your personal outlook on how Hip-Hop should sound? Do you support all these new Abstract/Experimental movements (what some people refer to as Nerd-Rap)?

Hip-Hop should keep certain elements I think, I mean I have experimented and made bounce beats... most of my production is sort of based upon people that want a beat made based upon an existing style, since I am in the middle of the East Coast there are a lot of different style artists.

What do you think of all those remix albums (for instance: 9th Wonder's God's Stepson)? Would you ever consider producing such a project? If you had the opportunity to choose the acapellas, whose would you use?

I am not really a big remixer... the last thing I remixed was Carl Thomas. She is... it was fun but not really my thing.

Tell us about your record collection! How's the crates been treating ya?

I have probably only about 100 records that I dig from all the time and maybe about 50 or 60 useless pieces of crap hiding around. You know, some Delfonics, Booker T & MG's, Stax and Polydor records but I have about 75 45's from the 60's 70's and 80's.

Here's a really nice question I once read in another interview: If you had the opportunity to teach a kid what you know about producing, in one sentence - what would you tell them they should always remember?

Keep an open mind, but don't let anyone tell you your shit is wack, stay focused and keep working on your stuff and mostly get comfortable with your gear, I switch up a lot because I have always worked with MIDI and as far as sequencing it's not that hard to figure one out if you are good on at least 2 hardware pieces.

bigd4.gif

What does IllMuzik mean to you? Is there anything you'd change? Whom do you consider to be all around helpful and friendly?

IllMuzik is a way to talk with other producers about everything, hear music and opinions from all over the world, it's pretty friendly I have been on for awhile, I'm a fixture.

Let's play a lil' game; write down your thoughts with relation to the following topics:

• Boom Bap - Hmmmm BDP.
  • Bling Bling - Not for me but I am around it all of the time... LOL.
  • Hip-Hop Honeys - Definitely something you must have.
  • Beyonce Knowles - I love that booty.
  • R&B - Will make a biiiig comeback in 2005.
  • Poetry - Not really my thing even though I work with a few poets.
  • Internet - Love it.
  • Marriage - Not for me right now.
  • USA - ???? a different place than I grew up in.
  • Terror - Over hyped but still dangerous.
  • Crime - Always gonna be here (white or blue collar).
  • Gangs - Not associated with any... (anymore).
Bush vs. Kerry?

Man what a fuggin tough question but definitely not Bush.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I dunno but next week I might have some big news on the production front.

Thank you for the interview. I wish you the best of luck, and remember that you're always wanted on ILLMUZIK; you have proven yourself to be a loyal friend, a great person and an outstanding musician. All the best!