Interviews Interview With Beat This! Champion Streetwize - Part 2

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Streetwize is one of IllMuzik's best and most creative beatmakers. The recent Beat This! has proven this fact (he won for the 2nd time). This is gonna be Streetwize's second interview (the first one was conducted by Freakwncy).

Yo Street, wassup? How does it feel to win for the 2nd time?

It feels real good to win a second time; I'm tryin' catch up to Afrique's 4 wins! Nah, seriously, it's real good to win because this beat was like the first beat I had made in a long ass time, so the time and effort I put into it all came to a good thing.

Who's Streetwize? Give us some info!

Man, I'm just a young, hungry producer from London trying to make moves into the industry. I've been working hard in the last 6 months to try and get myself closer and I'm still grinding.

What's your secret? How do you create all these bangin' beats?

Ahh, that would be telling. I seriously don't know myself. I just let my ear do the work. There is no secret from my point of view. I just do what my ear and my mind tells me to do.

How long have you been involved with beatmaking?

I been beatmaking for about 2 and a half years now. I started in August 2002 and I been doing it ever since. I'm not just a beatmaker though. Whenever I go to the studio, I get involved as much as I can when I'm recording with artists, I wanna get the same vision from the artist making the song from when I was making the beat.

How did you get into it in the first place?

I'm not too sure actually. One of my good friends Fash use to make beats for like a year before me or so and he kinda influenced me to try. I had always loved instrumentals and had a love for them since I started listening to Gangstarr and the beats Premo did. Fash kind of introduced me to Fruity Loops and from then, I been doing it.

Do you still enjoy it as much, or has it become more of a 9/5 job?

I probably enjoy it even more. Back when I started, my beats were so wack. I listen to them now and I'm like 'what the hell was I doing back then'. At least nowadays, when I make a beat, I can be reasonably satisfied with it. As you get better, I think you enjoy it more, because it gives you more confidence in your ability and gives you a platform to work with. It's definitely not a 9-5 job though. I just started college so music has been pushed back for a little while until I get settled into college life.

Who's your ultimate idol? Who makes you inspired?

DJ Premier. You probably see me on the boards always giving Premo props but he's my idol. I don't care when people say he's repetitive or he ain't versatile or whatever. I wanna tell it to you like this, when you hear a Premo beat on the radio or whatever, can you tell it's a Premo beat? Yes. Enough said.

What do you use? Software / Hardware?

I'm more of a software guy. I been using Fruity Loops since day one and I'm sticking to it. I also use it with Acid and Cool Edit. When I go to the studio, I work strictly with Cubase.

What's your approach to sampling?

You know, it depends. Like sometimes, if a loop is hot, then why change it? I don't want to chop just for the sake of chopping. When I listen to records, and I hear something with potential, I try and picture in my mind what to do with that sample. It all depends on the sample though.

What's your opinion of today's Hip-Hop?

It's cool, I mean, honestly, I'm not feeling the majority of the stuff that's being played on the radio and on TV at the moment but I'm glad Hip-Hop has gotten so popular because it gives us more of a chance in the industry. I'm still feeling the underground as I have been for a long time, I was impressed with the new Masta Ace album and also Krumbsnatcha's new album.

How's UK Hip-Hop doin'? Any progress made since the previous interview?

It's getting better man, definitely. Nas and Jay-Z have recognized this too. Jay signed a UK group to Roc-a-Fella and Nas made a competition for UK rappers to do a verse to Thief's Theme to be on the UK release of Street's Disciple. It's always a good thing when 2 of rap's elite are recognizing the potential we have out here.

I want ya to give some tips to the newbies who are just getting into the game. What would you recommend?

Don't quit. Be patient. Beatmaking is all about patience. I got friends who try and get into beatmaking and then quit after like 2-3 weeks because they think it's too much of a long process. Well you know what, it is. I'm sure you can make a beat in like 5-10 minutes, but for me, I'm a perfectionist, I spend ages on picking drums, chopping, arranging, etc. if you can't be bothered to take some serious time, then find a new hobby.

Tell us 'bout your recent projects; what's hot, what's new?

On the beat side, there hasn't been much activity. I just started college recently so I'm real busy with that. However, previously I worked with a label from Birmingham called Corrupt Village Records. They are getting bigger and have just opened up a London branch which my good friend is managing. We're trying to sort a deal out where I'll be an in-house producer for them. I'm hoping everything goes down well.

Where would you be in 5 years?

Making money! I want to either be in a job in the financial industry or if I can get a break, then obviously into the music industry.

Do you believe in the power of love? Are you a romantic person?

Yeah I do believe in it. I mean, love is such a powerful thing, you can trust me on that one. I'm not in a relationship at the moment, but I been there and I know what love can do to you. I can be romantic, I'm not one of those soppy dudes, but I can turn on the romance if I need. Haha.

What's your neighborhood like?

My neighborhood's cool. I come from the suburbs so it's pretty peaceful and quiet. We don't really interact all that much, but I mean we do what we have to do and so do the rest of my neighbors.

IllMuzik- more of a home or just a temporary place to spend some free time?

More of a home. It's the #1 site I go to when I sign onto the internet. I check IllMuzik even before I check my email! Of course it's a cool place to spend some free time, but I think of it more as a second home. I've met loads of cool members and chatted to loads of people on MSN or whatever.

Who are your top 5 members?

They aren't in any order but probably top 5 would be Chedda, Wings, Afrique, DJ Hoppa and Mercury Waters. There's loads of dudes I like though - Berserk, Cold Truth, Classic, Holmzini, Philsiarri, Fade (of course!), Producer Gyal, Freakwncy, etc'.

Anything you'd like to add?

Thanks Wings for the interview! Keep on grinding to all the dudes that are trying to break into the industry, if you get knocked down, get up again and handle ya business.

Thanks for the interview. Good luck in the future!

members online