Interviews Interview With Nomics Productions From Puerto Rico

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This week's interviewee is Nomics Productions from Puerto Rico. Check it out!

Yo Nomics, what's good man? Could you please introduce yourself to our readers? Where are you from? How is life over there?

Aight, what's good ya'll? I go by the name Nomics. You can catch me in a government listing under the name Jose Cruz. I was born in Puerto Rico, came to the states when I was 5, raised in Newburgh, NY. Currently I'm living up in Albany, NY. This is the capital of NY so there are always mad different things going on. The club scene is wild cause there's so many different colleges along with the local Albanians all mixing it up.

How did you find IllMuzik?

I stumbled upon IllMuzik just by looking online thru different search engines and various links posted throughout the web. I'm glad I did because this is one of THE BEST sites online for Producers.

What's your weapon of choice (gear/software)?

I EAT MY FRUITY LOOPS EVERYDAY!!! HAHA! As far as beatmaking, I basically do everything in FL. I use CEP to chop samples up. I also got like 4/5 Gigabytes of one-hits (like drums, percussion, strings, etc...). So I'm set when it comes to that. To make my tracks really come alive, I use various plugins like Waves and Amplitude. On the hardware side, I got a pair of Gemini PT-2000 turntables connected to a Numark DM1002X Mixer. Everything is run thru my Alesis M1 Active Mk2 Monitors purchased by my man "Markiss" who was the first investor in the company. GOOD LOOK NEGRO!!! I also got a BS Casio keyboard that I use here and there to layout basslines and such. All our vocal work is done with a Shure condenser mic and Mbox version of Pro Tools. On another note, I do wanna give a shout out to 9th Wonder for helping to show people the POWER of Fruity Loops. I've always been a fan of "it's not what you use, but how you use it!"

What projects are you working on? Have you got anything serious goin' on?

We got a lot of projects coming up in the future. First of all, there's the performance at the Cultural Carnival on the SUNY-Albany Campus in early October. I've been working wit a group called Militia One (www.militiaone.com) and they all spit fire. Made a few tracks for them and we 'bout to rock a few heads that day. Secondly, my company EQ Entertainment is about to release our first officially released LP with our first featured artist, Ty Butta, coming early 2005. Third, on a personal note, the release of my very first instrumental only album titled "Nomics Productions Presents: "Beats 4 Dayz"". Nothing but EXCLUSIVE tracks made strictly for your listening pleasure, coming early 2005. Lastly, the recording process has begun on EQ's first "Hip Hop Meets R&B Mixtape". I've started to work with a local DJ named Benny Blends on R&B blends with beats produced by EQ Producers. We gotta broaden our target market in order to let EVERYONE hear what EQ has to offer. We're heading in the independent route as a label. I know it makes getting into the biz that much harder, but it also makes it that much more gratifying in the long run.

nomicsproductions2.jpg

If you were a moderator (on IllMuzik), would you add anything to the site (sections/features)?

As far as sections/features go, I think IllMuzik got everything locked down. I do like the Showcase and artist feedback forums though. I have never seen similar forums on any other site I've been too. Showcases help everyone get reviewed, from newbies to vets, no one is overlooked.

Whom (on IllMuzik) do you consider to be the most helpful / knowledgeable (name 3 people)?

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Fade for putting up with people like me who are constantly PM'ing him asking him for this 'n' that. HAHA, good look son! As far as most helpful people, a lot of cats in the production and showcase forums give great tips of how to perfect your craft. I'ma student of the game and ALWAYS will be so I'm always listening to what cats gotta say. People like Class, Hectic, Markn. Man, basically everybody is helpful, 'cause any feedback is good feedback, whether it be positive or negative (there's also way too many to list). You know your steez too WINGS!

Are you married? Does your wife/girlfriend support you? Is she into music as well?

Ain't married yet, however my girl always supports me in my music. She would support me no matter what I did, whether it's picking up garbage or being a super producer, ain't nothing but love there. Sometimes she riffs about me doing TOO MUCH music, but to me there is never enough time to do music. She's really into music as a matter of fact, she listens to all different types of stuff and she got a hell of a voice as well but she fronts when I ask her to show me. I might have to lock her in the booth one of these days and find out firsthand.

Tell us some fun facts about yourself�

For starters, I graduated from college with a degree in Economics, hence my name, Nomics. Second, I love playing ball. I'll challenge anyone to get they five 'n' I'll get my five 'n' we can go at it. Third of all, ain't nothing wrong wit a lil' Hennessey now and then. HAHA! EQ!!!

Do you collect records? What music do you listen to?

HELL YEAH I COP RECORDS!!! Shit, ya'll gotta be kidding me. I try to collect ANYTHING that sounds good to my ear. It could be the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks album to the new Jay-Z. I'll listen to anything if it sounds good. I'll flip anything that don't sound good either 'n' try to make it sound good. I used to collect a lot of CDs back in the day before I really started to use my turntables. Still got them but there's jus SOOOO much more than can be found on vinyl. To me, that vinyl sound cannot and will not ever be duplicated.

Do you sample a lot? Would it be right to say that most of your music is entirely sample-based?

True and False. I've really only been sampling for like 8 months of the entire 3 years I've been producing. I used to make tons of sample-free beats. They were aight, I still got a lot of them. Shit, I STILL got my first beat I've EVER made. That's a keeper for life. However, once I started to learn how to sample, it started to become an art form, just like playing an instrument. There's just so many different ways to flip a sample. The same two cats will flip the same record but they are two different people with two different ears. For Example: Alchemist and Kanye. They both flipped that 'Lenny Williams - Cause I Love You' record in their own ways and they BOTH came out hot. Everyone has their own methods. I'm glad I started sample-free though, it's taught me a lot about music composition and how it's built from scratch. I give credit to anyone who plays an instrument cause it truly is an art. Don't get me wrong though, I can still get busy without samples.

Do you have musical background? Do you play any instruments?

I wish I did! I used to play the violin in like the 5th/6th grade but I stopped because it was a highly unmanly thing to do around my way. I can dabble a lil' somethin' on the keyboard but I am a LONGGGGG way from any real musician.

nomicsproductions3.jpg

Who is your idol? What's your life philosophy?

My father. He's taught me how to become a man, a son, and a father. Words can't explain the impact he's had on my life. My philosophy in life is simple, things happen for a reason. There are reasons why things happen to certain people at certain times. God got a plan for everyone and sometimes things can be unexplainable. Musically, I understand that it ain't my time yet to really get out there and show the world what I can do. However, if that time does come, believe me, I SHALL BE READY!!!

Hey, Britney (Bimbo) Spears just got married! Would you like to congratulate her? As a matter of fact, do you have anything you'd like to tell her?

Oops, dis biatch dun did it again. Yo B, you need some beats?

Do you watch MTV? What are some of your favorite TV channels?

I don't really have much time to watch TV with a full time job, a girl and a son. When I do, I usually just leave it on ESPN or some other sports channel. I watch the music channels sometimes, but watching them is frustrating at times 'cause of all the poppycock that's on there.

Explain to us why you love Hip-Hop; Try to illustrate the beauty of Hip-Hop using words. How would you describe what Hip-Hop is to those who haven't heard it?

See: "Hip Hop" - by Mos Def and "Ebonics" - by Big L. Next question.

Thank you for sharing. Do you have anything else to add?

First and foremost, I'd like to say wassup to my son Jayden, WATUP MAN!!! I'd like to give a shout out to all my EQ fam, Ty Butta, Coming Soon, Louie, Benny Blends. To all my EQ investors who believed in the kid, Bnice, Kiss, Bnutz, Jroc, Gerald (you don't know you investing yet but you will, haha). Also like to give a shout out to my girl Jamilyn, I love you. If I ain't mention ya'll name, don't get it twisted, I know who my real peoples is. If I ever make it in the future, believe me, I will never forget where I came from, that's my WORD!

members online