Interviews Interview With San Diego Producer Agent Smith

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
agentsmith1.jpg

John Smith: "My goal in music is to get you, the listener, to hear what my soul sounds like. I want you to be able to hear what my thoughts are singing to me. I want to make you nod your head. I'm a confusing lyricist, and a lot of my music is difficult to swallow for some people and I won't have it any other way, because if music is always non lethal and easy to swallow, it means you've heard it before".

John Smith's music is indeed not exactly mild; best described as fairly unconventional and rather adventurous, John - who is both an emcee and a producer, is acquiring a growing reputation as an exceptional craftsman. An artisan of a particular kind; John certainly doesn't compromise when it comes to the quality of his production and expression of esthetics.

Greetings comrade! Let's start off with a proper introduction. Who are you, John C. Smith, A.K.A Agent Smith?

Well, I was born and raised in San Diego. I'm on my way to San Diego State University to study film production, and after that, I'll probably be going on to study some audio engineering.

How long have you been involved with music-making? How has it all started?

I got my first guitar when I was in maybe 3rd grade. I never got serious about guitar until about 6th grade. I continued on to pick up bass and drums, and steadily I got into more electronic music around my freshman year (originally because I was into trance at the time and that's what I wanted to get into producing). It's funny because I went from being way into punk and metal, and through electronic music, I became acquainted with underground Hip-Hop. Instead of starting with Jay-Z and Luda, etc. and working my way further underground, I started with, like, Anti-Pop Consortium and Hieroglyphics and moved around from there.

And so, amidst my experimental Hip-Hop and Electronica phase, I met an MC in my class who said he was looking for beats. I told him I was into making that sort of thing and our partnership just sort of started there. My focus shifted completely to Hip-Hop and in doing so, it made me realize how much I had to learn about beat making and emceeing. I sort of went through a crash course of teaching myself to make beats by listening to others. I would say my style has developed from analyzing the experimental stuff that I was listening to then. And basically, this partnership has led me to being almost finished with a full length album titled "Hills to Point" with my partner, B-Ry (more info on that later).

agentsmith2.jpg

What equipment/software do you use? Is your music sample-based? What is your observation point on this whole 'Sampling vs. Keyboard-Beats' debate?

I started out on Reason 1.0 (now 3.0) and I still use that for chopping samples and sometimes for entire beats. Right now though, the centerpiece of my studio is a Roland Fantom X. I also use an access Virus C for a lot of synth work. I record using Logic Pro 7 and I sample using my turntables and mixer. I would say that my music is a hybrid of sampling and keyboards (and occasionally live instruments). I would also say that this is on purpose because it gives me the best of both worlds. It allows me to have the beauty of history through music, the thrill of the search, the fun of chopping samples and reanimating them as new melodies on one side, and on the other, complete control over melody and mood. My view on the sampling vs. keyboard debate is that you are only limiting yourself by subscribing to one of those methods. I think it is closed-minded and foolish to ignore the power of both.

Do you collect music? What kind of music do you mostly listen to?

I have hundreds of CDs, and also hundreds of records that I haven't even scratched the surface of. I love music that is a challenge to listen to, but also communicates complete control over the sound. I love music that inspires me to make my own. This can manifest itself through Hip-Hop, Drum N Bass, and Rock. I listen to these mostly but I also love to find music that stumps me on how to classify it.

In what way has music influenced your life?

It's definitely given me a creative outlet. I really am not sure what I would be up to right now if I couldn't pour my soul into music and self-expression. Music has shown me that there is still beauty in the human mind.

Please share some of your personal experiences with beat-making. Give us 5 tips/tricks for a perfect beat!

Personal experiences... hmm. I have experiences that I'm sure everyone else has... that feeling when you know you have an amazing beat, the feeling when people tell you that, the satisfaction in finishing it, the frustration of not finding inspiration.

5 tips?

1. Don't spend too much time comparing yourself to your favorite producer. It just confuses you. If anything, do something you know they wouldn't do.
  2. In my opinion, behind developing skill, developing your style is the most important thing to do, and if you have to be way different, so be it (as long as you feel what you're doing and it isn't shitty just to be different).
  3. Don't limit yourself to the methods you know. Branch out and try plugging a Casio keyboard through an analog FX pedal and mic the amp or something like that.
  4. SAVE YOUR WORK.
  5. It helps sometimes to take breaks (maybe an hour, maybe a day).
What do you enjoy the most - emceeing or producing? Which one of these mediums allows you to reach a maximal level of self expression?

That's a tough one - it's almost like I can't imagine one without the other. In terms of expressing myself, my music and my words sort of have a symbiotic relationship. On one hand, I love being able to paint pictures with words to tell a story, etc. and on the other hand, there's something about that feeling you get when you hear music that you've created and it gives you a shot of adrenaline.

Back to your early days: How would you describe your childhood? Were you a happy adolescent? Does it influence you as an artist at the present time?

When I was about 9 or 10, my parents got divorced. It was definitely hard on me. I would say that has had a huge influence on my music and how I've learned to express myself. I've tried to remain strong since then, and I've used what it has taught me about coping with hard times. Some people say they can hear angst in my music and this is where I think it comes from.

agentsmith3.jpg

What are your future plans? What do you strive for, on a personal level and as an artist?

My future plans are to go wherever my music takes me. I realize that the type of music I make probably won't go platinum but you never know. I just plan to be satisfied and I plan to have fun with my music. I never want to wake up and realize that I have been wasting my time. I never want to wake up and realize that I have been selfish, or that I have denied what I believe in. When I die, I want people to remember how passionate I was, and how much I cared.

Do you have any regrets regarding something you have done in the past?

I kind of wish I would have tried harder in high school.

How do you see Hip-Hop's advancement within the next few years?

Hip-Hop (as far as the mainstream goes) is in a drought right now. It has become, as we all know, a dick-wagging circus. I think intelligent Hip-Hop is going to break through soon and it's going to be slow but it will end up huge. During that time, I think Rock will go back to being the party genre. Both of those will get ridiculously played out and the cycle will start again.

If you got the chance, would you produce a commercial Rap album? Would you like to become a first rate celebrity?

It all depends on who. I can't see many emcees that I would like to produce an album for - maybe Andre 3000? Maaaaaybe Kanye? (just to hear him over a different type of beat, so he would be outside his comfort zone). I really wouldn't want to become a megastar - I kind of like being able to go to McDonald's without body guards.

agentsmith4.jpg

If you were the interviewer, what would you ask yourself?

John, can I give you 1,000,000 dollars?

What are your thoughts concerning IllMuzik? How did you find IllMuzik in the first place?

IllMuzik has been priceless for me. It was very helpful in the beginning when I had loads of questions. I took a break for a while to develop my sound on my own and then came back to contribute to the community. I found IllMuzik through Google. I wanted to find a forum of people who knew what they were doing when it came to making beats, and this is where I found that.

Since you've bought haloDim, I'd like to ask you for a concise report of your listening sessions + a description of the album (if you had to write a descriptive statement for a newspaper)� haloDim� Where do I start?

Say the word "Hip-Hop" to yourself. Doesn't have to be out loud. Just get that image in your mind. Now bust that image to pieces, because this is so much more than what you are thinking about. This is poetry at its finest. This is composition of dreams and theories translated through sound-waves. The thing that struck me about this album is that it set a melancholy, yet beautiful mood right from the get-go, and maintained the mood throughout the album. The last album I listened to, that did that this well, was Cannibal Ox's "The Cold Vein". This album is complete with words and ideas, masterfully delivered in Mercury Waters' smooth cadence, set to Wings Of An Angel's foggy, ethereal soundtrack. It tackles issues that few have ever considered. Why? Why not. In Wings Of An Angel's own words, "This album was meant to be revolutionary." And I think that goal has pretty much been achieved. Good work.

Please express your outlook regarding the following themes:

• Schizophrenia: Something I cannot imagine living with.
  • Committing Suicide: This just makes me think how true it is that pain and stress is relative. It makes me think about how, if we could only feel what others feel, maybe this would happen less.
  • The Motherland: I have a bunch of motherlands. My heritage is pretty mixed: Irish, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian. I wonder what it would be like to have only one motherland?
  • Individualism vs. Conformity: Because individualism has a name, it is a form of conformity. That being said, I always strive to conform to the idea of being an individual. Feel me?
  • Females: A source of elation and agony all at the same time. I love them.
  • Graffiti: Art in its rawest form. Beauty.
  • UFOs: I wouldn't be surprised if they were real.
  • The Holocaust: Humanity at its lowest point. Stupidity at its highest rain. Evil and its effects. Satan working through a goofy looking man with a toothbrush moustache.
  • Life vs. Death: Life is existence on earth. Death is still existence, just an intangible one.
  • God vs. Satan: God is the source of my skill, Satan is what resists me. God=Love.
  • Cannibalism: Hmm, definitely not a big fan of it. I'm not sure I would like to live in a society where it was acceptable to eat your neighbor.
  • Education: Necessary. A source of power. As long as it's not skewed.
Thank you for your comprehensive answers, John. I wish you all the best! Warm Greetings!

members online