Is a Digitakt worth a try?

Frankie_Lee

Beatmaker
I sold some gear and I'm very tempted to spend the cash on something from Elektron as people seem to rave about their usability. I don't really have the budget for the bigger stuff, but I could stretch to a Digitakt. But I'm worried that it doesn't really offer much to someone who uses an MPC One daily? Any thoughts?

I'm really looking for a drum machine that works with samples and lets you tweak those samples significantly. Ideally with the ability to layer in some sort of synthesis on top, but I think that is only available on the Rytm?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I own an mpc one, a digitakt and an Rytm. You are correct in that digitakt does not have a synthesis engine, and it’s a mono sampler on top of it. By all accounts the mpc one is more powerful, but let me tell you the digitakt is just amazing at creating chaos and happy accidents. It’s pure fun once you get over the learning curve and it’s just fast to come up with crazy ideas. I can’t imagine getting rid of mine. They also have good resell value so if you don’t like it you can sell it on reverb.com or wherever for a good return. Know that it takes time to get up to speed on it, but it’s well worth it. It’s the device that got me in to the Elektron world and that’s pretty fun. I have an Octa track as well now.

Frankie_Lee

Beatmaker
Just to finish this thread off I got a Circuit Rhythm instead. Pairing this with Samples from Mars library makes for a really sweet drum machine. Happy to answer questions on it.

I would add that rechargeable batteries need to become an industry standard. So handy.

Frankie_Lee

Beatmaker
I love it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for everyone. I wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone unit for sure. I bought it mainly as a drum sequencer. I debated going with something analogue like the Drumbrute but decided sample-based would give me more flexibility. Certainly, paring this with the Samples from Mars catalogue gives you more drums then you could ever need tbh.

I've used an OG Circuit for a while and I really like the no-screen experience as I have eyesight issues. So I went with the Rhythm. I really wanted something that would force me to use my ears not my eyes and it certainly does that.

However, coming from an MPC One, it can be frustrating to chop things with the level of precision I'm used to. The only other pain is that with no screen, it's hard to keep track of what packs are stored where. I ended up creating a grid chart with all the packs laid out and stuck it to the back.

Overall, it's really quick and nimble to use. I find it much easier to experiment with than the MPC. And the rechargeable battery is a HUGE plus imo.

Please Korg, update the Volcas to do the same!

members online