Interviews Jansport J

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Backpacking across the world would be something that I would love to do. But unfortunately I've been told I have too much baggage, therefore I must leave my dreams behind. Luckily we have people like Mr. J Will, better known as Jansport J to pack a case "The Carry-On Experience" that is, full of fresh beats laced by hungry underground artists to keep my dreams alive. J's modest personality, keen sense of humor and innovative production style is a breath of fresh air, in this smog of a "you call that a beat" phase. Don't sleep, I absolutely see and hear big things in the hip hop universe happening for this cat. So with that said, please sit back, read and learn how to pack when you travel through the land of life.

(SETTLES IN ON THE RUG) Hey Sport, let me see your back pack. Umm, what's this? Tell me, how old you were when you had the "awakening" to hip hop. By any chance do you remember what song was playing?

I don't know if it all came at once but there were definitely different songs that kind of brought me along. My first hip hop memory was my sister blasting the Salt n Pepa video back in '89, Push It. After that I'd have to say my first favorite song was T.R.O.Y. by Pete Rock and CL Smooth.

My favorite Salt n Pepa jam is "Get Up". That is one of the illest hip hop joints of all time, the production is fire! They went so hard with the lyrics! I dig Pete Rock and CL Smooth; Damn! I miss that hip hop! Mecca and the Soul Brother! What? Dude "Straighten It Out" was my shit! Yo! Pete, come get "crushed" holla! BUT this interview is about you, hi J!

LOL! You're crazy! But yea, I had to be six or seven around the time when I had my first REAL taste of hip hop. The opening horns to T.R.O.Y. are still hypnotizing to me till this day! I remember my sister would bump Yo! MTV Raps and Video Soul all day long, hip hop is my background music, it's always been there. But those horns made me listen and I paid attention.

jansportj1.jpg

Yes?!(Eyes wide) Was it then those spell bounding horns influenced you to make beats? How long have you been doing this?

The first album I heard that made me want to make beats was Timbaland and Magoo "Welcome to Our World". I didn't know how I would be able to do what Timbaland did; all I knew was that I wanted to be like him. I started messing with beats in 2002 and got serious about it in 2005.

Damn! I assumed you were doing this longer; you're hotter than most dudes that have been in the production game for over ten years.

I appreciate that! I think some of the best producers are producers all of their life, you know? Before the equipment I think producers listen to music in a different way and I've always had a different kind of ear.

Yes pa, I feel you! I hear music in everything. When I type, when my hells hit the ground! I remember as a child using my "See n Say" to scratch! ::motions hand to scratch:: (("m-m-moooo")) LOL, I was trying to impress my older brother. When was the first time you made a beat? Was it eating cereal?

Ha-ha!! Word! I used to scratch on the "See n Say" too! I did a lot of stuff like that. My sister had the boom box with the attached mike and I would pretend I had my own radio show or rap a TuPac song. But beat making on my own came around 2002. My best friend pirated Fruity Loops version 3 ha-ha and I would sit there all day messing around with it. I still have some of my first beats on a CD.

That's DOPE hold onto those, make back ups and send me copies! (Visions of dollar signs dance in my head) Ok so you lost your virginity to Loops, what do you use now? What's the difference?

Aw man those tracks; they're not much to hear, but I'm keeping them forever. Oh I still use Loops. People assume that I have a crazy MPC set up but I use FL Studio 8 Producers Edition. The difference now is that I study different producers and styles more. I actually bought it this time ha-ha so I have unlimited updates and all of that. I'll cut my own drums and everything, I'm adding to the program instead of limiting myself with what the program has already.

Could have fooled me, I thought your cave was luxurious. Leather recliners, big screens, snack bar, shit a bidet in the bathroom. Being so "humble" you crank out some ILL tracks and the craziest thing is J, a lot of people who have the top notch, high priced, state of the art, up to date equipment sound horrible. LOL!

Ha-ha that's a good thing I guess for people to assume that but nope I'm simple and I know my art. And you're right, to be honest, it's about understanding what you have and knowing your craft.

What a flipping waste! LISTEN UP!! All you wack ass producers donate your equipment to those who know what to do with it!!! (Puts bull horn back in purse). So as we were saying, you said you study other producers? Who is master to your grasshopper?

Lol, Amen!! Pass all this way! Umm, I call them The Magical Four: 9th Wonder, Jay Dee, Pete Rock, and DJ Premier in no particular order ha-ha yea, but even outside of that when I was driving back today I popped in Late Registration and I'll be a rebel and say sonically, production wise, that is Kanye's best.

YES damn it man all the crushing I did, every producer has named them maybe I should just stop asking that question? So Kanye is a "bonus" favorite producer and you have an opinion don't ever be apologetic for your thoughts.

Yea, he's in the next tier with cats like Black Milk, Khrysis, Dr. Dre and Timbaland. But no one can touch "The Magic Four".

This Black Milk guy, I've heard that name twice today. Tell me why you dig him (runs to Google).

Black Milk is crazy, he spits and does beats, his samples are crazy and he has some of the hardest drums out there. The sound and his patterns aww man, just look up his new track "Give the Drummer Some", it's a monster.

(Jumps to Limewire) I love getting put on and before I forget I must say that I'm impressed by your admission to the "stepping stones" theory. Most producers these days just assume they're dope. I believe there is always room for improvement no matter what you do or how big time you get. Cheers to you for getting sweeter in the lab each time you go and staying passionate about your art.

Oh definitely. You have to learn from yourself man. Honestly, I feel like I'm at 25% of where I can and want to be musically. That's why I keep cranking out beats and challenging myself so I can get where I want to be sooner! And I appreciate that, the second you start feeling yourself you're done. I mean don't get me wrong, I know that I'm talented but I'm not satisfied.

How do you keep your passion flowing and not get bored, I mean what happens when you get "beat blocked?" Do you hide from the cold, cruel world and bump "Donuts" all day? (Ummmm Donuts).

My situation keeps me passionate. Being that I'm a poor college student who doesn't know what to do after school keeps me grinding all day. As far as beat blocks, I'll either keep plugging away at it work on drum patterns with nothing on top of it and save it for or chop a sample. I can always do something constructive; I have no time to just sit. Sometimes I'll go and listen to some different types of music. What gets me out of beat funks is finding the right sample, so if I'm in a rut I'll go and bump old soul records. I love listening to classic rock like The Beatles and The Doors.

jansportj2.jpg

(Singing) "Come on baby light my fiiiiiiire!" Son, I dig The Doors! It's sweet that "good" music can reach so many people no matter the race, creed, sex, color him or her! With that said, you're mad soulful, kind of reminds me of that 90's hip hop that I miss so much! Tell me about "The Carry On Experience" the tracks on there are sick. I want to know how you came up with the idea and where are the LADIES? (Grrr).

Yeah man. White Album is one of my favorite albums ever, any genre. Thank you and no doubt, the idea came out of frustration. I would hear a lot of up and coming rappers talk about things that they don't have. There's nothing wrong with rapping about ice, females and all of that, if you have it, but don't send the wrong idea to these cats trying to come up. I would chop it up with some of my peoples and we all agreed to drop a project where everybody rhymes about everyday issues, the real shit that we talk about with each other, women, bills and working a dead end job. The concept is that we've always been told that baggage is a negative thing but that baggage made you who you are. So when you take flight on your dreams, bring that "carry-on" with you. I got Prophit a rapper from Queens, NY on the title track. It's so raw everyone's connecting with it. Dude really wrote it at work when he says "sitting in the stock room, praying this can happen", he really was sitting in that stock room! Ha-ha! "Cold Hearted" features these dudes from my hometown of Covina, CA. It's real aggressive because they grasped the feel of the track. They each rhymed about stuff that was bothering them and you can hear it in their voices. But that's what the album was about, channeling that emotion, allowing the beat to bring that passion out.

Dope! That is so deep, so real. I downloaded the album and my favorite track is "Just Listen". What makes you come up with certain samples? Does it just depend on the day; do you already know what you're looking for when you go rummaging through your back pack? Or do you jump right in and go crazy?

Sometimes I'll get an old soul album and sample a couple of joints; sometimes I'll flip the same sample two or three different ways. A lot of times, it'll come in just everyday interactions, like a couple of weeks ago, me and my boy were talking about dope R&B songs. Jon B: "I Do" was on that night, I sprinted home and flipped the sample; I knew exactly where I wanted to take it.

Uh-huh! Damn! Yes I think I made my daughter off that one! I mean, yes! Jon B! Right on brother! (Thumbs up) (Whispers) "I want to hear what you did to that." So Sport I think I've gathered enough info about you, shall we start the "interview"?

What? I thought that was the interview? LOL, I mean I like that you actually get to know the artist a head of time, that's the best way to do it though, keep with that style people can't be rehearsed if you just talk to them. But I'm ready when you are.

Truth! I prefer my "victims" be comfortable when I dissect them for thousands of people. But I'm glad you're digging my technique and that was the "interview"! I was just foolin wit 'cha! Wanna play a game?

LOL yes, let's do that

Ok! Dude is with it, today's game is "Remix It". Here we go: Philadelphia

Tom Hanks. Ha-ha!

Jazzy Jeff or The Fresh Prince

Jazzy Jeff

(Damn 80's baby) Here's your Dumb Ass Question: Do you prefer your cucumbers pickled?

Uh?

What? (LOLzzz I can't believe it actually worked!! Thank you, Dave Chappelle!). Before I put this joint out, are there any smoke signals you want to send to anyone?

Yes! Be.water, The Bench Mob project is coming soon! Shout to Cov' Originals, Tri City Crew, everybody in the Cov', everybody that held down The Carry-On Experience and thank you Pink.

MUCH love right there. JANSPORT J, my dude. There will be an ass groove on my sofa just for you so stop in with all your bags whenever! Ha-ha! Thank you so much for landing on my planet baby; you have been officially "Crushed by PinkCookiz!" I think I hear your plane departing...

Ha-ha! Anytime, I appreciate the opportunity.

Sweet... Keep banging baby!

Today's crush was sponsored by the quote "I still love H.E.R." After hearing Jansport J's collaboration of tightly packed tracks on "The Carry-On Experience", I am convinced that not only is hip hop alive, it's kicking and making "hella" noise all the way in California! Now I'm not saying it shouldn't be but more and more producers these days, in my opinion are emulating the soulful bop that you would mostly find in "northern hip hop". It's truly dynamic the way a single track can connect, motivate and influence so many people from various backgrounds. Jansport has made this happen with this well crafted album, showcasing his ability to create beats that will either have you in the club posing cute, poppin' and lockin' or crunkin it up in a hip hop mosh pit. Simply put, the man is sweetly versatile. But you don't have to take my glossed lips for it, ladies grab your clutch purses and fellas get your backpacks on; download "The Carry-On Experience" and let's go! (ALL ABOARD!)

members online