Interviews JNyce

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
JNYCE is the DJ / Producer / fellow lyricist of Psych Ward, a three man Canadian horror core group based in Peterborough, Ontario. JNYCE, Kid Fade and Shallow Pockets released their acclaimed debut album "Decrepid Methods" in 2007. In 2008, they followed with "Rulers of the Damned". JNYCE also released "Vaults of Horror", a compilation which includes some of his best instrumentals.

jnyce.jpg

Sup JNYCE, what's going on?

Yo yo what's good homie??? I'm just chillin' out.

Tell us about yourself and your group Psych Ward. How long have you been making music, DJ'ing?

I've been DJ'ing for about 10 years and doing Psych Ward for 4 years. Making music my whole life.

Your last album is entitled "Rulers of the Damned". What is the main concept behind it?

The main concept on that album was some futuristic hardcore hip hop.

What sets Psych Ward apart from other horror core bands?

We are more hip hop influenced.

What made you want to specialize in horror core? Is the horror culture a passion of yours?

Yeah I'm a big fan of horror movie classics and I collect horror movie LP's on vinyl, we have done a few albums now with horror themes.

The lyrics on your albums are very hardcore to say the least. Would you say you're aiming towards a mature audience?

Yeah well everything these days is violent. We have an audience from 14-40.

Which producers are your main influences?

DJ Premier, RZA, Necro, Pete Rock.

Your top 5 Hip Hop albums?

In no order:
  • Nas - Illmatic
  • Kool G Rap - Live and Let Die
  • Wu Tang Clan - Enter The 36 Chambers
  • Mobb Deep - The Infamous
  • Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
What's your current setup like?

MPC 2000Xl and ASR 10 keyboard.

What's your beatmaking process?

I just listen to albums until I hear something I like, then I chop it up and have fun with it.

In a few words, describe your production style.

Dark abstract.

With whom would you like to collaborate?

R.A The Rugged Man, Ill Bill.

What do you think about the current state of Hip Hop? Is it really dead?

Nah there's still people doing it but the fan base isn't the same, it's gone mainstream.

Do you have any new projects in the works?

Yeah the new Psych Ward album "Street Slime" and my second instrumental CD "Vaults of Horror" Part 2.

Thanks for doing the interview. Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

Yo thanks a lot homie big respect.. peace to Lord Lhus, Al Tarba, Planet X, Savage Brothers Droogz Brigade, Bloodline, Wyze Mindz, Shallow Pockets & Kid Fade.