Just bought an Akai S900

loanshark316

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I just bought an Akai S900 for $36. Has anybody ever had any experience with this sampler? I think I got a bargain!!

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
i've played with one... and ur right that is a bargain... if it's the one i'm thinkin of... it's like a $210 rack sampler right? with a floppy? but yeah its pretty nice... but i don't normally fuck with hardware samplers these days... if i did i'd buy back the old 2000XL... but the deal u got is dope... and i'd hold on to that... cos it's soon to be a classic piece of hardware!

loanshark316

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yea, it's the one with floppy drive. Doesn't have a SCSI port though. But, thats okay. It actually cost me $76, including the shipping.

berserk said:
i've played with one... and ur right that is a bargain... if it's the one i'm thinkin of... it's like a $210 rack sampler right? with a floppy? but yeah its pretty nice... but i don't normally fuck with hardware samplers these days... if i did i'd buy back the old 2000XL... but the deal u got is dope... and i'd hold on to that... cos it's soon to be a classic piece of hardware!

ill o.g.
Thats a nice sampler. That one is 12-bit sampling last i checked. I think you can buy the scsi upgrade. Its worth it. You wont hafto flip through floppys every time you wanna save or load. Does your have the assignable outputs? Thats good for using kind of like a sound module for your mpc or whatever your usin. You wont even need any sounds in your mpc. You can make the beat straight with just that for sounds. 1mb aint much. But once you learn to use 1mb, usin these 32mb workstations and all that is easy as fuck.

loanshark316

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I don't know if it has the assignable outputs. I haven't yet received it.

helix said:
Thats a nice sampler. That one is 12-bit sampling last i checked. I think you can buy the scsi upgrade. Its worth it. You wont hafto flip through floppys every time you wanna save or load. Does your have the assignable outputs? Thats good for using kind of like a sound module for your mpc or whatever your usin. You wont even need any sounds in your mpc. You can make the beat straight with just that for sounds. 1mb aint much. But once you learn to use 1mb, usin these 32mb workstations and all that is easy as fuck.

faint

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yeah u got a good deal the 900 is the same as the 950 which a few producers still use like premo easy mo bee and large professor the sound is insane very heavy and chunky listen to alotta 90 s hip hop to hear how it sounds itdoes have 8 outs i dont think u can get a scsi upgrade for the 900 i think its just the 950 u betta off with floppies cause its slow as hell

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
SCSI is way faster than floppies
id never fuck with floppies again, so unreliable & slow
if i had a sampler like the 900 or 950 i would just sample the sound i wanted to have 12bit reduction to, then resample it in whatever other software/hardware im usin..

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Used to own a s950 which had the same sampling engine as the mpc60 I dunno if the s900 does or not....you need a manual to fully grasp the assignments & menus etc.......I don't think there is a Biiig difference between that sampler except maybe memory limits etc..and 1 or two features....... but yeah its 12 bits and punchy, outputs are assignable and I was using it with my computer for awhile.....
check this link out
http://www.synthmuseum.com/akai/akas90001.html

30CRATES

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 22
I Doubt I Would Ever Let Go Of My 950. I Brought Mines Used Back In 97' And Paid About $800. Very Rugged, And The Sound Is Dirty. I Use My Sp1200 To Trigger The Sounds In The 950.

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
s900 was my first peice of equip..It's cool you need a midi controller for it and programing it is a bitch

Dj premier uses that with the mpc60 together