Leasing a beat???

G-MATRIIX

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
What up

Could some tell me what is all involved with leasing a beat to someone? What would be the right way to go about it.

Thanx

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
If you lease your music, you can then release it to somebody else, provided that you agree with that with the party who wants to lease your beat.

It's a good, if dishonest, way to make money.

Sincerely,
God

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I've never heard of leasing music...is this the same as licensing?

Nick

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Yes that's the right term vitamin Man I hear this leasing thing alot, sounds like I am getting dvd for a few nights or something...but basically your work is just like a piece of software....you can give a license out and you can create all of the terms of the license and then sell exclusive or non exclusive licenses, you don't really need a lawyer for this but its best you do get one to review or either create a few good license agreements for you to make sure you won't get taken advantage of....I have sold more than a few tracks based on licenses ...you can dictate how much control over the track you want to give.....If you have the copyright and are the owner of it you can either keep the copyright or you can transfer it and all rights depending on it you want to sell out completely but if you do this you have to get all of your money out of it you can....because you give everything up....just like an artist that sells a painting.....
any time you see royalty free it means that the seller has forgone any royalties but he usually is selling the beat or track over and over again just milking every dime out of it he can.....there's nothing wrong or dishonest about any of that....it's your work and your biz....and most of all if you are able to explain the terms to the buyer of the license and they agree....no misunderstandings.....

G-MATRIIX

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
big dogg do you have a sample contract I could look @?

Originally posted by bigdmakintrax
Yes that's the right term vitamin Man I hear this leasing thing alot, sounds like I am getting dvd for a few nights or something...but basically your work is just like a piece of software....you can give a license out and you can create all of the terms of the license and then sell exclusive or non exclusive licenses, you don't really need a lawyer for this but its best you do get one to review or either create a few good license agreements for you to make sure you won't get taken advantage of....I have sold more than a few tracks based on licenses ...you can dictate how much control over the track you want to give.....If you have the copyright and are the owner of it you can either keep the copyright or you can transfer it and all rights depending on it you want to sell out completely but if you do this you have to get all of your money out of it you can....because you give everything up....just like an artist that sells a painting.....
any time you see royalty free it means that the seller has forgone any royalties but he usually is selling the beat or track over and over again just milking every dime out of it he can.....there's nothing wrong or dishonest about any of that....it's your work and your biz....and most of all if you are able to explain the terms to the buyer of the license and they agree....no misunderstandings.....