Let's Talk About FL Studio... (video)

• beat this! voting starts in...
I only really start to notice it when FL gets into the 60% and up CPU load range. The Dirty North beat I made a few weeks ago was hovering at 80-90% CPU by the end of it and it absolutely required me to turn the latency up because it became impossible to even play in the timeline. It would play it at effectively quadruple time and sound like a garbled mess. Generally I have the latency turned all the way down. I think the only way to effectively do it is to mix down the beat itself and then put it in the timeline as an audio file. I couldn't imagine trying to rap over a beat with 40ms of latency. It would effectively work like a speech jammer. At that point though, you might as well mix down and transfer to a program like Cubase that's much more suitable to recording vocals.
yeah, I agree. FL Studio is perfectly well suited to beat making, just not so much for recording sessions. Nearly every other DAW handles recording audio in much the same way. Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, Acid Pro, Reaper, Studio One, its just FL Studio that has to be different.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
yeah, I agree. FL Studio is perfectly well suited to beat making, just not so much for recording sessions. Nearly every other DAW handles recording audio in much the same way. Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, Acid Pro, Reaper, Studio One, its just FL Studio that has to be different.

Probably because Fruity Loops started off without audio/recording capabilities and it was something they added really quite late to the game. Which was big news when it happened.

From the sounds of it FL handles the whole signal flow in a very unconventional way --- there's a reason why all the orher daws handle things in a similar way to eacher... and that's because they digitally represent the real world process of mixing consoles and Studio workflows. That's why if you understand signal flow, it becomes a lot easier to approach DAWs, as you know what it is you're trying to do. I mean I'm sure that applies to approaching FL too.

But I think because of this, it's why many FL users (with no real world exp or other daw) are like completely "wtf" when it comes to other DAWs calling them "complicated" when they're really pretty straight forward.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
But I think because of this, it's why many FL users (with no real world exp or other daw) are like completely "wtf" when it comes to other DAWs calling them "complicated" when they're really pretty straight forward.
Hah, yep, thats pretty much me. I spent a lot of time scratching my head when i got some new toys that came with demo versions of other DAWs and eventually gave up in favor of going back to FL. I don't see either or bad per-say. I will say that FL's stock plugins are rather underwhelming, but i mean at least its not like it was back when all the "Legacy" sounds were all you had to work with. I don't know what other programs have to offer because i never really got too far into them.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Granted, I never upgraded past FL10, but one of the biggest issues I've always had with it was recording linear tracks as opposed to patterns. In Sonar, I have a pattern tool that I can use for my drum tracks or samples, etc. But when I need a linear track to play on, I simply click and record. I haven't been on FL in a good long while but about two weeks ago I was attempting a track and got frustrated 'cause I couldn't remember how to do this one simple thing. And in FL it's really not a linear track, it's just long pattern track.

members online