Interviews Licks

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Out of every ten talented self-sufficient artists I scan the "space" universe for; there is one that totally stands out from the crowd in a very bizarre tasty "crushable" way. Everything about this individual stands out and makes him or her more noticeable. In the case of a dude from the UK who happens to go by the name of "Licks" my first reaction was "Huh, no way did his music profile say Hip Hop he looks like a punk rocker to me". Then my snooping ass just kept scanning the page because well I'm just nosey. I came across the tracks and listened, my head started bobbing, was I on a boat ride around the Statue of Liberty? OK, dude got a little something going on with his Mohawk having self! I'm feeling it; it's flavorful, different and catching crazy feelings all the way from both sides of the US, California to New York City. Relax with me, as I dissect the man behind the "licks".

licks1.jpg

You are an extraordinary artists, I say this with my strongest opinion because you are more flexible than a teen cheerleader.

I've been thinking out the box lately some people love it and some are finding it hard to adjust their ears. My sound is really for people with two left ears and a neon soul, you dig! But thank you.

I can tell you're way out the box with that "Floss Angeles" joint DAMN IT!! It's like that poppy shit but it's not does that make sense?

Yeah Dana La Rock is a real star, she's doing big things in LA and I wish her all the best. I made the beat around 2 years and she picked that from my beat tape and dropped the version in 2 weeks. I got to admit that's a big beat for any artist to take on but Dana was up for that challenge.

Ok iight maybe I'll get to "Crush" her lata but now it's about you so stop being so modest and tell me how fucking dope YOU are.

Cool let's start.

What u mean? The interview started like 20 minutes ago! LOL.

LOL.

See I told you I'm so fresh with my shit you didn't even know I was "grilling" you ha-ha! I LOVE IT!

Ha! You got jokes for me; I love that, now more about me.

Yes you! Listen I was raised in the USVI, St. Croix it used to be British territory so I digs your lingo. When I was growing up and I heard "licks" that meant some body was about to get that ass whooped!! Is that where you were going with the alias? You're whopping ass when it comes to the beats?

Yeah! Pow-Pow! Lick 'em down!

LMAO! How'd you get that name?

My name Licks is short for Licker. It was given at an early age. I played a lot of Basketball as a youth and I used to lick my fingers to get a grip on the ball. From then on I was labeled Licker, then Licks for short. I've been Licker for about 14 years. Ha-ha! Get to known about that Pink. But the ladies still get it twisted when I tell them, "Call me Licks".

(Dumb sarcastic like) NO! No, heavens no when we ladies hear the word "lick", we KNOW that you're actually talking about moistening (clears throat) your finger tips to grip a damn basketball! (Gas face).

LOL!! You got more jokes?

I wont lie that's what caught my attention at first then the stars on your neck then the Mohawk your appearance and name threw me off you just always expect someone "hip hop" to have baggy everything and iced out eye balls, are some shit man it shouldn't even BE about the way someone looks it's the soul you can't see that, but you damn sure can FEEL IT!

Don't get me wrong I start with, DKNY wind breakers and Fubu baseball tops. But that isn't me, that's why I show love to everyone because that hobo on the street could be the next big star. Real talent comes from within; wearing a big ass t-shirt and air force 1 will not make the track sound any better. To each their own ya know, don't get me wrong I still floss a little.

I can dig it! What turned you onto production? All the occupations in the world you want to make beats? Why or was you an emcee first?

I started off writing, I've always wrote 16's. But my heart is in the beats. I'm a real critique of music and I wasn't feeling my rap style, it wasn't 110% for me. I still write hooks and drop the odd verse but beats come from inside. That power and passion I got it! Hearing certain old school records would make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I'm serious about production aw man. From the sound of an ice-cream van to Dre's chronic album and anything Curtis Mayfield ever did was hot! But you know I still have my day job. I have lots of free time to master the art of production. It's like working two jobs at the moment. I've been making tracks for four years and only this year I've started to work with artists and really push this as a career. I could have put tracks out back then but I sat back, studied the game and learned what the hell I was doing. It's not game, it's a way of life.

I'm so amazed at the talent and the passion you producers have to be honest. The very first thing that catches me is the beat, man it's all about the track to me then if I'm feeling it I'll listen to the words.

LOL, we all need something to dance to, beats are the sound track of life.

Word, it's a union. It has to be perfect because a weak ass track can kill the illest emcee/singer and vise verse, so let me ask you, how do you sift through who you want to work with? I know you get hit all the time but I mean you really can't work with everyone.... is there a vibe you get or what makes you say, I can't work with him or her or yes they would be a beast on this track.

There's a fine line with the talent out there. 80% is straight garbage, it takes time to sift thru and find the real talent the cats that are really serious and I can tell who wants this and who's wasting time. I feel some heads create a music profiles on MySpace or wherever to get girls and to act like they're something big I generally get good vibes from the people I'm working with. But people also have to take the chance on me. Being from the UK and working with artists from the States. I sometime get the impression that people think we're all about making tea and the Queen. But it's real out here, the hip hop scene is strong. It's pretty big we got UK Hip Hop, Grime and Baseline and it's all rolled into one right now. UK has mad crazy artists; people here will work for 20 pounds a week to make music all day.

LOL! Tea and the Queen, that's funny. Yea well, we got Arizona Iced Tea and Lil' Kim "The Queen Bee"! What!? YO! Do you guys really stop everything and have like a daily massive "tea time"? LOL.

Ha-ha! I'm having a cup of tea right now. I think old people still have afternoon tea though. LOL I prefer Coffeyshop and a copy of URB magazine.

What's this Coffeyshop you talking about? Are you free advertising on my shit?

Ha-ha!! The jokes keep coming. Hip hop got real big out here a few years ago and the clubs were playing all the bubblegum stuff but it got played out, the market couldn't take it anymore, there's still spots that play a lot of Usher but I had to go to a spot and listen to Dilla. CoffeyShop Productions is what I started, the production company from where I'll be releasing Licks beats plus other artists and production in the future. Think CoffeyShop, think soul beats, drinking coffee while reading the Sunday papers; relaxing times.

licks2.jpg

Interesting, I fucking knew it! (That's going to be $5.95 for the plug-in homie!) When you have an itch to crack a beat how do you prepare for this?

I wake up everyday and want to make beats, if I can't I will later that day. I like to dig , sit back and listen, see what's going on online and get down to work. I'm very inspired and like soak up everything. I take inspiration from everywhere; books, comics, art, sitting on the bus even talking to the man at the corner store. I just have a love for music; apart from sex, there's nothing I love better then relaxing chopping up a sample and flipping it.

WORD up! I hear that hot shit!! LMAO! So what type of Ginsu do you prefer to use when you chop? What's in your kitchen?

There's always a mixture of flavor with what I bring to the table on my plate I have the MPC2000, various keyboards, Reason, Sound Forge, Audition, Fruity Loops etc. I like to change it up. I don't play any games. I even have the SNES and mega drive hooked up!

OK you're not playing, I don't know what the hell you just said but it sounds major. SNES to me is "Super Nintendo Entertainment System" but I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about.

LOL yeah, I make loops from old video games!

Word ta muvah! I was right ha-ha! Ain't that something, is my "blonde" showing? I thought it was some new MPC or some shit. What's the hardest thing for you when it comes to production and the easiest?

The hardest for me is to not go too far out the box when it comes to production. I like to push the limits, sometimes over complex the beat were the rapper can't even get on that now and it becomes a soundtrack or instrumental. 2015 we pushing the limits trying to give my look on things, making beats isn't that hard you got to be mad original; you got to have that ear and parents who listen to the Beatles and the Jackson 5 while growing up. You can never be toO critical of your own work, pass it out, get feedback... I known my neighbors hear my tracks on the daily.

Yes, it's cool to have a love for all music genres! Speaking of hits, tell me about the Academy beat. Where did you get that sample, what were you thinking kid that beat is banana soup! "Crazy".

LOL Academy is crazy I was sitting on that beat for a minute but then I heard Paul Scientific. He's from Chicago and he had a mix tape out, and he was killing all my favorite beats. I had to get Academy to him we also did the joint called 'Standing Ovation' from 2015 mix tape, that will blow you, that shit's epic! You have to get your own samples Pink! Ha-ha!

WTF!? Stingy ass! Listen pimpin', I don't fuck with an MPC (for now) I leave that up to you ill producers. From the UK to the US! Was it hard finding artists and putting the mix tape together because of the distance?

2015 the mix tape was put together from networking over the internet sending vocals back and forth. It's about a year in the making; I wanted unsigned, raw talent to work with. I basically sent out flyers promoting the mix tape and whole bunch. The feedback was incredible, it built from there. I got artists from Chicago, LA, NY, and ATL etc. I guess people were hearing the vibes and wanted to be a part of this. It's been hard work, very testing at times trying to keep all on top of all the tracks and choosing right people, feel this year has started to be the making of me I've learn so much and feel the progress has been amazing. The journey has been dope. The support has been overwhelming, from the interview to artists to fans to the graphic designers. I got so much love for the people out there. It's been all about making hot music no matter where you live, helping out new talent giving world wide exposure.

That's fresh and that's why I do what I do. I love dopeness and fly ass people doing anything with hip hop culture, soul, classic rock, disco, blues, jazz, contemporary, dude just music. I don't think I can do what you do; you're dope on the tracks. Tell me some of the producers that help give you your flame.

I got to give it up for producers like Madlib, Dilla, Premo, Large P, Pete Rock and cats like Switch, Toddla T and Diplo who are taking that electronic sound to a whole new level. Havoc and the old bad boy hit men, the old New York '94-'98 era was big on the beats. Can't forget Rza, he is still one of the greatest.

I dig RZA. I'm going to try and see if he'll crush with me. But he's big time now, I don't know! LOL, what time is it over there anyway? It's 11AM here in Brooklyn

Right now it's around 4pm here in the UK.

Aw man! It's nap time! Let's wrap it up Licker, I always do by playing a game. Let's play "This or That" Ok?

Cool let's do this.

Yay!! ::Claps hands:: OK, here we go: Favorites! JAMES BOND: Pierce Bronson or Sean Connery?

Halle Berry.

You fool! LOL he said to hell with them dudes give me the chick! LOL I can dig it baby QUEEN: Elizabeth II or Lil Kim?

Lil kim hands down.

OK but we'll keep that a secret if Queen Lizzy finds out you might get licked your damn self!! LOLlzz

Or nicked.

Oh snap! We don't want that homie! Check it! Before I put this joint out, are there any smoke signals you want to send to anyone? I suggest you pass one to the Queen. Ha-ha!

LOL! I'd like to thank you Pink for having me, it's been cool and much laid back! If we're in New York next year you can show me the sites so do keep in touch. Watch out for 2015 the mixtape my production project dropping November 29th 2008. It's featuring artists from the UK to the US. It will be available on free download for promotional use only. Big shout outs to everyone out there showing support to me and the whole CoffeyShop movement. The New York man WordSpit, J.A.I and Junclassic. Mr. Who holding down Fort Tron. Shout to the L.A lady, Dana La Rock. The Whole KeyCity Crew, Devinn, Sucker4clothes.com, Flyteq.com, Dee Jay, Imagine, Resun, Bodega Bamz, Who Mixed this and Shake Aletti.

Much love right there! (In my dopest British accent/passing my imaginary sword on shoulders). You have been officially "Crushed by PinkCookiz!" Ha-ha! Thanks for vibing with me! Fuck yea; I'm still learning my way around the apple but we could all get lost together. I'm down so yes, do keep in touch!

Thank you Pink! Make sure you check out www.myspace.com/coffeyshop

Oh I'm on my way! Man, we can vibe over a cup of tea anytime UK! Keep banging baby!

Remember we all don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you may not be right for soooooome... anyway! (giggle) It just puts more emphasis on the quote "never judge a fudge by its flavor" or for you "normal" folk "Don't judge a book by its cover" Ha-ha! I'm always flipping shit to make my taste buds sizzle with a different flare. Umm I think that's the entire idea with this crush, be yourself, be free, give the world that part of you that was always afraid to shine because you were afraid of the reaction you'd get by being so different. So I've learned today that the UK has a lot more to offer than afternoon tea; when it comes to the Hip Hop scene you'll be super surprised by its hidden dopeness. Licks is not afraid to bring his unusually ill passion to the table in hopes that other heads can feel his vision and together, create a vibe that will suite the ears of many. It's finger licking good, the beats that is. But you don't have to take my glossed lips for it, check out his page and "sekkle with a shot of Brandy and tea!"

members online