Interviews Lion The Uncommon Samurai Interview

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
lion-the-uncommon-samurai1-271x300.jpg

Lion The Uncommon Samurai has been an Illmuzik member since 2005. Hailing from Detroit, he's both emceeing and producing and has recently released an album entitled "Writing on the mind". I caught up with him and we talked about his passion for Graffiti, Detroit Hip Hop, the making of the LP and more.

Sup Lion ?

W'sup

Could you please briefly introduce yourself?

I'm Lion, the Uncommon Samurai, Rapper, Producer, Owner of JUST Muziq and born and raised in Detroit, MI.

How and why did you pick "Lion The Uncommon Samurai" as your artist/stage name?

It actually comes from one of my best friends that described me as a Lion, in strength, heart and pride. As for the 'Uncommon Samurai' part, well I've been into all kinds of martial arts, especially the "ways of the samurai".

Who are your main influences emceeing-wise? What about production-wise?

I come across so many cats and mostly all of them influence me somehow, new, old, underground, mainstream, I'd say some of the common influences like Outkast, Nas, Jay-Z, Wu-Tang, ATCQ, DITC, some a bit more uncommon like Lupe, Blu, MF DOOM, The Furious Five. For production, again like Emcee influences, it ranges. I'd say Cats like Flying Lotus, Nujabes, DJ Premier, MadLib, JayDee, a whole lot more for both and that's just counting hip-hop.

What's your current setup like?

Pretty simple I think. My computer is the center piece, MIDI controllers like the MPD24 and most recently the Novation Launchpad. M-Audio on the In's and Out's with the Fast Track Pro and AV40 Monitors. Then there's my bass guitar which I pull out from time to time.

What's your beat-making approach?

Ah! For that I've almost always been a 'just do it' type. I may have something in my head, from a sample or an instrument, plugin, anything really. It builds from there and not long after I have a song. Not really magic, I keep it simple. I'd get distracted otherwise.

Do you collect records? How often do you go digging?

I do have a record collection. I don't go diggin' too often though. I actually have too many records for my space right now. Haha

It's obvious you're really into Graffiti culture, are you a Graffiti artist?

Nah, I'm not a writer. I do get my hand in some graffiti art now and then and even slap some stickers here and there as some guerrilla marketing. I just consider myself of a Graffiti enthusiast.

What do you like about it versus other disciplines of Hip Hop?

Graffiti, its a different mode of expression like the rest of the four original elements of hip-hop. The way it's done and the many different ways it's done is just so slick and inspiring to so many things I do. Plus, I like the cat and mouse stories with writers and vandal squad and the irony of the cops inherently becoming fans of the artists they chase.

In your opinion, is Graffiti declining?

Not declining, just have to know who to look at. It's like when people said "Hip-Hop is Dying/Dead," but those who listened to "real" hip-hop knew better than to look at only pop music for a statement about hip-hop as a whole. On the same line, looking at toys and gangs lazy tags isn't a fair judgment. Plus, there's a lot of writers that now lead successful lives - We all know Marc Ecko with his clothing line and even a video game, Obey is selling art and done the iconic 'hope' poster for the Obama campaign, plenty others,but I won't rant.

You've recently released an album entitled "Writing on the mind", what's the main concept behind it? Did you do all the production?

I did do all the production, it started out from the first track of the same title. I already had the first verse written and I knew then that I wanted to do an album in the theme of graffiti. From there I started getting more and more ideas from movies, art, graffiti tales and it became what you hear today.

Any guests on the album?

Yep yep, Grand Styles, he's a real reliable cat. He can do almost any song you ask and he comes with it fast. Sospiro, I've done a track with him before and he is just so smooth. Terrific Lyricist. I was actually a little bothered that he took the whole track, but it was so dope it was impossible for me to be mad at him. Emonic, Ms. Vybe and 4nsic, These are a batch of nice artists, I can't really speak on them too much as I just recently discovered them, but hopefully I can work with them again soon.

I've noticed your rhyme style is quite abstract/metaphorical, it's not something you hear that often these days. How did you develop this approach?

Well I've been into poetry and writing for a long time. Writing since I was young, reading philosophy books, novels, then there's the games, movies and plethora of music. I guess you can say I became what I read, watch and listen to.

Detroit is known for producing Eminem, one of the greatest emcees of all time to many. Don't you think it's somewhat ironic he had to be from a predominantly Black city? Is that something people talk about there?

It is talked about a bit, even joke that everyone in the city is connected to Eminem within 3 people, but usually its mostly about Detroit talent as a whole. Interestingly enough, he lived just up north in Warren, MI. But its close enough and he spent more time in the D. It's not really about being in a black city though. The thing to look at is all the talent coming out of the city. Obviously the original Motown musicians from in it's heyday, Kid Rock, ICP, etc. the talent and the pressure to push for greatness is strong here, same goes for cities like NY and Chicago.

Besides Eminem & friends, how's the Detroit Hip Hop scene these days?

The scene is still good and getting better. We're getting more and more people listening to local artists again and not as much of riding on mainstream artists. The mainstream will be there and we still listen, but local talent is getting the attention it deserves again. It's traveling further than the city limits as well so its not just Detroit being aware of itself. I have something planned that will hopefully even further raise awareness, not just of artists but of the city itself.

Do you have any new projects in the works?

Defiantly, my mind will never let my body stop. I have a short album called 'Artificial Shortage' planned, which I started working on just a couple days after I released 'Writing on the Mind.' An album with Sospiro, currently untitled and a few more Solo LP's, one without me rapping, just production.

Thanks a lot for your time. Any shout outs?

Thank you as well.Shouts to all of IllMuzik. My people on JUST Muziq. All my features, I think it rounds the album more. All of my Family and Friends. Also, all past girlfriends still got love for you all, just didn't work out.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Good Stuff!