Live on stage......

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you got informations about your first live expirience, tipps for newcomers etc. Post 'em!!!!

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
All kind of tipps, for me as a dj, and for the rest of the crew as mc's!!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hmmm. Back in '98 I competed at the Montreal DMC's and it was my first time ever on stage performing as a DJ. I had DJ'd a bunch of parties before, but never with a huge crowd like that.

I was a little nervous at first, so I threw down a Heineken to loosen me up and when I got on stage and behind the 1s and 2s, I was fine. I felt right at home. I fucked up a bit (nothing really noticeable) and the whole vibe and energy from the crowd got me pumped even more.

Overall, I was just glad to be performing because it was something I had wanted to do for the longest time. Deep down I knew that I wanted to win and be the DMC world champion (LOL) but basically, I just wanted to have fun. And I did!

Really, nothing beats the feeling of getting up on stage and performing, especially with something you love doing. I didn't win the competition, but I can tell you that I left there with a lot of people's respect - it's not easy for some people to get up there!

Barock, why do you ask? Are you going to be hittin' the stage soon?

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah, it's gonna be my first time on the stage with my group "Mosaik Kollektiv"... 200-300 peopel will be there we open for some "big" German act....

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Congratulations! What part do you have in your group? Are you the DJ?

Just remember to have fun and go up there with a "don't give a fuck" attitude. Don't worry about how you look or if you're gonna fuck up, who cares. Just have fun, and you should be comfortable when you're up there. Try to get a good sound check too, that way you'll have a good feel for the stage and the club.

Oh yeah and if you get on the mic, say "YO I WANNA GIVE A SHOUTOUT TO WWW.ILLMUZIK.COM". :)

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
just some advice ...
a) make sure you have 2 copies of your beats. cds are cheap but tend to skip and stuff.
b) also make sure they have a cd player with esp
c) do a soundcheck! make sure your mic is leveled out correctly and the monitors work for you. (we once played a gig without monitors and that was quite an experience ;-)
I also know some guys who bring their own mics ...
d) practice hard! if you are up there and you got your name on the flyer you want to show yourself @ your best.
e) interact with the crowd. there is a difference between mcing and rapping.
f) you´re not in a rush. before we start a track we tell a small story ´bout the next track. what it´s about and stuff. that way it is easier for the crowd to relate to the lyrics.
g) work out a program! Starting with a banging track is a good idea.
h) if there are several rappers they should back each other. That way monotony can be avoided and it just sounds better.
i) don´t make people shout your name unless you are some local hero
j) if you have a record out it is okay to tell people about it. just don´t advertise it all the time. i always get pissed if i paid for a jam and it turns out to be some sales show.
j) but most important: have fun and show that you love what you are doing. people will feel you and you´ll have a good time!

good luck and have a good time. i will be around that area next week and I might stop by.

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo! Thanks for that Feedback

@Fade I'll give props to illmuzik.com fo' sho'!!!! I produced 5 and coproduced 1 of the 6 tracks we'll be playing... And of course I dj...

@H2O thanks, that's alot o' advice! Would be cool if you come... The Beat with the train sound will be shown!

C

Copenhagen

HaZwaiOh, please exchange such information via Private Mails, thank you :)

Barock

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Bruchsal is about 50km to Heidelberg... so on the Autobahn it's about 30-45 minutes...

members online