MixTape Clearance Needed?

trykome

CEO DFM Promoter/Emcee/Turntablist /Producer-(+)-
ill o.g.
Yo what i gotta quick question do i need to get clearence for every song i put on a mix tape..... for now im just gonna pass em out and get my name out there but i would like to evetually make some kibby on em so that is why i am wondering about this any help would be appreciated

Try What TryKome

trykome

ill o.g.
cool thanks maing

Ambition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you look at most mixtape they are for promaotional use only and in order to sell them they say that you are paying for the cover art because a lot of stuff on mixtapes aren't cleared yet check out the dip-sets mixtapes then listen to the album verson lyrics and samples changed when Kanye went through it. So sell the cover not the cd

trykome

ill o.g.
ahhhh ok i am all over that then thanks man i love this place like a bowl full a knowledge that keeps on burning
Try What TryKome

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I dont know man! Watch out for the FEDZ, They hound people for stuff like that!

Nah, I'm just fuckin with you homie... It will be all good, I doubt someone would come at some no name cat and try to sue you over that... They know your just a hungry emcee tryin to get into something... HUSTLE HARD SON!!!

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you pass them out I am pretty sure they cannot sue you especially if you give them credit, because you did not make money off it and plus Feds tend to go after big name cases where they can set an example to America, if they take up some new MC from out in New Rapper City, Kansas they won't get a positive look in the polls and federal operations are more politics now than protection or any of that

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
Just put them tapes out maign! you know how floded the streets are with tapes aint nobody gon tell u shit until u start breaking mad bread!

itsyaboypc

ill o.g.
yeah i dont think they will dont anything to us unknown mcs, im bout to put a mixtape too. holla at me when you finish yours i wanna hear. be easy

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
As far as I know, if it's a compilation mix tape, you have more leniency than you do if your distributing a solo project. Also like ambition said, you're paying for the art and getting a complimentary CD.

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You need permission to use copyrighted material. Period. It doesn't matter if your giving it away, promotional use only, seling the cover art, you need permission. You need permission form the master copyright holder to use the track, and from the publisher to create a physical duplication which is called a mechanical copyright. Without these permissions and or paying royalties you could be sued.

HOWEVER.

The hip-hop industry has a long standing silent agreement that they don't go after mixtapes because they help with the promotion of the music. If you really are just giving your tapes out for free, then the hip-hop industry is not going to bother you. If your selling them, it is still VERY unlikely that they are going to bother you, but you increase your chances.

An example of when the music industry did care: Danger Mouse put out the Gray Album, the famous blend of Jay-Z's Black Album and the Beatles White Album. The album was released for free. Some stores were selling copies they downloaded, but this had nothing to do with Danger Mouse. The hip-hop industry, which is very used to mixtapes didn't care. Jay-Z put out an a cappella version, of course thats what people were going to do with it. However, the Beatles catalog, the publishing rights owned mostly by Michael Jackson, sued. They thought Danger Mouse was making a profit off the Beatles catalog because the CD was being sold in stores. When they found out that he wasn't making money, and didn't have any money, they took other legal recourse. In order to avoid being sued he had to sign over some of his future music earnings as a producer to them. In their mind he became famous by breaking copyright law, and leveraging the Beatles catalog.

The moral of the story is, if you can stay under the radar your probably going to be ok. When you gain national attention, there are going to be some people at the top with their hand out.

BAUSMAN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo that sux for DM. he just came up with some creative shit that ppl were feeling and ended up getting fuct cup ppl trying to profit off his work. im guess nothing happened to the store owners that was selling the shit

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm looking at some of the comments and I'm just shaking my head. Just put the dam tape out. If people come looking to hem you up at least you are heard. I know of somebody who got caught not clearing a sample and all he got was a warning letter since he wasn't on no major. Stop worring about the bullshit. Hip hop videos use to have to be shot without permits because they woulnd't allow it, just put the music out if its dope. Most of us are to low under the radar to get busted

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bhunt said:
I'm looking at some of the comments and I'm just shaking my head. Just put the dam tape out. If people come looking to hem you up at least you are heard. I know of somebody who got caught not clearing a sample and all he got was a warning letter since he wasn't on no major. Stop worring about the bullshit. Hip hop videos use to have to be shot without permits because they woulnd't allow it, just put the music out if its dope. Most of us are to low under the radar to get busted

agreed

members online