More keyboard stuff

B

Bobby Peru

Just to show how much I appreciate your help; here's another question!:

Is there anyway to record what you're playing directly into a software sequencer using sounds from the keyboard?

And how would one go about setting this up?

hope this makes sense...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hmmmm...

Okay let's see if I can help.

Of course you can record the sounds you're playing from your keyboard into a sequencer. Do you want to record it as MIDI or as audio? Your best bet is to record it in MIDI. Basically you would just have the keyboard hooked up to your soundcard like I mentioned in the other post.

Once you have the keyboard hooked up properly, you won't have any more trouble with this stuff! Did you get that dude to check it out for you?

B

Bobby Peru

naw, not yet...

But since MIDI doesn't send actual sound I would obviously need a cable (I know the type, can't remember right now though) connected to the Line-in on my soundcard, right?

But I was wondering if this only enables me to record in soundforge and stuff like that; or if that combination of cables is exactly what I need to use keyboard sounds in a sequencer...

I just realized what you said about all this being easier once I get it connected properly... Yeah... I guess i'll call that guy now...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah you'll need the cable with a joystick input at one end and at the other end is two parts: MIDI In and MIDI Out.

Hook up the joystick end to the back of your computer where the joystick port is and hook up the MIDI In to the MIDI Out of your keyboard, then hook up the MIDI Out to the MIDI In of your keyboard.

By doing that, you can send and receive MIDI between your keyboard and soundcard. If you had just a MIDI controller keyboard, then it would only have a MIDI Out port. That's because a MIDI controller keyboard only controls MIDI files from a soundcard or software, or a sound module. But if you have a regular keyboard, then you should have MIDI In and MIDI Out on it.

MIDI Out of your keyboard will send messages, and MIDI In will receive messages from your soundcard. Meaning, if you record what you're playing into a software program with MIDI, then when you go to play your performance back on your computer, it will trigger your keyboard to play the sounds back.

It all sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Like I said, get it hooked up right, and then it will much easier for you to understand, and easier for me to help you out. :D

members online